Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Before the Sequel'12 - Released with OST - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 22 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Before the Sequel'12 - Released with OST

#31 User is offline WAC 

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:30 PM

• KITTIES!
  • Project:Kitty Pixel Art
  • Wiki edits:2
Well, good thing alt + enter gives me full screen because the resolution options are small. >_> Unfortunately, I have to go so I didn't play more than the beginning of the first level but it's a good start from what I've seen. I noticed the music sometimes stop altogether when I pause the game though. I don't know if that's because I play it in full screen or just a standard bug in the game. The resolution also got messed up at one point where I couldn't see the bottom of the screen in full screen. <_<

#32 User is offline Vinchenz 

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:45 PM

• Yo! Hustle! Hustle!
  • Project:Unity 5evr
Not bad, got to Sunset Star.

Its a pretty fun game so far. Changes between music style is a little jarring, and some of the art clashes but whatever, doesn't distract me too much.

I really like how each act has a different theme of some sort. Lost Levels was pretty cool in that regard, and I see what you did there. :P

Boss battles are fun so far. Badniks are OK (Never cared too much about badniks). LOVE the Hadoken/Shyuroken turtles though! They're cute.

I'll give my full thoughts after I beat it but congrats man, I think the effort pulled through.

#33 User is offline Falk 

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

I want to say I've never gotten trolled so hard by special stages ever :V

#34 User is offline Techokami 

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:23 PM

• For use only on NTSC Genesis systems
  • Project:Sonic Edge
  • Wiki edits:63
"Kirby mouse attack"
Did you mean "Kirby Squeak Squad"? :v:

This was actually quite fun. Excellent job!

#35 User is offline Billy 

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:11 PM

• RIP Oderus Urungus
  • Project:retrooftheweek.net - Give it a visit and tell me what you think!
  • Wiki edits:15
I laughed my ass off at the ryu badniks.

Loving this game so far, I'll post more thoughts when I've finished it.

#36 User is offline Kampfer 

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:31 PM

Since I can't play Sonic CD yet, I decided to give this a try. I made it though the entire thing in about 3 hours.

I loved it, and its an amazing fangame. I thought the levels were very speedy, but still provided an emphasis on platforming. Enemy designs always kept me on my toes, and I thought the levels each had enough gimmicks to make each act fresh. I think the best levels were Metro Madness and Titanic Tower.

I guess my biggest critque is music. Way to much Kirby music that does not fit, especially with Sonic's levels (not so bad with Tails). Its one thing to pay homage to a track or two you like, but every zone almost had a track from Kirby Superstar or Kirby's Adventure. It clashed with an otherwise very tight and thought-out game. Probably the worst offender was Archaic (?) Altitude.

Spoiler

I think this as good as a professionally made platformer. Good job.

#37 User is offline Sparks 

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:09 AM

• Project:Kyle and Lucy: Wonderworld
  • Wiki edits:21
Well for some reason the game started lagging like crazy in Tails' sky level and then the Death Egg level, and the fact there's no rings after that first check point in the Death Egg level just left it unbeatable for me. What's with the fans and the spazzing orbs? How are they supposed to work?

#38 User is offline Mike Arcade 

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:31 AM

• Free Scriber of Mobius
  • Project:TBA
Glad to see this game finally out and done, downloading it right now! Played the demo, it was great so I expect even more so from the full game, which I am sure will not dissapoint. :)

#39 User is offline The Shad 

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:21 AM

• ↑ & ↓ & ↻
  • Wiki edits:83
Gonna download and give it a try (hell, gonna stream it, probably). Will report with my experience later!

#40 User is offline LakeFeperd 

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:52 AM

• Project:Spark the electric jester
@Sparks
I was sure the sections I made to teach the player how they worked did their job

Red orb makes you more heavy, Green orb makes you more light, Cyan orbs reverse your weight

@W.A.C.
you will notice A LOT of problens, gliches and errors when it's full screen, especially with the cutscnes
and you will figure out the reason there wasnt much of screen size options

---
and, just one thing, I've placed a lot of easter eggs though the game, one of it is SUPER... =P

Edit: thanks for editing the first post and the title, falk :)
This post has been edited by LakeFeperd: 16 December 2011 - 09:19 AM

#41 User is offline The Shad 

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:42 AM

• ↑ & ↓ & ↻
  • Wiki edits:83
Alright, beaten (on stream, too).

Honestly, I really enjoyed this. It was very solidly done and it had alot of cool moments. I love the way your environment in most stages chance as you progress and the music change in the desert/winter level was fantastic! Your Death Egg scenery was also very well done, I love how the S2 death egg tiles become the death egg in construction while the S3&K death egg is the main level.

The things I did have issue with are.. Well, I don't know. There are sections of art that come off as very bland and flat compared to the environment surrounding it. It's especially noticeable in the second and third levels. Also the rock levels. The music, while good, doesn't fit or have a sonic feel to it and the ones that do still don't fit.

The brighter special stages hurt my eyes. The darker colored ones were fine, but the brighter the color combined with everything moving really caused me to strain. They're simple, though. If you had gone for emerald collecting, I would have loved to see what else you can do with it. Very cool, regardless.

The dome level with the water sections was probably my least favorite zone in the game. The water sections are just very.. Well, bad. I didn't like them at all and the time you have under water is insanely small, air bubbles or no.

Alot of the time, the levels didn't feel very Sonic like. The cloud level especially. But they were still enjoyable to play and aside from the one level mentioned before, I really liked what I experienced. If you plan to do another project in the future at some point, I'd love to see how your level design polishes up and what other awesome concepts you come up with.

Thanks for the game, mate!

#42 User is offline Kampfer 

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:25 AM

View PostLakeFeperd, on 16 December 2011 - 07:52 AM, said:

and, just one thing, I've placed a lot of easter eggs though the game, one of it is SUPER... =P

Spoiler

#43 User is offline LakeFeperd 

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:30 PM

• Project:Spark the electric jester
hey, did anyone of you tried to press P at the menu? (not the new/load screen, the real menu)
And also beat the boss rush mode? :v:

#44 User is offline Falk 

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:52 PM

Looking at the comments about the music, out of curiousity what kind of music would you actually say jives with a fangame? Remixes of Sonic music? Original compositions in the same style? A combination of both? The same 'trippy' Kirby-esque music, but not actually Kirby music so it doesn't have the subconscious relationship to specific Kirby games?

I thought what this fangame did was quite a breath of fresh air in terms of style, tbqh, although my "disconnect" with the sources may be that I didn't play them, hence it doesn't affect me that way. Wondering what other people's opinions re: music in general are.
This post has been edited by Falk: 16 December 2011 - 01:54 PM

#45 User is offline Namo 

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:57 PM

• take a screenshot of your heart
Though I recognized quite a few music tracks from other sources, it doesn't bother me. I don't see how anyone could really be bothered by it too. The music chosen fits the overall product really well and that's all I really care about.

• 22 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users