Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: SonicGDK 1.30.000 - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 84 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

SonicGDK 1.30.000 Along with playable levels inside

#16 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (Xaklse @ Feb 12 2010, 04:19 PM)
You used the Speed Dash movement, right?

I think Rox and I went into this expecting the same thing as Blitz Sonic. We would go in, try to get some momentum on some of the obstacles around the level in order to build up some speed and clear some of the bigger and more complicated areas.

Instead we never build up enough speed because of the cap and we fell off even the most basic obstacles. The only way to get through them was to use the speed panels, or the boost mode, two options we kind of were hoping not to use at all as we wanted to earn our speed not obtain it with a touch of a button.

That's something Blitz Sonic was able to accomplish quite well and it was a lot of fun just seeing what sort of shit we can zip through after going down a huge slope.

When I saw the series of loops and the corkscrew lined up I thought I could totally clear it all if I can build up speed at the loop section and hit the corkscrew running. Sadly I found out that the only way to do it was to hold down on the dash button, and even then that wasn't a guarantee that I would stay on the thing.

#17 User is offline Xaklse 

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:16 PM

• Wiki edits:11
It's ok, now I understand why you two are complaining and I got some ideas about how to make Sonic movement and physics better.

Also, you don't need to hold down Special move key to remain in "Mach Speed" mode; just press and release the key to get the speed boost.

#18 User is offline Xaklse 

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:48 PM

Preview Release 2 is up; check first post for more details.

- Download links:
FileFactory / MediaFire / SendSpace

- What's new:
* Much better Sonic Physics and momentums.
* Revamped test map.
* Added rolling on ground and SpinDash.
* Gamepads are supported.

Spinball looks like shit because I can't add new animations to the Cathode robot model.
Reports about bugs and suggestions to improve are welcome. Also, I would really like to know how do you feel about basic controls.

- Help needed:
Someone who wills to rig and/or animate this Sonic model or another one.
Someone who wills to model crazy static meshes (like these ones) to test Sonic physics.
This post has been edited by Xaklse: 26 April 2010 - 05:49 PM

#19 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:20 PM

The Mega Upload link appears to be corrupt. Just a heads up.

#20 User is offline Xaklse 

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

Ok thanks, will check.

EDIT: True, removed the MegaUpload mirror.
This post has been edited by Xaklse: 26 April 2010 - 05:52 PM

#21 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:35 PM

Seems a lot better than before but it's a bit hard to control the character but that just might be because of keyboard. Will try again with a pad.

#22 User is offline Hodgy 

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:42 PM

• Project:Games programming :)
I LOVE IT!

This is how 3d sonic should work smile.png

#23 User is offline Elratauru 

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:19 AM

• Oooh Shiny stuff! don't touch it >:(
  • Project:Web Developer
  • Wiki edits:132
Hell, this is sweet. Im loving the fact that is using UDK mostly because I have a powerful computer and the graphical possibilities of the Unreal Engine 3 are awesome.

I'd really like to see a Sonic model with details like the 2006 Renders... but Classic of course...or a full eyecandy Green hill zone =P

About the physics, yeah...they are way better...at least on a gamepad.

#24 User is offline Ell678 

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:02 AM

• Am I Annoying You?
  • Project:Sonic Incursion
  • Wiki edits:6
I had a shot, and I loved it. As previously mentioned, the Unreal 3 Engine can sport some very pretty graphics, so it would be great to see something become of this. I would consider making the speed cap higher, or maybe even remove it all together.

#25 User is offline Solaris Paradox 

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:09 AM

• Project:I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
  • Wiki edits:2
Intriguing. I want to try this out on my personal computer, but I'm stuck on my family computer at the moment and won't be able to use my own until my brother gets out of bed in an hour or so. Still, I'm really looking forward to taking this for a spin.

Didn't know about the UDK until now, either. Hm. Something to tinker with in my spare time, I suppose.

EDIT 2: Okay, so I've taken it for a spin. Pretty easy to control... except for the camera, which is kind of unfortunate since controlling the camera is pretty much the core element of everything. I think it has more to do with me just not being used to keyboard-and-mouse control than anything, though.

I do like what I see, but I have to admit that I never liked having to manually align myself with (and maintain my alignment during) loops, nor the follow-the-character-through-the-loop cam, but I guess this is just personal preference... I find it supremely disorienting, though. I prefer the kind of loops used in the official 3D games, and if those kind of loops could be made to work sans boost pads then I'd probably be on cloud nineā€”of course, another option is to just keep the majority of the loops in the 2.5D sections and focus the 3D portions of levels on more creative sorts of momentum use, and I guess that would be up to whoever's using the engine. I can see some good Sonic gameplay coming from this engine if it's in the right hands.

I'll probably never get around to learning how to make stuff with it myself, though.
This post has been edited by Solaris Paradox: 27 April 2010 - 07:26 AM

#26 User is offline Xaklse 

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (Solaris Paradox @ Apr 27 2010, 11:09 AM)
Okay, so I've taken it for a spin. Pretty easy to control... except for the camera, which is kind of unfortunate since controlling the camera is pretty much the core element of everything. I think it has more to do with me just not being used to keyboard-and-mouse control than anything, though.
I have to admit that I never liked having to manually align myself with (and maintain my alignment during) loops, nor the follow-the-character-through-the-loop cam...
Sounds like a gamepad would suit you... and that you would love some of these cameras.

#27 User is offline Solaris Paradox 

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:36 AM

• Project:I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
  • Wiki edits:2
Those cameras look pretty sweet, and yes, I am most in my element with a gamepad, being a console gamer.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like my PS3 controller's compatible with your engine at this point.

#28 User is offline Azookara 

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:56 PM

• take it from me, little buddy
  • Project:hoboagogo?
  • Wiki edits:27
Question: I haven't downloaded it yet (it's gonna be a long load as it's loading right now on my family computer), but how well does rolling and the Spin dash work? Do they function as they are correctly supposed to? Also, is the speedcap bit fixed and momentum is fully gainable?

I'm looking very forward to playing this. I'll post impressions when I get the chance.

#29 User is offline Xaklse 

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (Solaris Paradox @ Apr 27 2010, 05:36 PM)
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like my PS3 controller's compatible with your engine at this point.
I assume that it works for other PC games... I'll see what can I do about it.

QUOTE (Azukara @ Apr 27 2010, 10:56 PM)
how well does rolling and the Spin dash work? Do they function as they are correctly supposed to? Also, is the speedcap bit fixed and momentum is fully gainable?
Everything works and no speed caps -rolling sucks visually though.

#30 User is offline pyrotix 

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:22 PM

• Project:Newmindspace
Can't test it because I'm using a pirated XP SP1 copy and it requires SP2 haha.

So some more videos would be nice!

• 84 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users