Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: SADX Lantern Engine - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
    Locked
    Locked Forum

SADX Lantern Engine Dreamcast lighting for SADX PC! (v1.4, 09/24/17)

#76 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted Today, 03:52 AM

  • A "Community Enigma"?
  • Posts: 1396
  • Joined: 23-January 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:51
Well, crap. The Dreamcast character models pack wasn't working (SADX wouldn't even boot), which I determined to be an older, out of date version of the Lantern Engine mod. Updated to the newest DLL, updated to the newest Lantern Engine mod, and now SADX crashes the moment it renders any 3D model.

I'm pretty sure it's just this laptop's crummy old Intel onboard GPU, but it sucks primarily because the older version used to work (albeit with some framerate drops on stages like Red Mountain and Speed Highway). Now I just can't use Lantern Engine. :/

#77 User is offline Mester Keel98 

Posted Today, 08:24 AM

  • Presario Man
  • Posts: 508
  • Joined: 16-June 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Nada
  • Wiki edits:3

View PostBlazeHedgehog, on Today, 03:52 AM, said:

Well, crap. The Dreamcast character models pack wasn't working (SADX wouldn't even boot), which I determined to be an older, out of date version of the Lantern Engine mod. Updated to the newest DLL, updated to the newest Lantern Engine mod, and now SADX crashes the moment it renders any 3D model.

I'm pretty sure it's just this laptop's crummy old Intel onboard GPU, but it sucks primarily because the older version used to work (albeit with some framerate drops on stages like Red Mountain and Speed Highway). Now I just can't use Lantern Engine. :/
Just want to possibly reassure about the old GPU thing - I'm having the same issue with newer dedicated GPU desktop card, GTX 1070.

I am able to use a much older version of the pallete lighting mod I have on hand (version 1.1), but updating to 1.3 causes it to crash as soon as anything 3D is rendered much like in that case there. Probably worth noting, I did grab the 1.5.0 d3d8to9 thing listed on the Lantern Engine download page, and have made doubly sure it's the version I've got in the SADX folder. Using Windows 10 64-bit if that matters to any degree. Game works pretty fine on the old mod and without mods (but with the loader), with the Lantern Engine always being first in load order when I try using either version (other mods limited to input fix and some of the rest of the stuff that comes with the latest Dreamcast Conversion installer).

Here's the entire log file for the above thing:
Spoiler


Seems to stop at the redirection step. Apparently that's correct? It seems to be doing its job since it generates this exact thing when not using the mod as well.

To verify, the older mod definitely works (with the newer d3d8to9 file, even):
On, Off

Just the newer one dies to death.
This post has been edited by Mester Keel98: Today, 09:23 AM

#78 User is online Morph 

Posted Today, 01:34 PM

  • AKA SonicFreak94.
  • Posts: 728
  • Joined: 01-August 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Utah
  • Project:SA1/2 hax
  • Wiki edits:11
You're right, it is crashing with d3d8to9 v1.5. The latest dev build works fine with v1.5, but for the stable release I'd recommend using d3d8to9 version 1.4.

Edit: in fact, let me just push this update...
This post has been edited by Morph: Today, 02:09 PM

#79 User is online Morph 

Posted Today, 02:37 PM

  • AKA SonicFreak94.
  • Posts: 728
  • Joined: 01-August 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Utah
  • Project:SA1/2 hax
  • Wiki edits:11
Well, scratch that last post. I've just pushed Version 1.4 which should be a welcome update for those on older hardware.

This version has two major performance improvements:

Shader cache, which caches shaders on disk to improve startup time, and manually managed vertex/pixel shaders (no more D3DX Effects). The latter improved performance by as much as 50% on my system. D3DX Effects are amazingly aggressive with resource management, which is why it ran so poorly. For full release notes, see the link above.

This should also work fine with d3d8to9 v1.5, as previously mentioned. :v:

Edit: And by the way, I wanted to thank everyone who has been reporting bugs here and on the issue tracker on the repo. This is my only (somewhat-personal) project with so much community engagement, and the bug reports really really help. Thank you!
This post has been edited by Morph: Today, 02:42 PM

  • 6 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
    Locked
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users