Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic: Ascension Development Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic: Ascension Development Thread

#31 User is offline Ell678 

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:00 AM

• Am I Annoying You?
  • Project:Sonic Incursion
  • Wiki edits:6
The low quality shadows could be caused by the lighting settings in the landscape actor. Have a play around with them, but I'd also just delete the old light actors and replace them, see if that works. Sometimes I've had crashes and shitty builds that have been solved by deleting the relevant light actors. Also, DX11 mode is a killer, running levels that are normally fine in DX9 on my computer just slaughters the performance.
This post has been edited by Ell678: 26 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

#32 User is offline Zetaneko 

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:38 AM

• Project:Sonic: Ascension
Sonic: Ascension Episode One is ready to download!! :eng101:/>/>

The game is downloaded by torrent which is available here: TBP

Have fun and tell me what you think of it!!

As well, I'm going to update the first post.

#33 User is offline Ell678 

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:00 AM

• Am I Annoying You?
  • Project:Sonic Incursion
  • Wiki edits:6
Link won't work for me.

Even if it does, Pirate Bay is blocked by a few ISPs in England. Any chance of a different one?

#34 User is offline Zetaneko 

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:23 AM

View PostEll678, on 27 April 2014 - 05:00 AM, said:

Link won't work for me.

Even if it does, Pirate Bay is blocked by a few ISPs in England. Any chance of a different one?

I have a link now to Kick Ass Torrents just in case, it's on the first post and if that doesn't work, then shortly I'll just upload the torrent file onto mediafire. And I won't be able to reply for a while until I'm confirmed. There are a few glitches apparently, the 2 last cutscenes are in the wrong order, which you can probably tell xD But I'm working an a little updater inside the launcher where it will download updates I host on dropbox.

#35 User is offline Zetaneko 

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:07 AM

I looked at a few comments on Kick Ass Torrents, and apparently they are having issues where it just crashed instantly when they run it, they haven't gone into specifics but is anyone else encountering this issue? Since I only have my computer, which I thoroughly tested with, it's hard to tell if it's broken on other computers. And if you are getting crashes, could you go into details, like error messages, and importantly, if it crashes after or before the launcher.

#36 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:48 AM

It showes the main screen with the 1 Player button, music plays. You click the button and when it shows the similarly looking loading screen it crashes.
Problem Signature 09: System.NullReferenceException
I'm on Windows 7 , 8GB Ram, GeForce GTX 650.

Best guess is its trying to load a game file from a specific location that only you have. ( In case nobody can run the game).
Less likely is that
a) its trying to access a redistributable AFTER it has loaded( video codec?) . Its neither .Net or VC++ redistributables.

See if anyone can run the game at all, and/or try to reproduce the problem by installing Win 7 on a different partition/hdd/ssd and then figure out what is missing.

Anyway, bypassing the error. The unskippable intro is a very bad decision. Nobody(myself included) is going to wait through it a second time, so its up to you to lose the audience.
The game itself is super dark. I'm on a super bright 350cd/m2 IPS display turned to the max in a dark room, yet I can barely see anything. It looks like an old CRT in its final hour. Make sure to correct your tone map exposure values. Nowadays you shouldn't touch the Gamma at all.

Hope this helps.

#37 User is offline Zetaneko 

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:41 AM

View Postwinterhell, on 29 April 2014 - 05:48 AM, said:

It showes the main screen with the 1 Player button, music plays. You click the button and when it shows the similarly looking loading screen it crashes.
Problem Signature 09: System.NullReferenceException
I'm on Windows 7 , 8GB Ram, GeForce GTX 650.

Best guess is its trying to load a game file from a specific location that only you have. ( In case nobody can run the game).
Less likely is that
a) its trying to access a redistributable AFTER it has loaded( video codec?) . Its neither .Net or VC++ redistributables.

See if anyone can run the game at all, and/or try to reproduce the problem by installing Win 7 on a different partition/hdd/ssd and then figure out what is missing.

Anyway, bypassing the error. The unskippable intro is a very bad decision. Nobody(myself included) is going to wait through it a second time, so its up to you to lose the audience.
The game itself is super dark. I'm on a super bright 350cd/m2 IPS display turned to the max in a dark room, yet I can barely see anything. It looks like an old CRT in its final hour. Make sure to correct your tone map exposure values. Nowadays you shouldn't touch the Gamma at all.

Hope this helps.

Okay, so I just quickly searched that up online, after testing the game on a different PC at a friends a place with no luck. It seems to be that the default installer that is used to package UDK games includes some sort of EULA agreement that needs to be signed by the user and is stored in registry (most likely game specific rather than all UDK games), so it seems that I will have to use the default installer and include in a separate ZIP file, a few files to add into the game directory. So that sucks :/ And that might be the issue, not sure yet, but I'm doing testing now and if it works, then it looks like I'll basically have to re-upload the game. I apologize though to all who have used any of their internet if its got a cap on something that might find itself to be useless, or if I find the registry key etc, I could include that in a patch I was planning to release in a few days. So until tomorrow morning, that's all I'll be able to say.

#38 User is offline Zetaneko 

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

I have a temporary fix for Sonic: Ascension while I'm working on a better solution. But this fix requires that you have another UDK game installed, or the UDK editor, e.g. Project AXSX or Sonic Souls.

So it turns out the default installer that UDK packages the games with add a file with a specific code that is different on each PC. Right now the client has the one that only works for me, so to work around this, all you need to do is go into another UDK game/editor folder, go into the Binaries folder there, and copy and paste InstallInfo.xml from there into the Binaries folder inside the Sonic Ascension folder. This should fix the issue. Please reply if this worked for you.

#39 User is offline Zetaneko 

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:01 AM

Okay, so would someone please tell me if the fix works? Because I can't tell right now if the game I just released works for most people....
Anyway, now that I've got a lot of assignments and study to do, since I'm near the end of semester 2 in Grade 11, I won't be able to work on the game nearly as much as I used to, so there will be less development time available for me. So if you guys don't say anything, then... it won't be fixed because I'm just guessing at the moment. I'm trying not to sound too demanding though, I just need a yes the fix works, or no it doesn't.
This post has been edited by Zetaneko: 01 May 2014 - 06:02 AM

#40 User is offline Xaklse 

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:06 AM

• Wiki edits:11
Replacing InstallInfo.xml let me run the game.

Two big problems: the intro movie isn't skippable, and the (un)playable level is pitch black.

Also, the installer copies part of the stuff to C: (dunno where), even if I install the game in D:

#41 User is offline Zetaneko 

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:10 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll get that fixed in a patch update I'll release soon. As for the fix, I'm glad that works, I'll make a little registry key adder for those who doesn't have another UDK product.

EDIT: Here's the fix! All you need to do is open the file from anywhere, and click 'yes'. After that the game is good to go. Mediafire
This post has been edited by Zetaneko: 02 May 2014 - 11:28 PM

#42 User is offline Zetaneko 

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:58 AM

I'm uploading the first patch tomorrow, and I'm working on a new Dusty Desert inspired stage, I'll also take some screenshots for that. And for those who haven't noticed and thought that music in the launcher was random, it's actually one of Crush 40's songs that isn't well known (before their Sonic-era I think). It's called Fire Woman.

#43 User is offline Zetaneko 

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:29 PM

Sorry it's been so long, life dramas and such kept me from progressing. But now I'm back in full motion :)/>/>/>

There's some more soundtracks from the game I just uploaded on YouTube. Amy's Theme Lonely Listener Warm Night

And heres a screenshot from the boss in the New Empire City zone.
Posted Image

#44 User is offline Zetaneko 

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:54 AM

UPDATE: Right now I'm working on a couple of open-world(ish) areas for the game. I got some screen shots below, now I need a couple of characters to be animated (Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Dr. Eggman, Princess Elise and Sally Acorn) the only thing is, is that I have models and imported them into UDK successfully, but I am horrible at animating, and I cant find any animated models for the characters. And when I mean horrible, I don't even know how to move an arm. So any help or volunteers would be amazingly appreciated :)/> They would only need simple animations, including a simple talking animation, walking, running and a few facial expressions, since it has a dialogue system similar to whats seen in Final Fantasy and Animal Crossing. Everyone in a while you will end up in one of these open-world places where you do some missions/quests to help others in need and such, these areas are around 1km^2, and have to be very detailed so it is taking a while.

Anyway, here are some screenshots!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#45 User is offline Infiniti 

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:44 AM

• ↑ & ↓ & ↻
I was getting about 10-15 FPS (I think) on extreme settings & 30-ish on Minimal on a mobile [email protected] + GeForce GT 635M(1GB).
The game has great potential but why does the water on the beach kill sonic as soon as he touches it?

• 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users