Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Forces Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 418 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 416
  • 417
  • 418
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Sonic Forces Thread

#6256 User is offline Josh 

Posted 24 February 2018 - 04:00 PM

  • TGC Warrior
  • Posts: 1363
  • Joined: 22-January 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA
  • Wiki edits:1
From The Cutting Room Floor, looks like the game had a VR demo at a press event at one point?

Posted Image

And I'm sure it's unintentional, but that design reminds me a lot of the Sega Saturn's "bootleg sampler" demo disc:

Spoiler


#6257 User is offline SuperSnoopy 

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:12 AM

  • I prefer Sonic Advance to Sonic 2
  • Posts: 157
  • Joined: 29-June 17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:France
  • Project:Learning how to fucking draw
Hum... by VR, they mean with the Oculus Rift and everything ? I wonder if this version played in first person, I've never heard of a third person VR game.

#6258 User is online Windii 

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:27 AM

  • エッグマン帝国よ、永 なれ!
  • Posts: 106
  • Joined: 19-February 17
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Eggmanland
  • Project:Fanvids!
Personally, I thought that they named it after Phantom Ruby's "virtual reality." That's pretty damn stupid though, I admit.

#6259 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:14 AM

  • Posts: 11247
  • Joined: 21-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostSuperSnoopy, on 25 February 2018 - 06:12 AM, said:

Hum... by VR, they mean with the Oculus Rift and everything ? I wonder if this version played in first person, I've never heard of a third person VR game.

Not necessarily. 3rd person VR games exist, they just aren't as common as 1st person ones.

#6260 User is offline dot.kh 

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:19 PM

  • slice of dreams
  • Posts: 115
  • Joined: 25-November 14
  • Gender:Male
These are some of my Avatars:
Ghostly Puyo-Cat looks like Rouge
Beat 'em up-rabbit doesn't know Kung-fu
Mayor-bear has a secret...
...it's a girl!!!!
Hawaiian hedgehog-lady has a fake sunburn

#6261 User is offline Lozicle 

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:16 PM

  • Posts: 33
  • Joined: 11-October 15
  • Gender:Male
Guess I'll post mine as well, since I spent so much time on them.

Paula the Bunny
Razzle the Cat
Anther the Parrot
Mellie Toal (a friend's OC)
Sonic the Boom
Winnie the Pooh
Can't think of a name, but I liked how she turned out.

When you're trying to recreate an existing character, the results are pretty much always lackluster. When you're working within the limitations of the character creator to make something original (which I did for the last one), I think it works pretty well.

#6262 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:57 AM

  • Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Posts: 4107
  • Joined: 14-August 09
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
I, too, made a bunch of Avatars. I posted them all on Twitter. Contrary to most, I wasn't going for any specific characters, I just sort of picked attributes and clothes based on feelings. I made one of every race, because I went for (nearly) 100% completion. Collecting all the different types of rings wasn't too bad, what really got me was the time trials on Classic Sonic's levels and the bosses. I've since uninstalled the game, and I feel that it's unlikely that I'll go back to it any time soon, unless some kind of really cool mod comes out.

#6263 User is offline Clownacy 

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:31 PM

  • Layin' the Wax and Spinnin' the Sounds
  • Posts: 689
  • Joined: 06-July 13
  • Gender:Not Telling
There's a million things I could say about this game, but right now I'm curious about one thing: looking through the last few pages of this thread, people seriously think this game looks amazing? Nothing really stuck out to me. I can usually see the difference between Gen 8 and 7 visuals when it comes to photorealistic games, but with cartoony stuff like this, it felt to me like it had all just hit a limit. Like, what am I missing?
This post has been edited by Clownacy: 10 March 2018 - 02:34 PM

#6264 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:43 PM

  • Posts: 4443
  • Joined: 15-January 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:6
The game has a number of nice visual effects like like scatter and reflections, and the detail in the backgrounds is impressive. But the game actually has a pretty bland overall art direction, including very flat and basic textures which bring everything down. The character models and their animations really blow too. It's a decent looking game, but that's all I can say.

#6265 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:06 PM

  • Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Posts: 1019
  • Joined: 18-November 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sega of Darkest Peru
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash

View PostBlue Blood, on 10 March 2018 - 02:43 PM, said:

The game has a number of nice visual effects like like scatter and reflections, and the detail in the backgrounds is impressive. But the game actually has a pretty bland overall art direction, including very flat and basic textures which bring everything down. The character models and their animations really blow too. It's a decent looking game, but that's all I can say.


The environments during gameplay are the only areas where I'd say the game looks consistently great. Everything else either ranges from passable to looking outright unpolished. The environments and character models during cutscenes are the biggest offenders IMO.

It's been said that this game was made on a new Hedgehog Engine built from scratch, but it really doesn't look like it to me. There's a March 2017 Famitsu interview with Iizuka on the game where he says the HE2 is actually the existing HE upgraded with added rendering capabilities and I think is the far more believable reality. Nothing about this game looks like something that couldn't had been done on past-gen hardware. Maybe it could had if the game's aesthetics were more inspired; but as it is, I think Unleashed and Generations are visually superior. Even Colors looks like a game that's graphically taking more advantage of the hardware than Forces if you ask me, and that was a Wii game.

And speaking of aesthetics and art direction; this game is a big offender of real is brown if you ask me. It's not only the basic textures that makes the game look bland, the overall color scheme for the game seems to revel in utilizing beige, brown, gray, or darker variations of those three colors in all of the game's level settings. Outside of Classic Sonic's Green Hill level (due to actually living up to the name, the other Green Hill levels may as well be Dust Hill levels) and the Metropolis level (due to its heavy use of white for its architecture, as well as secondary bright green colors); the rest of the game looks very desaturated. Casino Forest is to me the most egregious example in the game; due to trees/shrubbery everywhere and the zone taking place at night. If it wasn't for the neon casino colors, the entire place would just be a mush of dark gritty browns and greens.

#6266 User is offline Impish 

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:42 PM

  • Posts: 716
  • Joined: 22-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Wiki edits:7

View PostYeow, on 10 March 2018 - 08:06 PM, said:

View PostBlue Blood, on 10 March 2018 - 02:43 PM, said:

The game has a number of nice visual effects like like scatter and reflections, and the detail in the backgrounds is impressive. But the game actually has a pretty bland overall art direction, including very flat and basic textures which bring everything down. The character models and their animations really blow too. It's a decent looking game, but that's all I can say.


The environments during gameplay are the only areas where I'd say the game looks consistently great. Everything else either ranges from passable to looking outright unpolished. The environments and character models during cutscenes are the biggest offenders IMO.

It's been said that this game was made on a new Hedgehog Engine built from scratch, but it really doesn't look like it to me. There's a March 2017 Famitsu interview with Iizuka on the game where he says the HE2 is actually the existing HE upgraded with added rendering capabilities and I think is the far more believable reality. Nothing about this game looks like something that couldn't had been done on past-gen hardware. Maybe it could had if the game's aesthetics were more inspired; but as it is, I think Unleashed and Generations are visually superior. Even Colors looks like a game that's graphically taking more advantage of the hardware than Forces if you ask me, and that was a Wii game.

And speaking of aesthetics and art direction; this game is a big offender of real is brown if you ask me. It's not only the basic textures that makes the game look bland, the overall color scheme for the game seems to revel in utilizing beige, brown, gray, or darker variations of those three colors in all of the game's level settings. Outside of Classic Sonic's Green Hill level (due to actually living up to the name, the other Green Hill levels may as well be Dust Hill levels) and the Metropolis level (due to its heavy use of white for its architecture, as well as secondary bright green colors); the rest of the game looks very desaturated. Casino Forest is to me the most egregious example in the game; due to trees/shrubbery everywhere and the zone taking place at night. If it wasn't for the neon casino colors, the entire place would just be a mush of dark gritty browns and greens.

I thought the Death Egg and Chemical Plant Levels were fairly colorful to be fair. Although the "city" levels were just a gross mixture of the worst of Spagonia mixed with the worst of Crisis City. And Generations Rooftop Run was the prettiest level in the game imo, so it's a real shame.

#6267 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:23 PM

  • Posts: 11247
  • Joined: 21-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10


Well these are some lovely glitches. Some good skips though.

#6268 User is online JRokujuushi 

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:55 PM

  • I'm give up your appellation's technical monkey
  • Posts: 92
  • Joined: 24-September 12
  • Gender:Male
And now Boundary Break's getting in on the game. I was surprised to see how much stuff was made that would never get seen during normal gameplay, like the back sides of buildings and stuff behind the camera in Classic Sonic's stages.



#6269 User is offline Laura 

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:59 AM

  • Brightened Eyes
  • Posts: 523
  • Joined: 01-November 12
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:England
Have people discussed Nakamura's hysterical 'dashing like a maniac' comments?

#6270 User is offline Hitlersaurus Christ 

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:33 AM

  • @gayanimedad
  • Posts: 360
  • Joined: 27-August 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:glorious nippon
  • Project:Snoic Generatons 2017
Yes

  • 418 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 416
  • 417
  • 418
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users