Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: What was your FIRST impression of Sonic? - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

What was your FIRST impression of Sonic?

#46 User is offline Andy Avenue 

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:51 AM

1 - What was the first Sonic game you played?
Sonic 1

2 - How did you find out about it?
About a month before I was born my dad had bought a Mega Drive with Sonic 1 (probably not the most responsible use of money considering there was a kid on the way, but I'm not complaining). That was our household console up until the Saturn and Sonic was the only game I would play.

3 - What was your initial reaction to it?
I was told that as a toddler I would zone in to the TV whenever Sonic was being played and it was an easy way to shut me up, in later years I would play it for myself and loved the speed, music and colours. I would often get stuck at the Spring Yard boss (or if was particularly lucky, Labyrinth) and ask my dad for help until friends at school showed me the cheat codes and then I would spend all my time in Starlight Zone for the music and rollercoaster level design. The Sonic obsession eventually lead to me being bought Sonic 2 for Christmas and eventually a Saturn and Sonic Jam.

#47 User is offline Graxer 

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:50 AM

• Wiki edits:71
1 - What was the first Sonic game you played?
Sonic 1 on the Sega Mega Drive

2 - How did you find out about it?
I went to one of my friend's houses and he had it.

3 - What was your initial reaction to it?
It absolutely blew me away. Before that the only game I had played was Super Mario Bros. on the NES (at another friend's house) and the speed of Sonic and the beauty of Green Hill Zone amazed me. On the other hand, I found it ridiculously difficult at the time and couldn't get past Green Hill Zone. I didn't have any consoles until years later when I was given a Game Gear as a present along with Sonic 1 (8-Bit).
This post has been edited by Graxer: 13 April 2018 - 10:53 AM

#48 User is offline Neko Kit Su 

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:32 PM

• I've never had a title, and I never will!
  • Project:Freelance
  • Wiki edits:10
1. Sonic 1.

2, A very vague memory, since I was really young then. I just remember being at one of my mom's friend's houses and seeing Sonic 1 being played (they wouldn't let me play it), then my friend next door got a Genesis and I played it a bit over there.

3. Loved it. I fell in love with the art style, and it's something that's stuck with me through all these years. I love the geometrically designed landscape, the way everything is bright and poppy, and even the animated background in Scrap Brain. The music was great too, and I just loved how fast it was compared to my NES games.

I eventually got my own Genesis model 1, used, as a present for graduating Middle School, circa 2001. It came with Sonic 1 and the Power Base converter, plus a couple controllers and an RF that needed replacing. Still have it, I'm looking at it right now, though I need to get its cables together. :)

#49 User is offline HyperShadowDC 

Posted Yesterday, 11:07 PM

• Wiki edits:3
1. Sonic The Hedgehog
2. It came with my genesis
3. I obviously liked it enough to be here.

• 4 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users