Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Incursion - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 10 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Incursion Enter Metallix...

#16 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:28 AM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
Option 1. No contest.

#17 User is offline 360 

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:39 AM

• Daft Punk Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Option 1. Option 2 is at a strange angle that makes it confusing to follow Sonic's movement. I'm surprised there's not more encouragement for this game on here. During the prime of Sonic fangaming something like this would have been considered amazing and godlike. You're doing some amazing work man. This looks very promising. I think ultimately all this project needs are some technical tweaks based on the feedback you've received here (which you're already doing looking at your most recent updates) and you could potentially have something fantastic here. Keep up the good work.

#18 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:45 AM

• FML and FU2
Well there's a couple reasons why this project hasn't garnered much attention. It's pretty much what happened with BlitzSonic.

You're on the right track though, Ell. Just do something about that foreground. I recognize you've built alot of the level already and it'll be hard to change it all, but trust me when I say that doing so will go a LONG way to making your game look a ton better.

#19 User is offline Covarr 

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:13 PM

• Sentient Cash Register
  • Wiki edits:1
I like the idea, but I think it needs significant toning down. Four things I'd do:
1. Increase Sonic's minimum horizontal speed before the camera starts rotating. As it is, it fluctuates a lot during heavy platforming segments, and can be really distracting. A speed threshold will help tone this down.
2. Increase the minimum amount of time Sonic needs to be traveling at the minimum speed before the camera starts rotating (maybe half a second above the minimum or so). This buffer will prevent unnecessary camera jerks if the player can't maintain a high speed.
3. Make the camera rotation itself more gradual. The angled camera itself isn't too bad, but if the player actively notices it changing, it can be distracting.
4. Reduce the angle at maximum speed. Right now, it goes just a little bit too far.

All in all, what you should be aiming for here is subtlety. It's okay to get fancy with cameras, but the player should only notice it if they're trying to. The camera's job is to support (and to a lesser extent enhance) the gameplay experience, not to show itself off. If the camera movement stands out too much, it draws attention away from the rest of the game rather than helping it, and therefore isn't properly doing its job.

#20 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:12 AM

I cant remember seeing a game with so much exaggerated crepuscular rays shadows. Do you yourself think they make the game prettier?

#21 User is offline Falk 

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:54 AM

Option 1 - It instantly gives a much more platformey feel.

I think you could incorporate a little bit of Option 2 into it as well by very, very slightly rotating after a certain speed threshold is met.

#22 User is offline Deef 

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:36 PM

Option 2 was pretty yeugh. Definitely 1.

#23 User is offline Zetaneko 

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

• Project:Sonic: Ascension
Just keep working it, just like polishing rusted metal, the more time and patience you put into it, the more it looks clean, professional and shinier! :eng101:

Pretty lame simile I know :v:

#24 User is offline Ell678 

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:03 AM

• Am I Annoying You?
  • Project:Sonic Incursion
  • Wiki edits:6
That's exactly right!

For those who are interested, the camera has been changed across the board. When I get some replacement music for the first level, I will upload a new version of the demo which I hope you will enjoy more. Progress on other levels is steady, if a little slower than it has been. Have a couple of WIP screenshots.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 User is offline Zetaneko 

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:54 PM

Nice! The last screenshot looks beautiful and vivid. But on the first screenshot, you need to edit the material of the corkscrew, I would recommend at least just putting a texture coordinate node on the end of the texture sample, and set the U and V coords to about 0.2 so that the texture wont look as repeated and grid-like. Other than that, keep it up man! Coincidentally I'm working on something right now very similar to that, the bloom and DOF is a nice touch.

#26 User is offline Ell678 

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:47 AM

• Am I Annoying You?
It's been a while since I've posted something. It won't be long until I upload a replacement demo - one that is much improved.

Posted Image
This post has been edited by Ell678: 26 July 2014 - 05:47 AM

#27 User is offline Xaklse 

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

• Wiki edits:11
It does look better, looking forward to it.

I see you improved the monitor...

#28 User is offline Zetaneko 

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:50 AM

I like the skybox and water material your using. There are a few improvements though that I think would help aesthetically.

a. The contrast between the trees and sand seems to be a bit jarring. What I would do is either edit the texture and blend the sand texture and the normal bark texture slightly on the bottom in a gradient fashion would cover that, or another option would be to add a bit of foliage, eg. bushes, long grass etc. around the base of the trees (If you need any like that I'd be happy to lend you some great models)

b. The rainbow texture on the sails of the boats look a bit static. A good idea would be to make a quick grainy black & white texture in Photoshop, or even Paint, and then in the material editor, multiply the two textures, but with the grainy texture, multiply by that by about 0.3 or whatever works best, and use that result as the input for the multiplication of the rainbow texture and that. Also using the grainy texture as a specular map would help drastically and you'll see lots of improvements.

c. Just like with the previous screenshot you took, try doubling the texture coordinates of the water to make it look higher-res.

d. The skybox does look a touch low-res, so to hide the jagged blurriness of the skybox, you could enable DOF but change the inner radius to an extreme amount just to slightly blur the far islands and the skybox will adjust accordingly.

#29 User is offline Ell678 

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:37 AM

• Am I Annoying You?

View PostZetaneko, on 28 July 2014 - 05:50 AM, said:

I like the skybox and water material your using. There are a few improvements though that I think would help aesthetically.

a. The contrast between the trees and sand seems to be a bit jarring. What I would do is either edit the texture and blend the sand texture and the normal bark texture slightly on the bottom in a gradient fashion would cover that, or another option would be to add a bit of foliage, eg. bushes, long grass etc. around the base of the trees (If you need any like that I'd be happy to lend you some great models)

b. The rainbow texture on the sails of the boats look a bit static. A good idea would be to make a quick grainy black & white texture in Photoshop, or even Paint, and then in the material editor, multiply the two textures, but with the grainy texture, multiply by that by about 0.3 or whatever works best, and use that result as the input for the multiplication of the rainbow texture and that. Also using the grainy texture as a specular map would help drastically and you'll see lots of improvements.

c. Just like with the previous screenshot you took, try doubling the texture coordinates of the water to make it look higher-res.

d. The skybox does look a touch low-res, so to hide the jagged blurriness of the skybox, you could enable DOF but change the inner radius to an extreme amount just to slightly blur the far islands and the skybox will adjust accordingly.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I've been putting foliage throughout the level, but as this is WIP, the background hasn't had much love. As for the rainbow material - I am by no means an artist so that wouldn't have occured to me, thanks for the pointers. The texture coordinate issue that you can see in the previous screenshot is no longer there and the fix is being applied to other offending materials.

#30 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

• FML and FU2
I know it's probably a bit late but...I feel like Sonic should maybe be....bigger? His size in relation to the screen just seems off to me, for some reason. Maybe make the level of zoom more dynamic overall, like how Generations does it.

• 10 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users