Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic "Forever" Alpha - Released - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 5 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic "Forever" Alpha - Released Or whatever I end up calling it

#31 User is offline Blivsey 

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

• Charismatic Sonicaholic
  • Project:Throwing my support behind others' projects (aka none)

check dat skill :v:

Also, I'm having trouble figuring out Act 2. I've found Acts 1/3, but 2 is nowhere to be seen. Incidentally, the game stopped me in the middle of UDDDU (the S&K/S2 lock-on levelselect code) to give me Act 3.

#32 User is offline TheInvisibleSun 

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

• OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST
  • Project:Sonic 1 Color Contrast

View PostBlivsey, on 06 April 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

Also, I'm having trouble figuring out Act 2. I've found Acts 1/3, but 2 is nowhere to be seen. Incidentally, the game stopped me in the middle of UDDDU (the S&K/S2 lock-on levelselect code) to give me Act 3.

It a code that you no longer need to do in a split second's time for it to work. :thumbsup:

#33 User is offline Blivsey 

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

View PostTheInvisibleSun, on 06 April 2012 - 05:48 PM, said:

It a code that you no longer need to do in a split second's time for it to work. :thumbsup:

So why make the S3 code the code for the second act? That's just silly.

#34 User is offline synchronizer 

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

• Wiki edits:19
I can't play this in Wine because of a "hack detection screen" that pops up. How nice. Would someone post a video that features a full playthrough of the alpha game?
This post has been edited by synchronizer: 06 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

#35 User is offline TheInvisibleSun 

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

View PostBlivsey, on 06 April 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

View PostTheInvisibleSun, on 06 April 2012 - 05:48 PM, said:

So why make the S3 code the code for the second act? That's just silly.

Well, the S2 Beta code gets Act 2 as well. I think its just to screw with people who thought the Sonic 3 code would logically work for Act 3, as the others correspond to their respective numbers.

#36 User is offline Blivsey 

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

Kinda figured it was some weird logic like that. How did everyone else manage to get Act 2 before I did? I figured it out eventually, but really. That's one convoluted AFDjoke/shotatS2HD you got there, Blaze.

By the way, speedrunning is fucking awesome. I'm particularly satisfied with my Act 1 run for Knuckles, minus the derp after the halfway point.

#37 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:35 AM

• A "Community Enigma"?
  • Wiki edits:51

View PostBlivsey, on 06 April 2012 - 11:42 PM, said:

By the way, speedrunning is fucking awesome. I'm particularly satisfied with my Act 1 run for Knuckles, minus the derp after the halfway point.

Act 1:
Posted Image

Act 2:
Posted Image

Apologies if your times are listed wrong, I think there was a weird counting bug with time trial ghosts during races specifically that I only just recently fixed a few weeks ago (and thus is only fixed in Act 3 for now - really need to get to porting Acts 1 and 2 to Act 3's version of the engine).

I did beat you in both cases, though. But I only beat you in Act 2 by a second or two. Of course, I'm massively out of practice in Act 1 and Act 2, so. :v:

Try this one on for size.

#38 User is offline Blivsey 

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

View PostBlazeHedgehog, on 07 April 2012 - 03:35 AM, said:

View PostBlivsey, on 06 April 2012 - 11:42 PM, said:

Act 1:
Posted Image

Act 2:
Posted Image

Apologies if your times are listed wrong, I think there was a weird counting bug with time trial ghosts during races specifically that I only just recently fixed a few weeks ago (and thus is only fixed in Act 3 for now - really need to get to porting Acts 1 and 2 to Act 3's version of the engine).

I did beat you in both cases, though. But I only beat you in Act 2 by a second or two. Of course, I'm massively out of practice in Act 1 and Act 2, so. :v:

Try this one on for size.

My Modern skills aren't exactly flattering, I'll admit. Gotta practice up. And yeah, I noticed the time trial ghost problem, too. I wonder how you implemented it, because it seemed as though my ghost was losing a lot more rings than I did while recording, but it didn't desync otherwise. This game also has a similar problem to SBTS, what with the timer continuing for a second or two after hitting the signpost.

Act 1 Modern: 32"65
Act 2 Modern: 26"29

Also, I'm sure you know all the best paths, Blaze :rolleyes: You should totally package some basic speedruns with the game, in lieu of "Press Start" demos.

#39 User is offline Deef 

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

Not everyone remembers to implement the most important part of the insta shield. :(

Good game though. I especially like the improvement to how the lightning shield looks.

#40 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:18 PM

• A "Community Enigma"?

View PostDeef, on 07 April 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

Not everyone remembers to implement the most important part of the insta shield. :(

Good game though. I especially like the improvement to how the lightning shield looks.

What is the most important part of the instashield? The one in this game extends Sonic's reach, and if you time it just right, reflects projectiles.

Edit: Meant to reply to this hours ago

View PostBlivsey, on 07 April 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

And yeah, I noticed the time trial ghost problem, too. I wonder how you implemented it, because it seemed as though my ghost was losing a lot more rings than I did while recording, but it didn't desync otherwise.

Basically, Damizean's original ghost recording system only kept track of button presses, but despite his best efforts, things would still desync. I completely re-wrote it in Sonic Forever so that it keeps track of just about everything. What buttons are being pushed, the player's X/Y, angle, velocity, current animation number, current animation frame, score, time, rings, etc.

Even if something desyncs, the replay will follow the exact identical path the player did. So if, for example, dropping rings desyncs, it doesn't matter, because it will always have the correct ring amounts. It's probably the best a Sonic Worlds fangame can manage.

The time trial bug came because as you noted, time keeps running until the score tally comes up. Recording works so that as long as time is running, it's recording input. When it came time to calculate the results for a ghost race, Player 2's (the ghost) time would be based off of the final frame in the replay file, which was usually anywhere between 2 and 10 seconds after they had actually finished the level.

Meanwhile, Player 1's time would be based off of what the clock was at when they touched the end sign.

So now, in Act 3, even if the clock keeps counting up until the score tally comes on screen, the replay time it records is based on the moment you finished the level.
This post has been edited by BlazeHedgehog: 07 April 2012 - 11:32 PM

#41 User is offline TheInvisibleSun 

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

View PostBlazeHedgehog, on 07 April 2012 - 11:18 PM, said:

What is the most important part of the instashield? The one in this game extends Sonic's reach, and if you time it just right, reflects projectiles.

I might not have been able to bounce as well with it; I'll double-check in a sec to make sure. Nope, that's not it.

EDIT:

Times So Far
Act 1 Modern 32"35
Act 2 Modern 26"62

I haven't had this much fun speedrunning in long while!
This post has been edited by TheInvisibleSun: 08 April 2012 - 12:31 AM

#42 User is offline amphobius 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:42 AM

• where are the japanese shaman girls, lintahlo?
  • Project:life
  • Wiki edits:165

View PostBlazeHedgehog, on 07 April 2012 - 11:18 PM, said:

It might reflect projectiles but it's also meant to serve as a quick flash of invincibility - many times I've used it to stop taking damage from Eggman's spikes during the Big Arm fight.
This post has been edited by DalekSam: 09 April 2012 - 05:43 AM

#43 User is offline Techokami 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

• For use only on NTSC Genesis systems
  • Project:Sonic Edge
  • Wiki edits:63

View Postsynchronizer, on 06 April 2012 - 08:34 PM, said:

I can't play this in Wine because of a "hack detection screen" that pops up. How nice. Would someone post a video that features a full playthrough of the alpha game?

That was part of the April Fools joke. Use the arrow keys to input some famous Sonic cheat codes, then when you hear a chime press Enter.

#44 User is offline synchronizer 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

• Wiki edits:19
Ah thank you.

Well, after playing the first act, and accidentally finding the third (how do you access each of the acts?), I can say that this game is enjoyable indeed. Jut fix some of the weird collision/wall bugs. That big waterfall section in Act 3 was a little bit frustrating, because I kept falling all the way down. Anyway, thank.

#45 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

• A "Community Enigma"?
I definitely plan on updating the rocks that pop out of the waterfall, somebody pointed it out to me that the ones in Sonic 3 aren't behind the water for more than a couple seconds.

• 5 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users