Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic the Hedgehog Classic - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 66 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic the Hedgehog Classic Progress and Screenshots

#16 User is offline Hez 

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:59 PM

• Asshole
  • Project:Your mother
  • Wiki edits:27
I'm surprised at myself how well I presented this while drunk off my ass...anywhos

Rocky Route zone just isn't up to the same quality of the other zones, it would look out of place if you added it.
With Mystic Mines zone its too obvious that its recycled art, that might just be a personal thing though. But again it doesn't live up to the standard of the other zones.
As for Bridge zone, I would love to see an improved version of all the old master system Sonic's, but used as an extra tacked onto another game isn't the way I would like to see it done.

If I was to add these two in the game, they would be almost completely remastered to fit the style, the same goes for bridge zone. I was more thinking of if I should give them another chance...which at this point, looks like a no
Awesome...do the giant enemies only take one hit to defeat? Also, is the game going to be in 16:9 or 4:3? I think it would be really cool to play at the wider screen size, but is that even possible?

Edit: forgot it was a remake, not a hack. So yeah, it's possible.

The giant enemy's work like so. Instead of going to the end of the level and hitting the sign post like in a typical game, you instead look for the giant badnik. Once you are near him, music starts playing similar to a boss and you have 8 hits to kill him. They do what their smaller counterparts would do and generally, they're fairly easy. Looking for them is half the battle.

For the ratio issue, I will most likely release two versions of the same game with ratio differences.

Perhaps you should be able to unlock different art styles for the game. Say an option that makes the HUD and sprites look like Sonic 3 and the same goes for Sonic 2, palette and all. Also maybe throw a character in there somewhere like Metal Sonic as a nice bonus.

If everyone wants this? I sure can make a "Sonic 1, 2 and 3" bonus art style mode? If any bonus characters would be put in, Nack is the likely candidate. If another was, I'd probably but in Silver...ok I lied, I would most likely put in Metal Sonic
Another thing I've wanted to mention is that I feel like some of the art could use some work. Now before everyone jumps on me saying WTF THIS GAME LOOKS AWESOME, let me just say, yes it does. I'm not talking about level art here I'm talking about HUD art. The Sonic 3 font for the title cards looks kind of cheesy with the Sonic 1 circle in the background. The Sonic head in the circle looks kind of strangely drawn. Perhaps you could use the Sonic Team Sonic head for that? The Sonic and Tails art you use for the title screen looks a bit strange, perhaps that's just me being picky with personal preferences and my general dislike of American Sonic art

I have always liked the HUD, but if the majority does not, I can change it. The title screen I do kind of like, so it's most likely staying (again, unless no one likes it :P), and the sign posts were going to be something I was going to touch up near the end.
One question though, is this an actual fangame that needs to separately downloaded to play or is it a hack that can be played on an emulator?

Fan-game. Sorry sad.png

#17 User is offline True Dude 

Posted 17 January 2010 - 02:00 PM

• Wiki edits:980
I'd rather have the 3 zones scrapped and brought back for the lock-on sequel, that way you can focus on making the current levels more perfect, and the three levels afterwards can be improved drastically when the other game begins development.

#18 User is offline StephenUK 

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:41 PM

• Liquor in the front, poker in the rear
  • Project:Quackshot Disassembly
QUOTE (Hez @ Jan 17 2010, 06:59 PM)
One question though, is this an actual fangame that needs to separately downloaded to play or is it a hack that can be played on an emulator?

Fan-game. Sorry sad.png

For now...

#19 User is offline Hez 

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:52 PM

• Asshole
QUOTE (StephenUK @ Jan 17 2010, 04:41 PM)

Fan-game. Sorry sad.png

For now...

And he stirs up the crowd =P

#20 User is offline StephenUK 

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:34 PM

• Liquor in the front, poker in the rear
  • Project:Quackshot Disassembly
QUOTE (Hez @ Jan 17 2010, 08:52 PM)
QUOTE (StephenUK @ Jan 17 2010, 04:41 PM)

Fan-game. Sorry sad.png

For now...

And he stirs up the crowd =P

I'll have to catch you online soon and sort out progress. Had quite a lot of shit going on between Christmas and now, lots of work, death in the family etc. If I can get a zone conversion sometime soon I can start work on programming the objects in.

#21 User is offline Arctides 

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:48 PM

• I am a bloated bag of hate.
  • Wiki edits:2
Y'know, I think everything so far looks great. I just have to ask.. Why did you pick the most obnoxious invincibility music in the history of Sonic games?

#22 User is offline Sparks 

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:12 PM

• Project:Kyle and Lucy: Wonderworld
  • Wiki edits:21
Personally I would rather not see the other zones. Bridge Zone has been done too many times, and it's admitably a bland zone, unless it was majorly overhauled in terms of design. The other zones don't seem too interesting either, and I think a lot of us would like to see the game completed. smile.png

#23 User is offline True Dude 

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:29 PM

• Wiki edits:980
Still related to Sonic Classic, but I noticed that two of the missing Wiki Files are monitors from Classic:Since I'm sure no one else has them, Hez, you might want to replace them yourself.
This post has been edited by True Dude: 17 January 2010 - 06:30 PM

#24 User is offline Hez 

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:35 PM

• Asshole
Y'know, I think everything so far looks great. I just have to ask.. Why did you pick the most obnoxious invincibility music in the history of Sonic games?

Because...=3

Still related to Sonic Classic, but I noticed that two of the missing Wiki Files are monitors from Classic:

•Super Invincibility
•Wind Shield

Since I'm sure no one else has them, Hez, you might want to replace them yourself.

I removed them from the game for being...well, pointless.

and Stephen, no worries. I had no access to any of my stuff while I was at home over Christmas break so we're probably on the same level. PM me for a time to chat

Also, heres the sign post art. I don't think its horrible but should I redraw?

This post has been edited by Hez: 17 January 2010 - 08:07 PM

#25 User is offline Sonic Boom 

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:56 PM

• Wiki edits:12
QUOTE (Hez @ Jan 17 2010, 03:35 PM)
Also, heres the sign post art. I don't think its horrible but should I redraw?

The Robotnik signpost is okay, Sonic on the other hand appears to have a really big head compared to his hand in the front.

#26 User is offline Hez 

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:34 AM

• Asshole

More classic route...more heavily modified Sonic 1 sign post...thoughts?

#27 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:10 AM

• Sonic 3's sprites are way better than Mania's!
  • Project:Hacking some 8-bit Sonic game
  • Wiki edits:112
I like it, it fits much better. The other one looked decent, just minus his head being so big. Great work on this. thumbsup.png

#28 User is offline corneliab 

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:38 AM

• Isn't it about time you played some VIDEOGAMES?
  • Project:not posting drunk
  • Wiki edits:21
I can't wait until this is released. The visuals look nothing short of fantastic, and if the amount of work that's went into that department is a reflection of the game as a whole, we'll all be in for a real treat.

However, I honestly prefer the first signpost. Much more slick, streamlined, original, and cool looking. The modified Sonic 1 version looks strange and cheap. Never really liked the Sonic 1 signpost at all, actually...

#29 User is offline Tets 

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:46 AM

• one rude dude
Shit looks awesome. I'm looking forward to playing this. None of that fancy "next-gen" crap I've seen in so many other projects, this game looks to have genuinely good new ideas on top of the classic Sonic formula.

I don't know about that vertical heat haze effect in Dusty Dunes though. It seems like it would be really distracting compared to a horizontal one, but I'd have to actually play it to form a proper opinion.

#30 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:24 AM

• Project:Posting a lot (I have a lot of time at work)
  • Wiki edits:10
QUOTE (Hez @ Jan 18 2010, 10:34 PM)

More classic route...more heavily modified Sonic 1 sign post...thoughts?

Much better, maybe just move the mouth a bit more to the side it looks a bit strange where it currently is.

• 66 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users