Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Fan Remix - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 86 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Fan Remix added wip version of Chemical Plant

#16 User is offline Morph 

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:34 AM

• AKA SonicFreak94.
  • Project:SA1/2 hax
  • Wiki edits:11
The screenshots do look really awesome, but at the same time, it's pretty... "busy", and I think the level would be distracting from the actual gameplay.
It makes me wonder if it'll actually get somewhere. =V

#17 User is offline Dude 

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:35 AM

• 3ds MAX Help Desk
  • Project:Sonic Adventure Generations
  • Wiki edits:43
you could depth of field/blur the background to make it not clash with the foreground as much. Seems to be the biggest problem, given an absence of physics/gameplay video

#18 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:39 AM

• Incineroar is the best
  • Project:Dissecting Sonic Labyrinth
  • Wiki edits:112
Damn thats simply amazing. o.O I can't wait to actually play this. Great job. :D

#19 User is offline OSM 

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:20 AM

• retro is for losers!
  • Project:Doing absolutely nothing
  • Wiki edits:2
Um. Wow. This certainly came out of left field. Everything is a bit too bright, but those screenshots are beautiful. Everything looks pretty damn good.

#20 User is offline nineko 

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:05 AM

• I am the Holy Cat
  • Project:I... don't even know anymore :U
  • Wiki edits:5,251
QUOTE (Vaiz @ Mar 13 2010, 06:07 AM)
I'm not sure how to react to those shots, but I will say this probably belongs in Engineering and R.E.
Yes. Moved.

This is very nice stuff. Good luck with this project! smile.png
This post has been edited by nineko: 13 March 2010 - 04:07 AM

#21 User is offline Dusk Golem 

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:08 AM

• Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie...
  • Wiki edits:1
Besides a few layering issues I see, cluttering, and little contrast, it looks beautiful, but something we all learn quickly is that free range projects with no funding or a smaller team that look as beautiful as this usually don't come to fruitation. However, these do look beautiful and from what you just have so far it looks amazing. Wish you as much luck as I can, and don't mean to disregard what you have or put you done, that's generally how it is but for al lwe know it could be an exception this project.

#22 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:39 AM

• A "Community Enigma"?
  • Wiki edits:51
Yes, this is a little too busy. I think the main problem is the grass - it's so detailed and there's so much contrast between light and dark.

Besides that, this is pretty beautiful. Hope this is actually a thing and that we get to see more soon.

#23 User is offline Delta 

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:59 AM

• Wiki edits:47
I'm gonna agree with above posters that there's too much visual noise. It certainly looks beautiful, and it shows that an amazing amount of effort is going into the visual design, but there's also something to be said about subtlety and aesthetics. You shouldn't cram a whole bunch of objects and detail into one space just for the sake of it; you have to find a balance.

Not that I'm an expert on this sort of thing, though. But just by looking at the screenshots I can tell that there's a little too much going on. The background and level should look nice, but it shouldn't be distracting.

#24 User is offline Mercury 

Posted 13 March 2010 - 05:13 AM

• His Name Is Sonic
  • Project:AeStHete
  • Wiki edits:130
Wow. This is going to be a real, playable, game? Sonic 4, eat your heart out!

This is exactly how a Green Hill remake should look. Not only does is look nice (ie well rendered, etc), but it's full of personality as well - it doesn't have that cold, vapid look that a lot of CG does (here's looking at you, 3D blast). The totem pole is brilliant, and the Sonic model is basically perfect.

My only complaint would be the background - it's a little too sparse compared to the original. I'm used to GHZ having a higher mountain to water ratio than that.

About it being busy, I don't think that'll be a problem at all when it's in motion. Classic Sonic games didn't need to blur or dim their backgrounds, and they looked alright - just look at Sonic CD or Chaotix.

Actually, the art style you're using here (whimsy, bold colours, rainbows) reminds me of an artist who was popular in the 90's, Lisa Frank.

(I can't find any better examples of her art online, but it was everywhere back in the day)

My plan is to release the first level which is on track to be completed soon and depending on community support to keep working on it.

Well, you've got my support. thumbsup.png

#25 User is offline Xaklse 

Posted 13 March 2010 - 05:58 AM

• Wiki edits:11
Wow, I do really hope this is playable, but anyways, this is really cool stuff.

#26 User is offline Jayenkai 

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:53 AM

FFS, I can't believe some of the whiners in this topic.
Unmatched? Unsonic?

SO THE HELL WHAT!
If that was playable, right now, you wouldn't give a rats ass.

#27 User is offline Phoebius 

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:54 AM

• Coucou
  • Project:iOS Game
Ok this is just awesome. You do realize you made Sega look like amateurs with their sonic 4, right?

#28 User is offline Cinossu 

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:49 AM

• inverted with love~
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
  • Wiki edits:474
I know everyone is complaining about the "visual noise" and that it's too busy, but I'm thinking in motion it'd probably work quite nicely.

Very beautiful, playable build now please. :>

#29 User is offline pelikan13 

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys, I understand that some of you think it's very busy but that is the look I was going for, I did play around with different looks and that is what clicked with me. It looks much cleaner in motion with all the different scrolling layers. Here is a small clip I just made http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS7aXOZShX0...player_embedded

All the graphics are 3D models and it runs very smooth on my moderate PC, it's using Unity 3D, a free and very powerful engine.. Here is also another screen from the entire level as seen in the editor, it's Emerald hill Act 1 from Sonic 2. http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/9233/soniceditor.jpg

#30 User is offline JakeyBoy 

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:19 AM

• Wiki edits:3
I envy your abilities. It's a very interesting art style, and those saying that it would look cleaner in motion were right. The only thing that bugs me is that the detail on the "grass" looks a bit much for my computer, though you did say it runs on your moderate computer, but I don't know exactly what you think is "moderate".

And dear lord, I LOVE that whale. I just... can't... words do not describe.

• 86 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users