Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Team Sonic Racing (Sumo Digital/Early 2019) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 28 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Team Sonic Racing (Sumo Digital/Early 2019)

#46 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:10 AM

• Wiki edits:6

View PostNaean, on 30 May 2018 - 09:51 AM, said:

The Sonic "R" will be even more meaningless if they don't at least bring back Richard Jacques for the soundtrack.

Spoiler

Richard Jacques was involved with Superstars Tenns, Generations and of course ASRT. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back.

Oh and the official reveal trailer is weak.

#47 User is offline Drex 

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:10 AM

• Lazy perfectionist
That *trailer* was pretty underwhelming
This post has been edited by Drex: 30 May 2018 - 10:13 AM

#48 User is offline Turbohog 

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:17 AM

• Wiki edits:22
Yeah that sucked. Maybe they weren't planning on the reveal today and just figured they should officially announce it since Walmart leaked it.

#49 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:22 AM

View PostTurbohog, on 30 May 2018 - 10:17 AM, said:

Yeah that sucked. Maybe they weren't planning on the reveal today and just figured they should officially announce it since Walmart leaked it.

I wouldn't be surprised. The website that the video mentions isn't even live yet. http://www.teamsonicracing.com/

#50 User is offline High Fidelity 

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:28 AM

Meh. Could be fun but stylistically it does absolutely nothing for me.

#51 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:31 AM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
Minor detail, but that Box art is kinda lame. What's with the 80s portrait style transparent Sonic and friends in the middle?

#52 User is offline Chainspike 

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:50 AM

• Stealing rings since 1994
  • Project:Sonic sprite animation?
Well that was a bit underwhelming. I was kind of still hoping the Sonic Drift 3 rumors were true. The game doesn't look bad or anything other than some of the course selections. Perhaps the classic cast might even appear just because of marketing. 15 characters does sound like a low number considering the amount of sonic characters there are and the fact that this is a Sonic only racing game.

#53 User is offline Naean 

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:01 AM

• Self-employed artist with affinity for fine detail pen drawings.
  • Project:Sonic 5 (Sonic 3 & Knuckles Sequel)
  • Wiki edits:24

View PostChainspike, on 30 May 2018 - 10:50 AM, said:

Perhaps the classic cast might even appear just because of marketing.

I sincerely hope that the classic cast does not appear only for the sake of marketing; I've had enough of SEGA pulling that stunt recently. Classic characters ought to have actual substance.

If both classic and modern character variants are included in this game, I'd prefer their stat's/abilities/handling etcetera to have some notable differences that make them worthwhile, and not merely cosmetic differences.
This post has been edited by Naean: 30 May 2018 - 11:03 AM

#54 User is offline Laughingcow 

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:24 AM

"Team Sonic Racing" huh? That sounds suspiciously similar to "Crash Team Racing".

Guess just calling it "Sonic Drift" was out of the question? Makes that R tease a load of shite.

#55 User is offline Nicky Ali 

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:29 AM

• Will stop at nothing to remind you that the Advance Trilogy exists
Overall, I'm pretty excited. I'm sure it'll be fun.Posted Image
I have to say though, I find it a little weird that it's purely just Chao in the audience. I guess I'm used to the Mario & Sonic games where it's a nice mix of Chao & Flickies:
Posted Image
This post has been edited by Nicky Ali: 30 May 2018 - 11:29 AM

#56 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:45 AM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash
First off, I'm just going to say that I'm honestly glad Walmart leaked the game (and apparently forced Sega's hand to drop that second teaser trailer earlier than they wanted). Can you believe that the planned unveiling for this game (after dropping a super short, super vague teaser that left people in the dark; and then randomly showing showing off a small corner of the game's logo three months later)...was another short teaser still showed no gameplay and gave the most bare minimum details for the project (the title, playable characters, platforms, developer, and a release date) that could had been saved for a PR release statement? As Dark Sonic said, the second teaser should had been the actual teaser they first showed.

This whole charade of "starving dog" marketing hype that's been employed for recent Sonic games has been a load of rubbish and as long as those in charge of marketing Sonic games continue to play it up to the hilt, I hope the games continued to get leaked earlier than planned so it keeps blowing up in their face. If you're going to dripfeed tidbits of information to people, then please make an effort to do so on a regular basis. Conversely, if you're going to put people through droughts of information, then you better have bucketfuls of tangible material for people to work when you do have something to show. And if you're not ready to properly announce your game, just don't tease it months before the announcement.

And speaking of marketing, count me among those as not a fan of whoever had the bright idea to tenuously connect TSR to Sonic R with the logo design, now that we have proper details and screenshots of the game. It's precisely what the rumors and the vague teasers were suggesting--a Sonic-centric kart racer--rather than an on-foot racer akin to that title, or anything else resembling Sonic R outside of the superficial notion of being a racing game. It would had actually made more sense to connect the game to Sonic Heroes, since there is a focus about competing as teams for the racing aspect for the game. But apparently that would had made too much sense...

View PostNaean, on 30 May 2018 - 10:00 AM, said:

The thing that's kind of funny about Sonic apparently being confined to a car (Despite the Sonic "R" usage.), is that I've heard quite a few people mention in the past that Modern Sonic boosting and drifting could, with the right development put in, work very well for a racetrack environment.

Personally, I could see that working too, if they designed a game correctly around it. It would be a pity in my eyes for them to not at least give it an honest shot.

Folding the Boost gameplay into the racing genre is something I've been calling for over a year now. And if you ask me, argue is something Sega and Sumo probably should had done instead if they weren't interested in making an ASR3. I'm not saying the game will turn out bad, since this is Sumo Digital we're talking about (rather than, say, Sonic Team), and I'm all for waiting for actual gameplay/more screenshots to make a more calculated judgement...but from what I've seen from the leaks, it's not really anything stand out. This just looks like another kart racer, but without the one distinct selling point their previous kart racers had (general Sega crossover game). I think SD has their work cut out for them to sell the market on this game, especially since this game is planned for a (likely packed) winter/holiday release.

The least I can give Sega/SD is using Planet Wisp for the "main" promotional stage, rather than Green Hill iteration #215 or Seaside Hill iteration #193. I'm also not quite seeing the simplified Lost World/Forces-esque art direction as other are seeing, but I will say it's not really anything noteworthy in the graphics department (though this could change with proper gameplay / official bullshots).

#57 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:48 AM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
Should've called it Super Sonic Racing or Sonic Drift Racing. Team Sonic Racing sounds derivative and kinda hokey.

#58 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:14 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostYeow, on 30 May 2018 - 11:45 AM, said:

This whole charade of "starving dog" marketing hype that's been employed for recent Sonic games has been a load of rubbish and as long as those in charge of marketing Sonic games continue to play it up to the hilt, I hope the games continued to get leaked earlier than planned so it keeps blowing up in their face. If you're going to dripfeed tidbits of information to people, then please make an effort to do so on a regular basis. Conversely, if you're going to put people through droughts of information, then you better have bucketfuls of tangible material for people to work when you do have something to show. And if you're not ready to properly announce your game, just don't tease it months before the announcement.

Seriously. I love the PR team but their marketing for their actual product is pretty awful. Why do we only get new info pretty much from leaks and Japanese media? Japan doesn't even care about Sonic yet they actually give information over there.

#59 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:18 PM

View PostAerosol, on 30 May 2018 - 11:48 AM, said:

Should've called it Super Sonic Racing or Sonic Drift Racing. Team Sonic Racing sounds derivative and kinda hokey.

I believe that the "team" part comes from the fact that playing in teams is an important part of the gameplay. It makes sense. But I'd have preferred something like "Sonic Heroes Racing" or literally anything else. The logo is nice at least.

#60 User is offline SuperSnoopy 

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:22 PM

• I prefer Sonic Advance to Sonic 2
  • Project:Learning how to fucking draw

View PostYeow, on 30 May 2018 - 11:45 AM, said:

A thousand time this. I really, really don't like the way they started marketing their games since Forces; it's basically just saying "hey this game exist" and then you have to wait 4 months before they show you actual gameplay. I miss the days of gens and lost world, where they had a lot of coverage and gameplay, and you felt like you really knew what you were getting into when the game released.

Also, wouldn't the title be better as "Sonic Team Racing" instead of "Team Sonic Racing" ? It sound a bit awkward to me.

• 28 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users