Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Classic 2 - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 51 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Classic 2 **Snapshots and new information**

#16 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:27 PM

• Artist
  • Wiki edits:111
Well, personally, I think it'd be a good idea, seeing as this is Classic 2, you could, this time, use the Sonic 2 sprites, add more colours into them and more frames. I think thwt'd be kinda cool. But if you are attached to these ones, then that's fine.

#17 User is offline sonicyoda 

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:45 PM

I've gotta say, I'm really digging the graphics. And the sprite. The gimmicks are crazy good as well. I say go for it. I'd play the shit out of it!

#18 User is offline MegaDash 

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:50 PM

• Pinpricks

View Postjasonchrist, on 21 July 2011 - 03:09 PM, said:

I absolutely loved Classic 1! And let's not beat about the bush here, Generations is not the fucking return to glorious form people think it is. Yes, it looks gorgeous but in terms of recreating the classic feel it's a shoddy effort. So YES, keep working on this. The gameplay in Classic 1 is already better than Generations, so more can only be a good thing.

Funny how Hez jumped the gun one way and you jumped it the opposite way. You are truly a pillar of balance, good sir.

View Postjasonchrist, on 21 July 2011 - 03:09 PM, said:

Gotta say though man, I too am not feeling the music or sprites. The Classic 1 sprites were not only great, they were perfect and dare I say better than they ever looked on the Genesis! These new ones blatantly look like lame SFGHQ/Magical Forest fanmade sprites. Gorgeous looking level though, and it looks like it plays well! I hope you're working with a more stable engine this time, because the only thing that hurt my enjoyment of the last one was all the frikkin bugs and crashes.

Aspire for that as well. A healthy engine makes for a happy experience.

#19 User is offline Supakitsune 

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:16 PM

• rin and sonic and red red roses
  • Wiki edits:7
Looks very good, though it'd be better with the old Classic1 Sonic sprites. Also, I find the random remixes from Classic1 to be more suitable than this music is, to be honest. But I liked Classic1 for feeling almost like what a 32x Sonic game might have looked and felt like had Chaotix been abandoned for a more normal 2D Sonic game. Kind of like how I felt about Sonic XG when I first played the demo for it in ~2007 or so. So yes, I'd say "go for it".
This post has been edited by Supakitsune: 21 July 2011 - 05:18 PM

#20 User is offline dsrb 

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:24 PM

• Wiki edits:196
Yeah, OK, maybe the level theme is a bit more syrupy than most Sonic tracks, but I like it.

I'm confident that it'll definitely be better to have a unified collection of songs by the same composer, using the same instrumentation, etc.; rather than an assortment of awkward and involuntary bedfellows from Newgrounds and whatnot. ;)

On the other hand, I didn't notice the Knuckles/Tails-power theme earlier; that's maybe too happy! It might work for Tails at a stretch, but Knuckles needs some tough music to break shit to.
This post has been edited by dsrb: 21 July 2011 - 05:26 PM

#21 User is offline Flare 

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:29 PM

• 'Here I come Sonic!'
You know, I was always partial to the Sonic 2 sprites with the Sonic 1 palette.

Besides that, I love the idea of Knuckles and Tails... original. And definitely like the "meter" effect. I prefer it much more than the bar from the first game.

#22 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:50 PM

So what's up with Sonic putting on some eye shadow? Is he really that depressed over his current state of games?

I think you were going for a Chaotix like shine but I could be wrong. I don't really know shit about Chaotix lighting but I did my best to touch it up.

1st: Original 2nd: Slight Hybrid 3rd: Some more touch ups 4th: Bullshit out of my ass.
Posted Image

#23 User is offline Limey Otoko 

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:06 PM

Not a fan of the sprite sheet being used but the game looks as solid as the first, gameplay wise. I'm sure it'll come along nicely if you do decide to carry on with it.

The only thing I have to say about the music (which I like for the most part) is that the Knuckles power-up should have a remix of his theme song from Sonic & Knuckles playing.
This post has been edited by Limey Otoko: 21 July 2011 - 07:08 PM

#24 User is offline Flare 

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:32 PM

• 'Here I come Sonic!'
Posted Image

Just a suggestion. :)

#25 User is offline Vinchenz 

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:35 PM

• Yo! Hustle! Hustle!
  • Project:Unity 5evr
I personally like the new sprites and the music. I wouldn't mind if you kept them the same at all.

#26 User is offline GHNeko 

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:17 PM

• sega stockholm syndrome
  • Project:Competitive Smash Stagelist
+1

Classic was a fantastic fan game despite the issues I had with it. It was a fresh new experience and made me love classic sonic games even more.

I'd personally love to see this made.

#27 User is offline Hez 

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:18 AM

• Asshole
  • Project:Your mother
  • Wiki edits:27
I have a half and half on the sprite here, but I do honestly like the new sprite. It grows on you. Although I MAY take a slight edit with chimpo's second edit. It stuck out and competes. I know you guys aren't used to different stuff, but you have to also understand I'm sort of taking a slight different angle with Classic 2. I always liked the more cartoony marioish style of gaming, which is what this kind of has. Also, if you played any part of it, you would agree.

And to answer some questions, it would be fully backwards compatable with classic 1 and sonic 1 expansion.

EDIT: Also flare, I love your edit but to be honest, I just don't have the man-power to draw like you do. And I need a lot of sprites...
This post has been edited by Hez: 22 July 2011 - 02:21 AM

#28 User is offline Icewarrior 

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:57 PM

• I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!!
As I absolutely loved the first Sonic Classic, that second Classic game is definitely worth it from what I can see in the video. The concept of combining Knuckles and Tails abilities for Sonic is interesting and unusual, I approve and can't wait to see it progressing.

#29 User is offline Hez 

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:35 PM

• Asshole
  • Project:Your mother
  • Wiki edits:27
Posted Image

This is probably as far as I will go with editing the sprite. I really liked how it is and I love the style.

Also, any comments on the special stage?

#30 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:04 PM

At the very least, I would remove the lighter shades of gray inbetween his eye and muzzle.

The suggestions aren't really "It's new, we must hate it" but more along the lines that there are some issues in regards to shading and such.

The changes you made is a greater improvement over the original though. Except for those gray shades.

• 51 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users