Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Basic Questions & Answers thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 405 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Basic Questions & Answers thread NEWBIES: Start here!

#6061 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 26 May 2018 - 02:13 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339

View PostCodenameOmega, on 26 May 2018 - 01:17 PM, said:

Excuse me, but I have another question. I know, I'm annoying. I'm trying to restore Stego and Gator to S2 Beta, but I get nothing (Stego) or glitchy HPZ graphics (Gator). Can somebody please help me? Thanks.

No, we can't help you without more information on exactly what you did, and possibly the code for those objects. But it looks like you're all out of posts now, so we can't help you anyway.
This post has been edited by MainMemory: 26 May 2018 - 02:15 PM

#6062 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:39 AM

• Model2wannaB
  • Project:Formerly Sonic the Fighters
I feel this is a dumb question but what determines animal type and direction in Sonic 1 when an enemy is destroyed at the code level? When do they disappear offscreen as well? Merely satisfying my own curiosity than interest in a hack by the way.

#6063 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:58 AM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
In the code for the animal object, there is a table of indexes, with two per zone:
Anml_VarIndex: dc.b 0, 5, 2, 3, 6, 3, 4, 5, 4, 1, 0, 1
The game will randomly pick one of the two entries for the zone, and use that index to reference a table containing speeds and mappings:
Anml_Variables:	dc.w $FE00, $FC00
		dc.l Map_Animal1
		dc.w $FE00, $FD00	; horizontal speed, vertical speed
		dc.l Map_Animal2	; mappings address
		dc.w $FE80, $FD00
		dc.l Map_Animal1
		dc.w $FEC0, $FE80
		dc.l Map_Animal2
		dc.w $FE40, $FD00
		dc.l Map_Animal3
		dc.w $FD00, $FC00
		dc.l Map_Animal2
		dc.w $FD80, $FC80
		dc.l Map_Animal3

When the animal hits the ground for the first time, it checks bit 4 of the global frame counter, and if it's set, it negates the horizontal speed of the object.

The art tiles used for animals in each level is determined by the level's Pattern Load Cue list.

#6064 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 27 May 2018 - 03:14 PM

• Model2wannaB
  • Project:Formerly Sonic the Fighters

View PostMainMemory, on 27 May 2018 - 11:58 AM, said:

In the code for the animal object, there is a table of indexes, with two per zone:
Anml_VarIndex: dc.b 0, 5, 2, 3, 6, 3, 4, 5, 4, 1, 0, 1
The game will randomly pick one of the two entries for the zone, and use that index to reference a table containing speeds and mappings:
Anml_Variables:	dc.w $FE00, $FC00
		dc.l Map_Animal1
		dc.w $FE00, $FD00	; horizontal speed, vertical speed
		dc.l Map_Animal2	; mappings address
		dc.w $FE80, $FD00
		dc.l Map_Animal1
		dc.w $FEC0, $FE80
		dc.l Map_Animal2
		dc.w $FE40, $FD00
		dc.l Map_Animal3
		dc.w $FD00, $FC00
		dc.l Map_Animal2
		dc.w $FD80, $FC80
		dc.l Map_Animal3

When the animal hits the ground for the first time, it checks bit 4 of the global frame counter, and if it's set, it negates the horizontal speed of the object.

The art tiles used for animals in each level is determined by the level's Pattern Load Cue list.

My inner Flickies are crying with happiness knowing what's in store when I finally *POOF*. Well explained, thank you for taking the time to elaborate on that for me.

#6065 User is offline FrankyPants 

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:05 PM

Hello, I'm trying to add some light branding to a Sonic Mania level for my YouTube channel, and I'm having trouble finding places in the levels 16x16Tiles.gif palette for the extra colours I need for what I want to do. I think I might have found a few unused slots that all seem to be filled with black, but I want to make 100% sure that none of the level tiles are using those slots.

Is anyone aware of any software I can use that will tell me exactly how many pixels in a gif use a particular reference in the colour palette?

I've already figured out that lines 7 and 8 in the colour palette of 16x16Tiles.gif are safe to use for adding any extra colours I want to use that aren't already in GameConfig.bin, unless anyone else knows otherwise.

Thanks!

• 405 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Yandex