Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Project AXSX (2013 and Beyond) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 53 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Are you interested in playing project AXSX?

1: Are you interested in playing project AXSX?

1. You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Project AXSX (2013 and Beyond) New Poll, come vote ! !

#781 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:44 PM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects

View PostAlexanderGogolevRUS, on 19 May 2019 - 06:45 PM, said:

Hello ! Just Showing off the new model that I have been working on for use in AXSX, I'm doing the heavy modeling, while Andrew is handling the quality control and minor tweaks here and there. The model was based on random Screenshots and videos of the original model used to render out the Sonic X-treme sprite sheets.
Spoiler

Here are some in game views next to the original sprite. (Please keep in mind that this is all very much still a WIP.
For example, The pictured in game shader is not final, the idea is that it's going to be tweaked to match the original glossy look and feel)

Spoiler

Also it's planned to add the pixelated shader to a model so it will bring more aesthetics to classic look

I CANT GET OVER HOW FANTASTIC THAT MODEL LOOKS!
GOOD JOB MAN !

For ppl just now seeing the model, I'd like to add to your post above and say that:
We'd be attempting a post process pixilation effect over just the Sonic and Badniks ( yes badnick models may be coming too), so that they look pre rendered like the current sprits.
Whats the advantage of that? You ask. Well let's say that we'll get more camera angels of Sonic Vs the limited few that we have currently if using the official spites.
Also you'd see smoother animations. ( if we chose to go down the smooth animation path)

Lastly, When the model and animations are all said and done. Don't worry! New models are not going to replace the original sprites, Rather you will be able to choose between Model Sonic or Sprite Sonic before the game begins.
( this may open up an option for the project condor models as well)
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 19 May 2019 - 07:51 PM

#782 User is offline meinukey 

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:51 PM

View PostAndrew75, on 27 April 2019 - 04:34 AM, said:

Just dropping by to say , We are on the right track for the Rotations data issue described above! Hell yeah !
Thanks to Josh and Meinukey.

It was fun working on those sprite rotations. Well, that's a half truth actually xD
This post has been edited by meinukey: 19 May 2019 - 07:56 PM

#783 User is offline McAleeCh 

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:09 AM

• Wiki edits:27
Amazing updates - as always, great to see work is still progressing on this behind-the-scenes. The idea of using an actual model and post-processing it to appear like the sprites is interesting - looking forward to seeing how that looks once it's been implemented. The model that's been created looks very accurate to the original sprites, although it looks like the head may be angled up slightly too far compared to the sprites in that front-on standing shot?

It's also a nice idea to have the option to use the original sprites from a 'purist' point of view - sounds similar to what you've said before re: having the 'original' levels and an AXSX game mode with new levels designed with your engine and its classic-styled Sonic physics specifically in mind. (Please correct me if I'm misremembering that last point - I'll admit it's been a while since the post in question...!). Since this will be an option, this also means the hard work you guys have put into getting the sprite rotations working won't go to waste.

Looking forward to seeing these new features in action - once you've got it all working in-game, is there any chance you might be able to show a quick video of the 'sprite effect' post-processing on the Sonic model? = )

#784 User is offline AlexanderGogolevRUS 

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:29 PM

• Project:AXSX

View PostMcAleeCh, on 23 May 2019 - 06:09 AM, said:

although it looks like the head may be angled up slightly too far compared to the sprites in that front-on standing shot?

it appears to happen because the sprite itself uses a bit different camera angle compared to the in game camera view, and for the model it's a perspective distortion

#785 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:48 PM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects

View PostMcAleeCh, on 23 May 2019 - 06:09 AM, said:

Amazing updates - as always, great to see work is still progressing on this behind-the-scenes. The idea of using an actual model and post-processing it to appear like the sprites is interesting - looking forward to seeing how that looks once it's been implemented. The model that's been created looks very accurate to the original sprites, although it looks like the head may be angled up slightly too far compared to the sprites in that front-on standing shot?

It's also a nice idea to have the option to use the original sprites from a 'purist' point of view - sounds similar to what you've said before re: having the 'original' levels and an AXSX game mode with new levels designed with your engine and its classic-styled Sonic physics specifically in mind. (Please correct me if I'm misremembering that last point - I'll admit it's been a while since the post in question...!). Since this will be an option, this also means the hard work you guys have put into getting the sprite rotations working won't go to waste.

Looking forward to seeing these new features in action - once you've got it all working in-game, is there any chance you might be able to show a quick video of the 'sprite effect' post-processing on the Sonic model? = )

Your correct !
The original beta levels would go into Classic mode while New custom levels, or level edits would go into AXSX mode.
, and also I have not implemented the Sprite post process shader yet, Will do a video when that's done, may not be for some time, as there are a lot of things going on with other aspects of the project all at the same time. as well as a junk load of real life offline tasks,
In regards to the model, I Haven't even been able to do some Quality checks / or the necessary production ready edits to the model Alexander sent, just yet. He's been waiting on me to send it back to him for the past few days already.
But the thing is, I'm trying to finish up some other very importing things before getting back to the model. ( Have some programmers waiting lol Cant hold them up)
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 23 May 2019 - 05:50 PM

#786 User is offline shawnsmitherson 

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:23 PM

This is one of my favorite projects to keep up with. I know its been a long time coming, and it will still probably be a considerable amount of time before we get this in our hands. But I love seeing all of the retooling and experimentation you've done over the years, and it's all incredibly impressive to me! That new model looks fantastic, amazing job AlexanderGogolevRUS!! Andrew, keep up the great work as well. Don't worry about the breaks in between when you have to deal with real world priorities, I'm sure there are plenty of folks here that are just like me who lurk and check up on this month to month. I just wanted to say, all of your efforts are appreciated!

#787 User is offline AlexanderGogolevRUS 

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:20 PM

• Project:AXSX
Hello, here is some new stuff I've been working on.

Posted Image

You can compare an original video Ross Harris made:

#788 User is offline SanicDerpy 

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:24 PM

• Project:SMPS2MID & MID2SMPS Conversions and learning to draw.
Nice! That new Tails model looks like a perfect recreation of original X-treme model that is in the video! Not to mention your new Sonic model looks awesome as well!

I can't wait to see some pre-rendered sprites of Tails, so he can playable in AXSX, I wonder if Knuckles and especially Tiara would be made into models and playable in AXSX? (However it probably be highly unlikely) Although some demostration gifs of Kunckles and Tiara in their playable levels do exist somewhere out in the internet. Which Chris Senn originally uploaded on his old website (The Sonic X-treme Compendium) years ago.

Despite a long time coming, I can't wait for this project to be finished as is my favorite fan project that I like to keep up so far (I've been keeping up for it for a couple of years btw), soon we can finally play Sonic X-treme as it was intended. Since I first heard about X-treme I always wished that it should've been released it would've been a great Sonic game. Don't worry about the breaks in between when you have to deal with real world priorities. There are plenty of people here like me who like check Andrew's progress and as well as yours from time to time. All I wanted to say is, keep up with the great effort! (As well as you Andrew!)
This post has been edited by SanicDerpy: 11 June 2019 - 08:50 PM

• 53 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users