Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: More Sega Channel prototypes dumped. - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 21 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

More Sega Channel prototypes dumped. Even earlier ones.

#301 User is offline rganders 

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:03 PM

Thanks for spreading the info. At last test, battery was flat. I imagine it is likely the thing has no shot without the missing components. And given the guy I got it from got it out of a recycling place, who knows what may not have been thought of as a component that got left behind.

For me, I'd also love to learn more on the history of this thing even if no useful code is recovered. I will likely get this sucker into a display and make it a quirky centerpiece of the sega channel collection of stuff (and there is more than I'd imagined).

View PostICEknight, on 20 March 2019 - 08:43 AM, said:

Thanks for sharing it! I've forwarded this to the MAME crew just in case that they can do something with it.

EDIT:

Haze said:

at best it looks like some kind of graphic rom

at worst, bad dump / fried chip

note, there's a Dallas DS5003FP and battery on there too, which I can only assume is somehow related to the DS5002FP suicide chip you find on Gaelco boards etc. I can also only assume the code is/was in the SRAM, and is probably long dead. If the battery voltage is >2.8 (and at no time has anybody removed the battery or accidentally triggered the suicide mechanism, which can happen if you so much as look at it funny) then the sram might in theory still contain the code, and the dallas might in theory still contain the key for it, but if it's been sat disused for so long, in unknown conditions, that's kinda unlikely.

it is likely that all the code was in the SRAM anyway and all that is dumped is something display related.

• 21 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users