don't click here

Sonic Hacking Contest 2017 NOW LIVE

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Spanner, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    As promised, the deadline expired at midnight EST, we are no longer taking submissions for this year's Hacking Contest.

Those that did enter have until the end of Sunday 5th November to polish their entry and fix any bugs. However, we will be checking all submitted entries during this week to make sure that they have a playable build already and that it passes the Quality Control Criteria. If we decide that your entry is not for the Contest this year, you will be emailed about it. This is why unlike previous years, there will not be a list of entries posted until the Updates Deadline.

For those that still want to show off something, there is always the Hack Expo, which gives you all the exposure of the Contest, just without the entry being judged. We still are taking submissions for that up to the end of Sunday 12th November, which as of this post is two weeks away.

2. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    If you have a submission to the Hacking Contest, we need a final build submitted by the end of today (Sunday) by Midnight EST. This MUST be uploaded to the site. Any off-site links of ROMs will be manually uploaded to the site at the deadline if they have not been already.

For those who feel that they do not have enough time to finish, you can forfeit your entry from being judged by having it moved to the Hack Expo, which gives you up until the end of Sunday 12th November to finish up (and we are still taking submissions for that by the way). But if you want that done, you need to let us know by the end of today.

The list of Contest submissions will be posted tomorrow, provided that the final quality control checks are complete. If it is not posted on Monday, you know why.

3. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Triple post, I know. I'm sure this announcement will get people posting again!

First, watch this trailer video, made by redhotsonic:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXyL6C5Qp_I[/youtube]
    Next, let's have a look at this year's Hacking Contest entries. Not as many compared to last year but remember we have the unjudged Hack Expo too which the list for that will be revealed next Monday.

1. [*]A Generic Sonic 1 ROMhack by CHRdutch
      [*]A Rushed Sonic Hack by Unlimited Trees
      [*]Achi (AKA another trend in gaming that is slightly annoying and ultimately pointless) by Natsumi
      [*]Classic Pantufa the Cat DX by VAdaPEGA
      [*]Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - DX Edition by RadioShadow
      [*]Heroes Mod Loader & Tweakbox by sewer56lol
      [*]Metal Sonic Rebooted by Lone Devil
      [*]Mr. Cat's 16 Day Challenge by Mr. Cat
      [*]SADX Lantern Engine by SonicFreak94
      [*]Sonic & Ashuro by Ashuro
      [*]Sonic 1 - Comet Edition v2.1 by BCasais
      [*]Sonic 1 Back to South Island by PineappleArse
      [*]Sonic 1 Dragon Edition by DragonWolfLeo
      [*]Sonic 1: Colors Edition by campbellsonic
      [*]Sonic 2 for PC & New 3DS by Clownacy
      [*]Sonic 2: Zen Island by Yoshister
      [*]Sonic 3 Chaos Adventure by Jdpense
      [*]Sonic Chaos Quest Ultimate by Narcologer
      [*]Sonic Double Dash by SteamPoweredPixel
      [*]Sonic Egg Factory ReMastered by FoxConED
      [*]Sonic Halloween by CamManS5
      [*]Sonic Legacy by GammaV
      [*]Sonic Redux (Character Demo) by InvisibleUp
      [*]Tails Adventure X-L by lordxernom

4. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Copypaste from the website:

Just a reminder that we close submissions to the Hack Expo at the end of Sunday 12th November at Midnight EST. Get your submissions and updates in by this deadline.

Make sure that you have everything uploaded and make sure that your entry passes the Quality Control Criteria, as those that don't will be removed altogether. A list of all entries will be put up on Monday provided there aren't any delays with the quality checks, but failing that it will be out during the week.

You will be able to download all Contest and Expo submissions at the Contest Week of Monday 20th to Sunday 26th November. Sign up for an account to be able to vote for the Community Trophies, applicable to Contest entries only.

5. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Hello everyone.

Just want to remind you all that the deadline for the Hack Expo is tonight at Midnight EST, so make sure to get your submissions and updates in before then. Your submission must have a playable build with media to be in the Hack Expo.

6. Felik

Felik

It seems that this year there are going to be quite a few interesting hacks, can't wait too play!

Also that SA:DX hack got me confused because I couldn't spot any immediate difference from vanilla SA:DX in that footage.

7. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    That's because the mod wasn't working in that footage :v:

8. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Yeah, there was a bit of a miscommunication there, redhotsonic didn't know how to properly install the mod and he was pressed for time, so it's just the vanilla game. There's plenty of visual references in the mod's forum thread though.

9. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Huh, I thought MegaGwolf and Redhotsonic were on social media hitatuses? and isn't tailschannel going through an ownership change?

10. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    MegaGWolf is taking a break from his Let's Play channel, but not immediately. He also said he would continue streaming.

11. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Here is the lineup for the Hack Expo. Obviously bear in mind that these entries are not judged and therefore there may be the occasional entry that may not interest you that much or be of a lower quality than the usual standard. Only one entry was thrown out, the rest are good for show. And yes, you may notice a certain entry in this. The fact that we were able to get that in is quite remarkable for the Hack Expo, you should enjoy all the entries on show this year.
    1. Sonic the Hedgehog Bania: Gold! Edition ~ Promotional Demo by Royameadow
    2. SADX Physics Swap Mod by MainMemory
    3. SA2 Physics Swap Mod by MainMemory
    4. Mario Mania by metalkingboo
    5. Sonic.EXE Mania by haloarbiter117
    6. Spider-Hog Mania by PotterAndMatrixFan
    7. S3K/SKC Random Special Stages by MainMemory
    8. S3K Mania Special Stages by MainMemory
    9. SADX SMPS Mod by MainMemory
    10. Mania SMPS Mod by MainMemory
    11. Mania Random Bonus Mod by MainMemory
    12. Sonic 2 Fine2uned by Clownacy
    13. Sonic: The Return of Shadow by JoenickROS
    14. Sonic 1: Terra Night by SonicBurst
    15. Sonic's Fun and Easy Adventure by Novedicus
    16. Sticks by Slashy
    17. Sonic Limbo by lordxernom
    18. Aurora Garden (Sonic Mania) by AeroArtwork
    19. Sonic 3D Blast Director's Cut (BETA) by gamehut
    20. Super Sonic & Hyper Sonic in Sonic 1 by Clownacy
    21. Sonic Lost World - Snowball Joyride by Dario
    22. Sonic Generations - Classic Green Huill Zone Forces WIP by TwilightZoney
    23. World 1-1 in Sonic Mania by AeroArtwork
    You will be able to play ALL of these entries from Monday 20th November on the website, but remember that these will NOT be eligible for Community Trophies or standard judging.

12. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Just a YouTube hiatus. But I did say I would come back for this. However, I'm only doing one stream and one stream only, whereas usually I would do a daily stream for SHC. MegaGWolf has also confirmed he is still doing SHC.

13. EnderWaffle

EnderWaffle

Ghostly Friend Member
    Sorry to bump, but I am excited for the entries this year! Specifically Sonic 3D Director's Cut, seeing as Jon working on a ROM hack was quite intriguing to me. Then again, so was Sonic Mania's dev team being partly from Sonic Retro. :v:

14. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
  15. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    [​IMG]

The Contest Week has started, you can now download all the entries from the Hacking Contest and Hack Expo, and be able to vote on the Community Trophies too.

At the time of publishing, the comments section isn't up yet but it will be soon.

All you need to vote is sign up for an account - you do not need to be verified to do this.

Here are the streams happening on Monday:
    7pm GMT / 2pm EST / 11am PST: redhotsonic
    9pm GMT / 4pm EST / 1pm PST: MegaGWolf
    12am GMT / 7pm EST / 4pm PST: SomecallmeJohnny
    5:30am GMT / 12:30am EST / 9:30pm PST (wrongly said as 7:30pm PST in the above image, whoops): The Geek Critique

If you run into any issues, join the Discord server and report them in the #site_issues channel. You can join Discord by clicking on the Discord logo at the bottom of the website.

16. Super Egg

Super Egg

Master of MS Paint. Member
    Tomball, TEXAS
    Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
    Ok people, here's the streaming schedule for tomorrow. Can't wait to see you all there!

[​IMG]

17. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Just to remind people about Community Trophy voting, because there's always a few people who do this with certain trophies.

The Crystal Egg Trophy is for the best 8-bit submission and Sonic Chaos Quest Ultimate, which a few votes exist for that trophy, is a 16-bit entry.

You can change your vote if you made that mistake.

Also, unless things suddenly change, the Tuesday stream schedule above is the same for Wednesday.

18. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Just a warning, Sonic & Ashuro's been reported to not work on anything other than Fusion, and I can confirm that on RetroArch Vita's Genesis Plus GX & Picodrive cores, it is horribly mangled graphically.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Anyone else having trouble with the Heroes mod loader? Most of the mods cause the game to just crash, specifically the Tweakbox mod and the magnetic barrier mod (which says it's missing a config.ini file that didn't come included with it). Anyone know how to make this work?

Also as far as hardware compatibility, Metal Sonic:Rebooted seems prone to crashing randomly on actual hardware, while The Return of Shadow is prone to crashes and extreme slowdown on hardware.

20. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
    Does it crash at the signpost? I've been testing with Regen and Genesis Plus GX, I only froze randomly at the signpost with BlastEm. there is also 50/50 black screen after game over (Continue screen is suppose to display) and options screen.