Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Fan Games (The older ones) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 12 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Fan Games (The older ones) First post now has tons of stuff for download at bottom

#31 User is offline WAC 

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:00 PM

• KITTIES!
  • Project:Kitty Pixel Art
  • Wiki edits:2
I linked to Choamega. Never played Unity unfortunately.

QUOTE (W.A.C. @ Feb 18 2011, 09:04 AM)
[LINK]

I uploaded the demo of this fangame last month so there's a link. Unfortunately, I cannot get the game to work well in Windows 7. Full screen mode is broken for me and I'm having difficulty getting my controller to work well with it.

#32 User is offline Clutch 

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:58 PM

• It was a dark and stormy night...
  • Wiki edits:1
QUOTE (OSM @ Feb 17 2011, 10:44 PM)
When Tails gets Bored was the best fan game I ever fucking played.

Now there's a nostalgia bomb. The engine was imperfect and buggy even for the time (I got stuck to ceilings pretty often) but I remember loving the level ideas so much I didn't care.

#33 User is offline DC.17 

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:35 PM

• a dead star
I remember I liked Sonic Unity, 'cause I'm QUITE sure it used Wacky Workbench's PAST music for the stage that was in the demo, and I had no idea of the music from Wacky Workbench's Past because I only played the NTSC-U PC ver. of Sonic CD, and my old computer I played it on was so shitty that the music didn't play.

#34 User is offline RGamer2009 

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:36 PM

• True Blue
  • Wiki edits:3,086
Hey hey guys? Here are a few oldies yet goodies that are ON THE WIKI.

When Tails Gets Bored :O
The Search for Knuckles
Sonic Adventure Gaiden
Sonic Klik & Play Collection
Sonic Boom

Have at it. :D

#35 User is offline 360 

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:45 PM

• Daft Punk Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon

This is the largest archive I have seen in terms of a dump of all the old fangame demos and games: http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6657

There's some gems in there like Chaomega. Sonic Unity. Sonic SV2. Sonic Time Attacked. Even Tom's (TGF Team) last game before he quit Bladerunners SX where he experimented with running through old school graphics through newer graphics filters.

As far as I am aware all of the links are still up.

#36 User is offline Diablohead 

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:46 PM

• Indie dev
  • Project:games
  • Wiki edits:16
No love for Sonic SV?

When Sonic all stars racing came out I was playing online and had a live message from someone asking about this game, was a "wtf" moment lol.

I was also remaking this 2 years back but I lost the files, feel shitty for not doing more on it but that's fan games for you.

This post has been edited by Diablohead: 21 February 2011 - 07:58 PM

#37 User is offline DC.17 

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:57 PM

• a dead star
Haha wow.

Still wondering if anyone knows Sonic Chaos Racer. I think the opening theme was a MIDI for the opening for Sonic The OVA.

#38 User is offline SonicGenesis89 

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:16 PM

• Cool! Sweet! And Catchy!
Here's Sonic Unity gameplay with Wacky Workbench's Past music. I really love this remix and wish I can find it so I can download the mp3 lol. If you only had the US version of the game I'm sure you still heard this song since the Past music is the same as the Jap soundtrack since they were PCM's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNuSc4n9NnY
This post has been edited by SonicGenesis89: 21 February 2011 - 08:17 PM

#39 User is offline 0r4ng3 

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:23 PM

• Wiki edits:708
QUOTE (Clutch @ Feb 21 2011, 11:58 PM)
QUOTE (OSM @ Feb 17 2011, 10:44 PM)
When Tails gets Bored was the best fan game I ever fucking played.

Now there's a nostalgia bomb. The engine was imperfect and buggy even for the time (I got stuck to ceilings pretty often) but I remember loving the level ideas so much I didn't care.

Wasn't this intended? I'm playing now as I used to play and I'm using it to get past pits more easily.

I loved the ice cap music of the first level. However, I hate the Tails level. It was difficult to catch the sucker and I'm trying right now too and to no avail.

#40 User is offline LordOfSquad 

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:33 PM

• moving on
  • Project:Game designing, working, dying.
QUOTE (360 @ Feb 19 2011, 07:36 AM)
QUOTE (Hez @ Feb 18 2011, 09:44 PM)
I have some of the builds of it somewhere on my computer, considering I also worked on it, and was partially the reason it was canceled :\

Those screenshots are of Sonic Unity, not Chaomega (check the links, they're named Unity).

The development of Chaomega is a long story that involves Aytac, Hez, TGF Team and Sonic360 (yours truly). It's a hell of a long story that goes back to 2001 (some ten years ago). I am however willing to write up the story given there are people on here who are interested. The short version is that the real reason Chaomega was cancelled (and the reason Aytac moved onto Unity) was not because of Hez. It was because of me.

When I have some more time I will write all of this up and then maybe Hez can chime in with his version of events. The story is probably the greatest tragedy of the Sonic fangaming primetime era which until now was never told. So you're in for an exclusive here Sonic Retro.

I have to go and see my sister now but when I get back around midnight I'll write it all up for you guys. Prepare to have your hearts broken.

I look forward to hearing about this.

#41 User is offline Mr. Ksoft 

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:35 PM

• Project:An overly ambitious retro platformer
QUOTE (Diablohead @ Feb 21 2011, 06:46 PM)
No love for Sonic SV?

When Sonic all stars racing came out I was playing online and had a live message from someone asking about this game, was a "wtf" moment lol.

I was also remaking this 2 years back but I lost the files, feel shitty for not doing more on it but that's fan games for you.

SV was the bomb. I remember downloading it the day it came out! I also remember being sad that SV2 never was finished... and your releasing of its engine was both a blessing and a curse to the community. I swear, for a few years we had nothing but games based on it. Mine included. :P

Also, that screenshot looks amazingly familiar, but for a weird reason. About 8 years ago when I was immature and obsessed with fangames, I was poking around what must have been your webspace and found this exe: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11388083/SW2.exe (Yes, this made me dig it out of my backups) It looks an awful lot like that screenshot you posted. I had no idea what this was, but I liked the music so I kept it. I think it's yours judging on the similarities between the two... do you remember anything about it?

EDIT: General question: Does anyone remember an early 3D fangame called Sonic Fusion? It was being done in Darkbasic, I think. I have a couple screenshots I took back then, but don't have the beta any more because it got infected with a virus.
This post has been edited by Mr. Ksoft: 21 February 2011 - 08:43 PM

#42 User is offline RGamer2009 

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:35 PM

• True Blue
  • Wiki edits:3,086
QUOTE (LordOfSquad @ Feb 21 2011, 08:33 PM)
QUOTE (360 @ Feb 19 2011, 07:36 AM)
QUOTE (Hez @ Feb 18 2011, 09:44 PM)
I have some of the builds of it somewhere on my computer, considering I also worked on it, and was partially the reason it was canceled :\

Those screenshots are of Sonic Unity, not Chaomega (check the links, they're named Unity).

The development of Chaomega is a long story that involves Aytac, Hez, TGF Team and Sonic360 (yours truly). It's a hell of a long story that goes back to 2001 (some ten years ago). I am however willing to write up the story given there are people on here who are interested. The short version is that the real reason Chaomega was cancelled (and the reason Aytac moved onto Unity) was not because of Hez. It was because of me.

When I have some more time I will write all of this up and then maybe Hez can chime in with his version of events. The story is probably the greatest tragedy of the Sonic fangaming primetime era which until now was never told. So you're in for an exclusive here Sonic Retro.

I have to go and see my sister now but when I get back around midnight I'll write it all up for you guys. Prepare to have your hearts broken.

Um.. check a few topics down, LordOfSquad.

#43 User is offline 360 

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:51 PM

• Daft Punk Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
QUOTE (LordOfSquad @ Feb 22 2011, 01:33 AM)

Yeah man there's a rather epic 3000-word post I just wrote about it here: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=24524
This post has been edited by 360: 21 February 2011 - 08:51 PM

#44 User is offline LordOfSquad 

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:52 PM

• moving on
  • Project:Game designing, working, dying.
QUOTE (360 @ Feb 21 2011, 06:51 PM)
QUOTE (LordOfSquad @ Feb 22 2011, 01:33 AM)

Yeah man there's a rather epic 3000-word post I just wrote about it here: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=24524

Oho! I did not see the topic. Sorry about that. Might be worth leaving these posts here just so other people don't miss it.

#45 User is offline Diablohead 

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:02 PM

• Indie dev
  • Project:games
  • Wiki edits:16
QUOTE (Mr. Ksoft @ Feb 22 2011, 01:35 AM)
QUOTE (Diablohead @ Feb 21 2011, 06:46 PM)
No love for Sonic SV?

SV was the bomb. I remember downloading it the day it came out! I also remember being sad that SV2 never was finished... and your releasing of its engine was both a blessing and a curse to the community. I swear, for a few years we had nothing but games based on it. Mine included. :P

Also, that screenshot looks amazingly familiar, but for a weird reason. About 8 years ago when I was immature and obsessed with fangames, I was poking around what must have been your webspace and found this exe: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11388083/SW2.exe (Yes, this made me dig it out of my backups) It looks an awful lot like that screenshot you posted. I had no idea what this was, but I liked the music so I kept it. I think it's yours judging on the similarities between the two... do you remember anything about it?

EDIT: General question: Does anyone remember an early 3D fangame called Sonic Fusion? It was being done in Darkbasic, I think. I have a couple screenshots I took back then, but don't have the beta any more because it got infected with a virus.

Dear lord I remember that! wow and there's that sprite ShowOffBoy made for me too which I had to really dig for when trying to remake SV a few years back, aka ripping it from an old fan game which lacked animations.

Since you had this in backup by any chance do you have any of the old SV 2 titles? anything made by me? I would love you long time if so.

*edit* I am also amazed how much my old sv engine was used.
This post has been edited by Diablohead: 21 February 2011 - 09:04 PM

• 12 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users