Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic: Ascension Development Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic: Ascension Development Thread

#16 User is offline Zetaneko 

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:48 AM

• Project:Sonic: Ascension

View PostTimmiT, on 07 April 2014 - 04:06 AM, said:

View PostZetaneko, on 07 April 2014 - 03:18 AM, said:

Haha. It was just an artistic choice to have the bloom, because he is remembering an event from the past and the brightness just gave it a bit more of a cheerful, almost unreal happiness feeling, which is what I wanted to show in this scene.

You want to blind the player with happiness? What kind of cruel person are you!?

I scaled the bloom down to about a third of what it was.

And as well, I basically can't release a demo (which is about half an hour of gameplay) until I get the lightmass issue fixed which I haven't been able to solve myself, so solutions or ideas are extremely welcome! :)/>

When I do get the issue fixed and the demo released make sure your computer will be able to handle it before you download it as it is quiet big (1.4 gigs before lightmass generated files are saved). On a GTX 660 Ti, I get around 23-28 fps on max settings, smaller scenes are around 40 fps, so to get a smooth 60fps on max, it would quite literally need a 780 Ti/R9 290X. It uses around 2.5gb ram so I recommend that your computer has at least 6gb ram, 4 gb ram might be able to cut-it. It is very CPU intensive actually, an AMD FX 8150 (3.1ghz)/Intel i7 2600K(3.4Ghz) or equivalent should be enough horsepower.
This post has been edited by Zetaneko: 07 April 2014 - 04:50 AM

#17 User is online winterhell 

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:50 AM

Drop the tutorial. It serves no purpose other than to increase playtime. If you insist on having it, put it on a separate level in different menu. Half Life did it perfectly with its Boot Camp.

#18 User is offline Zetaneko 

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:00 AM

View Postwinterhell, on 07 April 2014 - 04:50 AM, said:

Drop the tutorial. It serves no purpose other than to increase playtime. If you insist on having it, put it on a separate level in different menu. Half Life did it perfectly with its Boot Camp.

Don't worry, it's an actual part of the story, only when a new action is introduced within the game little pieces of text will show up and basically doesn't disrupt the gameplay. Further along in the game theres actually a scene where a flood comes down a cave where Sonic is, and he has to escape and you learn to hold shift to move through the water quickly without getting blown back.

#19 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:12 PM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
It's your game. I don't presume to think that I have any right to dictate the direction your game should go in. What follows is expressly my opinion, friend.

That's about the most annoying "tutorial" method in games ever. Please don't do this.
This post has been edited by Aerosol: 07 April 2014 - 11:13 PM

#20 User is offline Zetaneko 

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

I'm about to upload a video of some gameplay (mainly cutscenes) from the game, and I'll give you a bit of a warning though, this is mainly for feedback before I get too far into finishing these scenes, so there will be spoilers and I don't recommend watching it if you want to have the shock when you see it in-game. But first I gotta sleep, it's 2am in Australia!

#21 User is offline Zetaneko 

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:58 AM

Here is what is going to be a quiet controversial gameplay footage which consists of mainly cutscenes! I say controversial because it doesn't follow the main structure of a Sonic game, theme or age groups. But this game will definitely be a fresh experience for most of you, and I am confident that this will be a good move in the fan-game. Remember to stop at 2:51 if you want to avoid a spoiler!

https://www.youtube....h?v=J3YcQwS6UOo

Enjoy :)/>

#22 User is online winterhell 

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:17 AM

Are you going for an Amnesia:The Dark Descent/American McGee's Alice thing?

#23 User is offline Zetaneko 

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:33 AM

View Postwinterhell, on 11 April 2014 - 02:17 AM, said:

Kind of, it's got a small blend of thriller, mixed with action on-top of adventure. As the plot goes, they go to all corners of the world in order to find enough Flunxent in order to travel back to their own time and world. With Dr. Eggman trying to stop them of course, and time travelling back just himself so he can rule planet Mobius without the troubles of Sonic and is friends. I won't say too much though so that everything remains a surprise in the game.

#24 User is offline Falk 

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

View Postwinterhell, on 11 April 2014 - 02:17 AM, said:

it's actually black ops

THE NUMBERS MASON

WHAT DO THE NUMBERS MEAN

#25 User is offline P3DR0 

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:46 AM

• b0ss
  • Project:SONIC INFINITY
Welpzor. You certainly got the hang of UDK for cutscenes. Now you just gotta learn how to tone down the bloom and make the enviroments less boring.

#26 User is offline Zetaneko 

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:47 AM

As a bit of a status update, I'd like to say that I'm just touching up everything and getting things ready to package for the demo, which I think I'll actually call Sonic: Ascension - Episode One, since it's too big for a demo yet too small for a game xD

I just have to finish up foliage in one of the maps, and then optimize, fix glitches and all that kind of stuff. If lightmass gives me mercy this time, it could be ready to play within the next week! I'm expecting episode one to be 2-3 gigs though, so it will take a while to upload since my upload speed is comparable to dial-up, even though I get on average 70mb/s download. Anyway, it wont be too long lets hope!

EDIT: If your still using a DirectX9/10 graphics card, your out of luck :/ A lot of things in my game has dependencies on DX11 with certain things I won't go into giving players on DX9/10 an unfair advantage :P So this is DX11 exclusive.
This post has been edited by Zetaneko: 25 April 2014 - 03:51 AM

#27 User is online winterhell 

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:17 AM

As you mentioned your GTX 660 Ti having a hard time with the game, one could be pretty certain there is no Quad SLI DX 10 card configuration that would be able to catch up.

As for the upload, have you considered torrents as a mirror?

#28 User is offline Zetaneko 

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:27 AM

View Postwinterhell, on 25 April 2014 - 04:17 AM, said:

As you mentioned your GTX 660 Ti having a hard time with the game, one could be pretty certain there is no Quad SLI DX 10 card configuration that would be able to catch up.

As for the upload, have you considered torrents as a mirror?

Actually thats a very good idea to upload it as a torrent, that's probably how I'll do it, also considering that most free hosting sites wouldn't allow me to upload it without splitting it into parts.

#29 User is offline Zetaneko 

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:46 PM

With lightmass being it's usual frustrating little self, I'm going to do a full reinstall of UDK, not even the smartest guy I know on Epic Game's forum could figure it out. Just wasted about 2 hours of my time baking giant blobs and stripping textures off trees in game xD. If this doesn't work than my only option is to test it on another machine which I can't really do since no one is willing, unless I was send someone the source files of the game, then they bake the lighting and then send it back, which would be a complete waste of time. So would everyone rather prefer an unlit, no shadows, overly bright, crappy looking game and get it by tomorrow, or wait at least a week for beautiful, rich and realistic graphics? (That's if I can ever get this working)

EDIT: Okay, I got a bit of a work around, it's just that now all shadows are dynamic and not pre-builted (basically calculated during runtime) But the trees still have no textures, but only in-game, they reset themselves to the standard white/blue checker texture. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
This post has been edited by Zetaneko: 25 April 2014 - 10:00 PM

#30 User is offline Jassbec 

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:05 AM

• Lost Prototype
  • Project:Sonic Overture, Zeondrive
I'm quite interested in this, but I'll probably will not be able to play it, just like any UDK fangame, which really sucks D:
My computer for some reason refuses to open any UDK related thing, and even If I manage to open a thing, it runs at 5-10 fps.
I'll just watch a video or something when it comes out, lol.

Keep it up, man!

• 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users