Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Cannonball - Enhanced OutRun Engine Released - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Cannonball - Enhanced OutRun Engine Released

#31 User is offline reassembler 

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

iOS - A port would be straightforward technically, but the only way to actually publish it to the appstore would be via Sega. And given Sega don't hold the Ferrari license, they seem reluctant to re-release OutRun at present. Besides which, it's more fun as a hobby project don't you think, rather than locking it behind corporate machinery? I'm not looking to sell the project to Sega, or make money. My goal is to bring a faithful but improved OutRun and OutRun level editing to modern platforms.

There's the recent javascript version which runs on Android well with Firefox Beta browser (30fps on a Samsung Galaxy S3). I haven't hooked up touch-screen controls, but as as proof of concept it works well. On Safari it's dead slow - maybe with Firefox on an iPad it's better?

As for Turbo OutRun and OutRunners - rewriting a game from scratch without source code is a MASSIVE project, compared with emulating an existing game. So sadly the answer is, not in this lifetime! There's more to be done on OutRun and I was never a massive Turbo OutRun fan anyway. :)

With the music, you can currently swap in any WAV you want. So that is covered.
This post has been edited by reassembler: 08 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

#32 User is offline Sodaholic 

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:05 PM

• Colony ship for sale, cheap!

View Postreassembler, on 08 August 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

And given Sega don't hold the Ferrari license, they seem reluctant to re-release OutRun at present.

Maybe the graphics could be modified to look generic and not specifically like a Ferrari? The semi-recent SA2 rerelease on PC removed all the Soap ads IIRC.

#33 User is offline TrackerTD 

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

• This is Saturn!
  • Project:This is Saturn webseries
Ah yes, I forgot about the Ferrari license - not to mention of course, the crucial SEGA hurdle.

Though I do like Sodaholic's suggestion of editing the graphics a tad, a la the Soap Shoe ad removals in SA2HD, I could see a lot of OutRun die hards upset by the change. Still, without SEGA's approval, I guess it is just a dream.

And yeah, I figured as much with Turbo OutRun - after writing the post I realised how long that would take. ._.;
This post has been edited by TrackerTD: 09 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users