Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Spindash differences - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Spindash differences

#1 User is offline torindkflt 

Posted 17 January 2004 - 02:15 AM

• Project:Nada!
Everyone here already knows about the differences of the spindash move when compared between the beta and final. They include:

-No dust in beta
-Different powerup sound in beta
-No release sound in beta

Well, something else which I wish to mention is another difference I noticed. This difference isn't listed in the "Comparisons" section of the website, also searching the boards returns no past posts about this. The difference is the amount of power output by a fully-charged spindash. This is probably already known, but I felt it was still worth mentioning just in case.

Something I always noticed but never said anything about was that a fully-charged spindash in the beta seemed to release slower and have less power than a fully-charged spindash in the final. So, I set up a little test to see if my observations were correct, or if I was just seeing things.

First, I opened two instances of Gens. Then I opened Green Hill Zone act 1 in both emulators; one from the beta, one from the final. In both versions, I positioned Sonic in the exact same position at the bottom of the first quarter-arc in the level (Right below the raised area with the palm trees). Then, one at a time, I did a full charge to do a spindash, then released, and compared how high Sonic shot up into the air.

First I did the beta. Upon release, Sonic shot up into the air about as high as the bottom coconuts in the shorter of the two visible palm trees.

Next, I did the final. Upon release, Sonic shot much higher, just short of passing the height of the taller palm tree.

If interested, you can see a video capture of this experiment here (1.4MB). Forgive the poor quality. Regardless of the fact that I did save it as DivX, my video editor SUCKS.

As I said earlier, this is most likely already known, but just in case I thought I should post about it, given I found no other references to this phenomenon anywhere on this site or these boards.
This post has been edited by torindkflt: 17 January 2004 - 02:19 AM

#2 User is offline ClavierTekky 

Posted 17 January 2004 - 02:18 AM

Wow... interesting find.... keep up the good work!

#3 User is offline Skaarg 

Posted 17 January 2004 - 09:26 AM

• Wiki edits:4
I guess I will have to go by your word till I get the chance to try it out because I don't know what program opens .avi videos.

#4 User is offline SupperTails66 

Posted 17 January 2004 - 09:28 AM

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT PROGRAM OPENS .AVI FILES!!!??? It's called "Windows Media Player" and comes built into with ANY recent Windows OS...

#5 User is offline TechSonic 

Posted 17 January 2004 - 09:35 AM

SupperTails66, on Jan 17 2004, 09:28 AM, said:

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT PROGRAM OPENS .AVI FILES!!!??? It's called "Windows Media Player" and comes built into with ANY recent Windows OS...

Winamp5.1 plays AVI video perfectly.

#6 User is offline Badass Cyborg 

Posted 17 January 2004 - 10:26 AM

TechSonic, on Jan 17 2004, 02:35 PM, said:

SupperTails66, on Jan 17 2004, 09:28 AM, said:

Winamp5.1 plays AVI video perfectly.

There's a Winamp 5? O.O

#7 User is offline Guess Who 

Posted 17 January 2004 - 10:30 AM

• It's a miracle!
  • Project:lol
  • Wiki edits:2
I only knew of Winamp 3...

#8 User is offline Badass Cyborg 

Posted 17 January 2004 - 10:47 AM

Same here. That's the version I currently own. Is it possible I somehow missed versions 4 and 5?

#9 User is offline ComPro 

Posted 17 January 2004 - 10:51 AM

• Just hangin' around.
  • Wiki edits:4
Winamp 5 is brand new. They never released a version 4. What they did is they took the best parts of Winamp 2 and the best parts of Winamp3 and merged them, and as everyone knows, 2+3=5, so that's where that came from.

IMHO, Winamp 5 kicks ass. Download it ASAP.

#10 User is offline Badass Cyborg 

Posted 17 January 2004 - 10:59 AM

Cool! Thanks for the info, CP. *Downloads*

#11 User is offline Mr.Unsmiley 

Posted 17 January 2004 - 11:26 AM

ComPro, on Jan 17 2004, 10:51 AM, said:

Winamp 5 kicks ass. Download it ASAP.

hmmm. windows media player 9 in my view is better as I cant stand winamp at all

#12 User is offline The MOPMASTER of the year 3000 

Posted 17 January 2004 - 11:57 AM

Window Meda Player won't play this on my PC

#13 User is offline LocalH 

Posted 17 January 2004 - 12:36 PM

• roxoring your soxors
  • Project:Guitar Hero II: Rhythm Games Community Edition aka Pizza Hero II: Electric Pizza
  • Wiki edits:3

torindkflt, on Jan 17 2004, 02:15 AM, said:

Well, something else which I wish to mention is another difference I noticed. This difference isn't listed in the "Comparisons" section of the website, also searching the boards returns no past posts about this. The difference is the amount of power output by a fully-charged spindash. This is probably already known, but I felt it was still worth mentioning just in case.

Something I always noticed but never said anything about was that a fully-charged spindash in the beta seemed to release slower and have less power than a fully-charged spindash in the final. So, I set up a little test to see if my observations were correct, or if I was just seeing things.

First, I opened two instances of Gens. Then I opened Green Hill Zone act 1 in both emulators; one from the beta, one from the final. In both versions, I positioned Sonic in the exact same position at the bottom of the first quarter-arc in the level (Right below the raised area with the palm trees). Then, one at a time, I did a full charge to do a spindash, then released, and compared how high Sonic shot up into the air.

First I did the beta. Upon release, Sonic shot up into the air about as high as the bottom coconuts in the shorter of the two visible palm trees.

Next, I did the final. Upon release, Sonic shot much higher, just short of passing the height of the taller palm tree.

In the proto, the spindash doesn't charge at all, you only get the speed that you'd get from one 'charge'. You can hit C a million times while holding down and you'll only shoot forward with the same force that you would have if you hit C once.

So really, in the proto, there is no 'fully-charged spindash'.

#14 User is offline Dragon Emerald 

Posted 17 January 2004 - 04:44 PM

• ~nya!

The MOPMASTER of the year 3000, on Jan 17 2004, 11:57 AM, said:

Window Meda Player won't play this on my PC

You also have to download the DivX Player/Codec available here. I linked it to the free version without ad-ware.

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users