Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 70 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread Mighty and Ray Are Back In Town

#1036 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:41 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
That's because it was recently the 25th anniversary of Sonic CD. Also there has been classic Amy merch before, at least in the form of plushies.

So 99% chance this means nothing as far as Mania 2 is concerned, however if Mania 2 does come to life I'd imagine she'd be part of the plot or DLC. I would hope the base game includes Mighty and Ray since they're already done.
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 25 September 2018 - 09:42 PM

#1037 User is offline Boxer Hockey 

Posted 25 September 2018 - 10:55 PM

Tails, Knuckles, and Metal Sonic have all gotten anniversary days in the store too.

#1038 User is offline Laughingcow 

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:16 AM

Looks like Metal Sonic merch has been added as well. My bad, got too excited.

Still wondering why there isn't any Modern Amy merch though.

#1039 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:13 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Obligatory moaning about the store's lack of European shipping destinations, there's some nice Metal stuff here I'd buy.

#1040 User is offline Casshern 

Posted 28 September 2018 - 08:04 PM

View PostOverlord, on 28 September 2018 - 03:13 PM, said:

Obligatory moaning about the store's lack of European shipping destinations, there's some nice Metal stuff here I'd buy.

There's a Sega Shop coming for you guys so I hope they put up the stuff that we got here in the States.

#1041 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 30 September 2018 - 05:25 PM

• Project:Hacking some 8-bit Sonic game
  • Wiki edits:112
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but Walmart is now advertising Mania Plus in store on the display TVs in Electronics. I seen the ad yesterday after I got off work, it's cool seeing an ad for a Sonic game in store!

#1042 User is offline Prototype 

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:17 PM

So, has it been stated anywhere how Sonic Team responded to the success of Mania? I know that Iizuka had input into the game, but did it take ST by surprise? Is there that sort of tight-lipped acknowledgment of it doing well, and "wow, we're glad it's a success" business-speak, while on the whole being rather confused by it all?

The image I get from Sonic Team, and admittedly it's not based on much, is that they're a bit out-of-touch and burned out with Sonic, so there isn't that passion and excitement that there was in the early days (not to mention that very few of the original team are still around) and that they've been trying to reinvent the wheel so often that they're now at a stage where they're wondering why the cart won't roll with square wheels. (Rolling... hm, maybe this shitty metaphor was more apt than I thought).

Would it have rekindled some semblance of direction for them post-Forces, or is it sort of regarded by them as a side-project albeit a begrudgingly successful one?

At the very least, SEGA seems to have taken notice of the success. Do you guys think that this could cause a bit of a shake-up at Sonic Team, or even the dissolution of the marketing forces that resulted in them even keeping the ST name?

#1043 User is offline Laughingcow 

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:26 PM

https://www.eurogame...he-sonic-series

Basically just corporate speak. Shun Nakamura is off working on Valkyria Chronicles now (as he was only brought back for Forces). This won't amount to anything as Forces did sell "Strongly" as they put it. Nothing to see here.

#1044 User is offline Prototype 

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:42 PM

The corporate speak is painful. It's like there's so many words being said without much meaning. I mean, I entirely get it. They're never going to be objective when they're involved in the creation and marketing of a project, and I'm sure that a lot of talented people worked on these games and they're never going to be thrown under a bus.

It's weird, it's like they're going to keep churning out Sonic titles because of brand recognition, but from what I've read, ST members only seem to get a bit more enthusiastic and excited about other non-Sonic projects that they're working on. It's like they're painted into a corner, like they're locked into this weird cycle. They keep making Sonic games because they're Sonic Team, and they remain Sonic Team because they keep making Sonic games. but at the core of it there's very little understanding of the appeal of the character or any understanding about fun gameplay.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they just do think the Modern gameplay is superior, and much like "Boost Sonic" itself, they're going to keep moving forward in their chosen direction without any real reflection on whether they should or why.

I think that Mania is an interesting case, because it's not just "By the Mania for the Mania". It's "By Gamers for Gamers". It feels like the brand needs this Mania refresh, even if it means going back to the beginning to find what worked, because it ultimately feels like the people working at Sonic Team stopped playing games a long time ago, and are so deep into corporate culture and weathered by it that they can't look at a game for it's gameplay anymore.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Upon re-reading the interview, one can easily read disdain in Nakamura's comments. It seems like such a strange thing to imply that the 2D games are simpler to get the hang of or easier to play than the modern 3D titles, as I've found that it's exactly the opposite. The 3D games have nowhere near the same amount of complexity as the 2D games. Every time you play the 2D games, you discover a new way to play, or you find that you navigate levels differently based on your understanding of the physics, whereas the 3D games seem to be little more than boosting and scripted elements with the occasional very basic platform engine with a veneer of Sonic-ness slapped on top.

They seem to be stuck in that weird late '90s mindset of "3D is inherently better because it's 3D" without actually analyzing what works and what doesn't. It amuses me that they can both show a level of disdain for the 2D titles, while at the same time acknowledging that the success of Mania made them sit down and think about what they could take from Mania to improve their 3D titles. Which is probably just more emphasis on the veneer of Sonic, which was exactly what Classic Sonic in Forces was.
This post has been edited by Prototype: 10 October 2018 - 06:42 PM

• 70 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users