Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: General Questions and Information Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 55 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

General Questions and Information Thread was More requests/B-Club, PSIV, and some game ID for now :/

#751 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:01 AM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2
>tfw you are looking for info on Game Gag 1P Comic Sega-hen without trying to buy the book but every single webpage and even eBay descriptions list the exact same thing you yourself put as the description for the Sega Retro page

Jesus Christ I'm gonna have to buy this, aren't I?

#752 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 23 December 2018 - 07:09 AM

• match up tails to the cards
  • Project:you just can't catch 'em, wiggly worms
  • Wiki edits:20,569

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 02 December 2018 - 05:01 PM, said:

View PostGryson, on 29 November 2018 - 08:24 PM, said:

Anybody ever heard of this one?

There was a Mega Drive TV show in Japan for a short time in 1990 called Hiroko Moriguchi's Mega Kids TV.

It's not clear how many episodes there were. This site talks about the first two:

http://segamania.net...4/bn081001.html

It mostly seems unrelated to the Mega Drive and focuses more on promoting singer Hiroko Moriguchi. The first episode featured some short Darwin 4081 gameplay at the end, and the second episode featured a Phantasy Star 3 skit and music by the SST Band.

Here is a clip from the first episode (nothing related to the MD...):

https://www.youtube....h?v=YjZ9Rv0Qx60

I discovered it from some coverage in Beep! MD: https://retrocdn.net...-05.pdf&page=12

Had a quick look and made a Moriguchi Hiroko no Mega Kids TV page:

https://retrocdn.net...-07.pdf&page=72

Got some air dates. Could be a struggle to find footage though.

Have a bus/van thing.

#753 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 23 December 2018 - 06:19 PM

• Wiki edits:18
If anybody has the December 1988 and January 1989 issues of Beep! Mega Drive, they respectively contain a preview and a walkthrough of an uncut version of Osomatsu-kun: https://mdshock.com/...-infamous-game/

Osomatsu-kun was first previewed in the December 1988 issue of the magazine Beep! The short preview featured a few screenshots of the game and noted that it would be released on a 4 Mb cartridge. The screenshots looked promising: the bizarre characters seemed to reflect the wacky humor of the source material, and the different worlds appeared detailed and colorful.

Osomatsu-kun was released just in time for the holiday season on December 24, 1988 at a price of ¥5,500. However, word quickly spread that it was not quite up to par. The January 1989 issue of Beep! featured an in-depth look at the game, including a walkthrough of each of its levels. This turned out to not be much since the final product contained only three levels. It was also noted that the game shipped on a 2 Mb cartridge, rather than the previously reported 4 Mb.

I've always hated this game even though I love the anime, but now I'm really curious about this supposedly better version.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 23 December 2018 - 06:20 PM

#754 User is offline doc eggfan 

Posted 24 December 2018 - 09:42 AM

• bona fide games journalist
  • Project:GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
Apparently, episodes 17 and 18 of The Zone feature footage from the "prototype" of the Model 1 Star Wars Arcade, which was only located at the George Street Timezone Arcade in Sydney during August 1994. This doesn't line up with the game being released in Japan a whole year earlier though.

#755 User is offline Gryson 

Posted 25 December 2018 - 05:30 PM

View Postbiggestsonicfan, on 16 December 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

View PostTheKazeblade, on 01 December 2018 - 10:19 PM, said:

If any of you hadn't already seen the news, the book Console Wars is being adapted into a TV series. I know there's mixed feelings around here on the books' fictionalization of events, but considering the 4 years that have passed since it was published, hopefully they've taken some time to to fact-check and bring in some more factual aspects as opposed to focusing on the drama. Can't help but feel optimistic, whether that's misplaced hope or not.

There will be no fact checking, as Sega and Nintendo of Japan will keep their secrets to the grave. We will never fully realize the console wars, just what we've interpreted from them.

I wouldn't say so. We've gotten recent "tell-all" interviews from people like Hideki Sato:

http://www.sega-16.c...e-new-interview)

And the interviews quoted in Collected Works with people like Hayao Nakayama. These go a long way to showing the Japanese perspective (and showing that a lot of the claims in Console Wars are questionable).

View PostICEknight, on 23 December 2018 - 06:19 PM, said:

If anybody has the December 1988 and January 1989 issues of Beep! Mega Drive, they respectively contain a preview and a walkthrough of an uncut version of Osomatsu-kun: https://mdshock.com/...-infamous-game/

Osomatsu-kun was first previewed in the December 1988 issue of the magazine Beep! The short preview featured a few screenshots of the game and noted that it would be released on a 4 Mb cartridge. The screenshots looked promising: the bizarre characters seemed to reflect the wacky humor of the source material, and the different worlds appeared detailed and colorful.

Osomatsu-kun was released just in time for the holiday season on December 24, 1988 at a price of ¥5,500. However, word quickly spread that it was not quite up to par. The January 1989 issue of Beep! featured an in-depth look at the game, including a walkthrough of each of its levels. This turned out to not be much since the final product contained only three levels. It was also noted that the game shipped on a 2 Mb cartridge, rather than the previously reported 4 Mb.

I've always hated this game even though I love the anime, but now I'm really curious about this supposedly better version.

I think I may have worded that poorly. The preview and walkthrough are for the final 3-stage version of the game. As far as I know, there has never been any documentation of an uncut version, which may not have ever existed.

#756 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 26 December 2018 - 05:37 PM

RE: comparisons of things:

https://segaretro.or...ory:Comparisons

Swamping Sega Retro with unfinished pages because questionable life choices and Christmas. Some of them are starting to take shape:

Golden Axe (home computers)/Comparisons

There's a lot of potential here... but we really need more people to come in and write some prose. Most games are represented, but most representation is just "THIS GAME EXISTS".

Feel free to take some screenshots and fill in the blanks too. The plan is to document as much as possible, but this is time consuming stuff.

#757 User is offline doc eggfan 

Posted 28 December 2018 - 03:22 PM

In the latest episode I've uploaded of The Zone, there was a preview for The_Flintstones_(Ocean) at 10:08. Bev didn't specifically mention if the footage was for the SNES or the unreleased Mega Drive game, is there a way to tell the difference?

#758 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 28 December 2018 - 06:49 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View Postdoc eggfan, on 28 December 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

In the latest episode I've uploaded of The Zone, there was a preview for The_Flintstones_(Ocean) at 10:08. Bev didn't specifically mention if the footage was for the SNES or the unreleased Mega Drive game, is there a way to tell the difference?

Hmmm, interesting! Let's analyze what we have.
Posted Image Posted Image
Slightly different logos with different sizes (both in a similar aspect ratio). One of them lacks the translucent halo but there's also other elements that haven't been implemented yet. However, the less colorful and detailed pieces of land make me suspicious of a Mega Drive version being shown. But they could have just been altered afterwards.
Also, even though the used fonts are just different (and they may have wanted to switch to a fixed width afterwards for whatever reason), some of the letters which may have the same pixel width look a bit wider in the SNES version, so the prototype may be using the Mega Drive's higher resolution mode.

Well, this is odd. I think they may have zoomed in the picture to avoid showing the top and bottom PAL borders, so the picture looks squashed and crops the sides. Let's try to align the background, since the camera seems to be placed at a slightly different position:

Except from the added/tweaked elements, the graphics and their colors seem to match... but then again, the SNES version kinda looks like a Mega Drive game.

The gradient in the background looks blue instead of purple as in the SNES but that could have been changed at any time. It does seem to have some dithering in it but... the SNES version is filled with all kinds of dithering everywhere, so...

Not sure. :(

EDIT: Oh, if we go back to the title screen and resize it to remove the PAL squashed aspect ratio, we get this:
The first screen grab now shows a more or less perfect circle, with the second one stretching it due to not adapting the graphics to the SNES' lower resolution. Now I'm more suspicious that it's a Mega Drive prototype...
Outside of the menu, the prototype may have switched to the Mega Drive's lower resolution mode, matching the SNES' display.

EDIT 2: Yep, looks just like the SNES logo would in 1:1 pixel aspect ratio, with more space to the sides giving away the higher resolution used in the prorotype:
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 28 December 2018 - 07:27 PM

#759 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 29 December 2018 - 06:21 AM

I think it's Mega Drive footage - I can't see them bothering to change the menu text for any other reason than the SNES running at 256x224. You can see glimpses of the blue background in Mean Machine Sega's coverage of the game.

The impression I get is that this was originally designed as a Mega Drive game before being brought to the SNES - that seems to be a common workflow for the time.

#760 User is offline doc eggfan 

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:07 PM

Sort of further confirmation that La Russa Baseball 95 got a "PAL" release in Australia from the preview featured in episode 22 of The Zone (time = 14:03)

#761 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:46 PM

I was close to making a new topic but bleh:

Sega Retro needs screenshots. Of most things.

We're at a stage where virtually all mainstream Sega games have pages on Sega Retro. There is documented proof of these games existing, but what we don't have, is much visual content on the wiki in terms of what these games look like. We have title screens - that's usually about it.

Think of how mobygames does it - users just upload screenshots of "things" to help convey what a game is about. The difference is, our wiki is more accurate, and we want a lot more content. I've tried to push this on Sonic Retro too - I don't want bullet point lists of levels or bugs or features - I want screenshots of these things in-game. Show me what that level looks like, show me the interesting bits, show me how to break the game, etc.

Examples so far:

Daytona USA/Hidden content

GameFAQs will give you lists of cheat codes for games. Not all of them work - we can show them working.

Space Harrier (JP home computers)/Comparisons

Space Harrier was ported to systems that could barely render graphics. How does that compare to the real thing?

Fantasy Zone

Every level and boss of Fantasy Zone detailed.

Sonic the Hedgehog (16-bit) bug list

This is on Sonic Retro but we'll want similar for Sega Retro some day - visual representation of bugs.

And we could use weird stuff as well - loading screens. Credits. High score tables. Localisation differences. And that's before all the maps and sprites and whatever we might need to document a game. Nothing is not important.

Also, unlike scans (of which we still need loads), people don't need to invest in hardware to join in with this one. You have copies of Kega Fusion and various flavours of Gens, and modern consoles even have screenshot features - it's exceedingly easy to get something up there. It's just that there's 3809213820193 games out there so the workload needs spreading.

#762 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 05 January 2019 - 03:11 PM

I would like to go on record that the Amstrad CPC version of World Championship Soccer gets my vote for the worst video game to be affiliated with Sega:

Posted Image

https://segaretro.or...cer/Comparisons

This game wasn't great on the Mega Drive, but given its age and its place in history, it can at least be said to be "tolerable".

On the Amstrad CPC, it runs at about three or four frames per second, is played entirely in monochrome and like all the computer ports, is reduced to a single KICK button, which can send the ball to players you can't see. The AI will also struggle to score. It is unplayable.

Posted Image

Just a friendly bit of public service.

#763 User is offline Pirate Dragon 

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:05 PM

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 05 January 2019 - 03:11 PM, said:

I would like to go on record that the Amstrad CPC version of World Championship Soccer gets my vote for the worst video game to be affiliated with Sega:

Posted Image

https://segaretro.or...cer/Comparisons

This game wasn't great on the Mega Drive, but given its age and its place in history, it can at least be said to be "tolerable".

On the Amstrad CPC, it runs at about three or four frames per second, is played entirely in monochrome and like all the computer ports, is reduced to a single KICK button, which can send the ball to players you can't see. The AI will also struggle to score. It is unplayable.

Posted Image

Just a friendly bit of public service.

It looks like a crappy straight port of the Spectrum version. That happened a lot on CPC, which was a shame as it was capable of a lot more.

#764 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 06 January 2019 - 05:27 PM

It runs better on the Spectrum. Not by much, but enough to put it in the same performance brackets as some of the other Sega ports (that is to say, 10FPS was totally acceptable back then so make of that as you will).

One of the issues with CPC emulation is, because I don't know much about the machine, I can't tell if the choice of colours is pseudo support for monochrome monitors, or that the emulator is set up poorly (or most likely, the colours just suck).

#765 User is offline Pirate Dragon 

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:42 AM

Spectrum games were often monochrome in the playfield to avoid colour clash. That's why lazy "Speccy Ports" like World Championship Soccer were also monochrome on CPC. The colours often weren't even tailored for CPC, and code designed for Spectrum would also run slower on CPC.

So yeah, "the colours just suck". :p

• 55 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users