Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Overture Thread [Sunrise Gate Zone Demo Available] - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 15 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Overture Thread [Sunrise Gate Zone Demo Available] A Sonic 1 fanmade prequel

#31 User is offline Jassbec 

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

• Lost Prototype
  • Project:Sonic Overture, Zeondrive

View PostBlazeHedgehog, on 08 August 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

This is one of at least two fangames I've played at SAGE that asks to set up controller options when you first boot it up and then when you get to the main menu you have to use a keyboard :v:/>

We have yet to add complete controller support, in the meanwhile, why not use something like JoyToKey?

#32 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

• A "Community Enigma"?
  • Wiki edits:51

View PostJassbec, on 08 August 2014 - 08:02 PM, said:

This is one of at least two fangames I've played at SAGE that asks to set up controller options when you first boot it up and then when you get to the main menu you have to use a keyboard :v:

We have yet to add complete controller support, in the meanwhile, why not use something like JoyToKey?

Well it's not THAT big of a deal, just a little weird.

#33 User is offline Laura 

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:01 AM

• Brightened Eyes
I agree that the spiral was way overused. Sure, it was really cool, but after the fifth time I just sat there thinking 'wow, the guy who made this must have been really chuffed and wants to keep showing it off'.

Otherwise, this was flawless. By far one of the best Sonic fangames I've ever played.

What got me the most was the music in Act 1, absolutely incredible. That's damn good music full stop, real game or fan game. I would say that the robotic voice in the music for Act 2 or Act 3 was a bit over the top. (Was it GLaDOS?).

Phenomenal game though, I hope you can finish this.
This post has been edited by Laura: 09 August 2014 - 05:08 AM

#34 User is offline InfinityInfinity 

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:05 AM

• The Key spamming Pac-Man main
  • Project:Sonic Zodiac

This is one of at least two fangames I've played at SAGE that asks to set up controller options when you first boot it up and then when you get to the main menu you have to use a keyboard :v:/>/>/>/>

This is generally so people can set up the game how they feel comfortable. However, we've not really talked about external controller support for Overture yet as we're focusing more on the game itself right now.

View Postwinterhell, on 08 August 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

It was fun. Maybe you overused the spiral a bit, it occurs at least 5 times in the zone.

Fullscreen does not work for me, could you make an option for 5x or 6x window size?

5x?! Dude, what the hell is your resolution? 3x practically fills my 768px height. :O

View PostLaura said:

I agree that the spiral way way overused. Sure, it was really cool, but after the fifth time I just sat there thinking 'wow, the guy who made this must have been really chuffed and wants to keep showing it off'.

Otherwise, this was flawless. By far one of the best Sonic fangames I've ever played.

What got me the most was the music in Act 1, absolutely incredible. That's damn good music full stop, real game or fan game. I would say that the robotic voice in the music for Act 2 or Act 3 was a bit over the top. (Was it GLaDOS?).

Phenomenal game though, I hope you can finish this.

Seems to be mixed opinions on the gimmick useage right now; it's a little like marmite, y'know? :P
Also, I thought GLaDOS/Portal 2 music but a closer comparison to me would actually be the turret bots.
This post has been edited by InfinityInfinity: 09 August 2014 - 05:17 AM

#35 User is offline Mr Lange 

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:06 AM

• A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys.
  • Project:Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostLaura, on 09 August 2014 - 05:01 AM, said:

I agree that the spiral was way overused. Sure, it was really cool, but after the fifth time I just sat there thinking 'wow, the guy who made this must have been really chuffed and wants to keep showing it off'.

There's six total spiral tunnels in Sunrise Gate, and there's six total S tunnels in Green Hill. The reason the spiral tunnels seem overused is because they're always on the main path and you're stuck in them longer than the S tunnels. In Green Hill, some of the S tunnels were above and below each other on different paths, which distributed them better. The level design for Sunrise Gate is not in stone so we may make such changes. This isn't the only time we've received this criticism.

View PostLaura, on 09 August 2014 - 05:01 AM, said:

Nope, that's my voice.

Thanks for the review, glad you've enjoyed the game so far.
This post has been edited by Mr Lange: 09 August 2014 - 05:17 AM

#36 User is offline Laura 

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:12 AM

• Brightened Eyes
The thing about the spiral tunnels is that they are really cool but they are copied and pasted. And yes, I'm no game designer and it probably doesn't work that simply, but that's how it feels. I get you are emulating the spirit of Sonic 1's S Tunnels, but the spiral tunnels are much more elaborate and it's more obvious that they are repeated since you are in them longer and they are more uniform.

It's a really brilliant game though, you should be proud.

I could also have a higher resolution option :v:/

That's what you do, buy super computers and play Sonic games :v:
This post has been edited by Laura: 09 August 2014 - 05:14 AM

#37 User is online winterhell 

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:54 AM

View PostInfinityInfinity, on 09 August 2014 - 05:05 AM, said:

Fullscreen does not work for me, could you make an option for 5x or 6x window size?

5x?! Dude, what the hell is your resolution? 3x practically fills my 768px height. :O

I've been using a 2560x1440 display at 120Hz for 2 years now. As soon as the 2160p ones can go 96Hz or higher I'm gonna upgrade. It helps tremendously with my programming.

As for the scale, if 1x is 240p then it'd actually need to be 6x, and even more if 1x is 224p. Though 5x is close enough, especially windowed.

#38 User is offline InfinityInfinity 

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:32 PM

• The Key spamming Pac-Man main
  • Project:Sonic Zodiac
Mother of god dude this stuff must cost you a fortune...

#39 User is online Chimera 

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:09 PM

• I'm not a furry.
  • Project:TOO MANY. BUT ONE LESS.
  • Wiki edits:5
Really, really cool fangame. Friend of mine was streaming it a few days ago and I can't see how I missed it. it's full of heart and charming as hell, and I can't wait to see what else you guys come up with for this game! Will we be seeing more of the prototype concepts come in? The weird blue/pink gremlin sort of monster that was in the long since lost beta? Walking glove and exclamation point? White horrorterror in the background? I can't wait to see what you all have in store!

#40 User is offline Mr Lange 

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:29 PM

Yes, you'll be seeing scrapped and prototype material all throughout the game. We've found a home for many things and the game is well planned, and there's going to be many wondrous surprises.

#41 User is offline Xilla 

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:38 PM

• No promotion for you, laddy.

View PostMr Lange, on 26 August 2014 - 08:29 PM, said:

Yes, you'll be seeing scrapped and prototype material all throughout the game. We've found a home for many things and the game is well planned, and there's going to be many wondrous surprises.

Surely Robotnik's gotta change out of his PJs at some point......into his bumblebee outfit! :v:

I'm really digging the music on this, I've been humming the Act 1 music all day!

#42 User is offline Ryuki 

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

Woke up hungover as hell this afternoon @ 14:45; stuck a random playlist on and Sunrise Gat Act 1 - 3 were played one after the other despite having shuffle turned on. Suffice to say it still manages to put a massive nostalgic smile on my face. Considering this is an entirely original set of tracks I think those who brought it together should feel very proud.
God I love these tracks.
This post has been edited by Ryuki: 31 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

#43 User is offline Xilla 

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

• No promotion for you, laddy.

View PostRyuki, on 31 August 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

Woke up hungover as hell this afternoon @ 14:45; stuck a random playlist on and Sunrise Gat Act 1 - 3 were played one after the other despite having shuffle turned on. Suffice to say it still manages to put a massive nostalgic smile on my face. Considering this is an entirely original set of tracks I think those who brought it together should feel very proud.
God I love these tracks.

I'd love to hear the musicians take on the Invincibility theme, and possibly the speedup too?

I've only heard one Sonic 1(/2) take on the latter, Yarharhar's version from 2000!

#44 User is offline WAC 

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:44 PM

• KITTIES!
  • Project:???
  • Wiki edits:2
I just played the demo and was extremely impressed with the production values, gorgeous graphics, and great soundtrack, along with how well everything controlled. Did you guys make any major changes to Sonic worlds' engine, or is the engine now just significantly better than it was around the time fangames like Sonic Axiom and Before the Sequel were made? o_O I also found the level design to be pretty fun, but that spiral tonal is way overused. First time it was really cool. The fifth time just seemed really redundant, especially since it takes awhile to get through. Overall, I'm impressed with this game's early state and looking forward to the next demo.

Full screen support is broken for me as well so I had to play in window mode (which I only do if I have to). If full screen mode is fixed in the future, that would be extremely appreciated.

Edit-

I forgot to mention that I hope future zone will be less linear and that I'd like to see more in-level gimmicks added in the first zone. There weren't a whole lot of them in that zone.
This post has been edited by W.A.C.: 29 September 2014 - 12:11 AM

#45 User is offline Mr Lange 

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:36 AM

Thank you muchly WAC. We didn't make any major changes to the engine, we're just using the latest version 1.4.3 and yes it's vastly improved over version 0.5 which is what BTS and ATS used. One tweak we made was removing the roll jump lock, so it behaves like Sonic CD and helps the flow. Yes, that's the most common criticism, that we overused the spiral tunnel and had too little in the way of gimmicks. We agree with these criticisms and we're working on Sunrise Gate accordingly. As for linearity, expect some of that for this level. It's going to get much crazier in the later levels.

Yeah don't expect anything of full screen right now, it's just using the built in MMF2 method which sucks. We should have proper full screen support at some point.

• 15 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Yandex