Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 60 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread Mighty and Ray Are Back In Town

#886 User is offline Yeow 

Posted Yesterday, 09:47 AM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash
Eurogamer held an interview with Mania's development team (generally with Whitehead, but comments from Fry and Flick are also there) about the production of the game: Unbottling Sonic's secret sauce: the making of Sonic Mania.

Lots of good stuff, but here's probably the biggest thing to note as it pertains to the future:

So, what's next for the team - and would Whitehead ever move away from the 2D games that have made his name? "Speaking of games in general I love 3D," he says. "I've worked personally with my own tech with 3D, not for Sonic. 3D interests me as a game developer a lot. It presents a whole different world of design challenges. The retro aesthetic, the reason I started doing it chiefly was that when I was younger - it's a lot easier to develop 2D stuff, because I only had the computer my family had. But to do a 3D game you need a larger team, though personally I'm interested in it. I'm definitely down for it."

Hmm...

Meanwhile, the release of Mania Plus/Encore DLC gave the original Mania a notable boost on the Nintendo eShop Switch charts this week. Mania jumped from #23 (last week) to #11 on the Download-Only games list; and --for the first time since March-- resurfaced on the "All Games" list at #23.

We'll see how Plus' retail release performed on its opening week in Japan and Europe when Media Create Sales and PAL Charts surface in a few days...
This post has been edited by Yeow: Yesterday, 09:48 AM

#887 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted Yesterday, 04:55 PM

• Wiki edits:18
Ok, I just had to go buy a physical copy of this. Less than €30 for such a great game, that cute book, and the great packaging is just too good to give it a pass.

Does it count as a "system seller" when there's people who get it way before they can afford the system it's for? :v:
This post has been edited by ICEknight: Yesterday, 04:56 PM

#888 User is online Overlord 

Posted Today, 02:34 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
I don't see why not, I bought Mania PS4 and I still don't have a PS4 yet =P

Don't have nor want an Xbone either

#889 User is offline Chris Highwind 

Posted Today, 03:02 PM

• Project:Slacking
  • Wiki edits:13

View PostYeow, on Yesterday, 09:47 AM, said:

So, what's next for the team - and would Whitehead ever move away from the 2D games that have made his name? "Speaking of games in general I love 3D," he says. "I've worked personally with my own tech with 3D, not for Sonic. 3D interests me as a game developer a lot. It presents a whole different world of design challenges. The retro aesthetic, the reason I started doing it chiefly was that when I was younger - it's a lot easier to develop 2D stuff, because I only had the computer my family had. But to do a 3D game you need a larger team, though personally I'm interested in it. I'm definitely down for it."

A 3D Classic Sonic game would be interesting. Take Classic Sonic's physics from Generations, give him full 3D control, and fix the spindash breaking the game, and I could see it working a bit.
However, I'm not exactly sure how well a 3D Classic Sonic game would be received...

#890 User is offline Lapper 

Posted Today, 05:10 PM

• Project:Sonic 2 HD, Sonic Studio
  • Wiki edits:111

View PostChris Highwind, on Today, 03:02 PM, said:

Take Classic Sonic's physics from Generations

Take Classic Sonic's physics from *Sonic Utopia :)/>

As good as they are in Generations in comparison to Forces (I assume), I'm sure there are far better examples of classic physics than Generations (it relied on scripted air arcs etc).
This post has been edited by Lapper: Today, 05:29 PM

#891 User is offline 360 

Posted 57 minutes ago

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Super interesting interview - thanks Yeow for alerting us to it. Some very strong hints from Christian there though only referring to his desire and willingness to work on a potential 3D Sonic game which is obviously a far cry from Sega actually agreeing to it. Though he could be hinting quite strongly at the future there. It'd be beyond interesting if such a game ever gets the green light from Sega given his and Team Mania's proven talents. I would hope we get at least one more 2D Classic game from him and his team before it happens though. Hoping that Plus performs well over the coming weeks to send a strong enough signal to Sega - that is if Mania's resounding critical and commercial performance hasn't convinced them when hopefully it already has.

I'm also hoping we get some kind of confirmation on what's coming next (this potential 3D project? Mania 2?) before 2018 draws to a close.
This post has been edited by 360: 55 minutes ago

#892 User is online Laughingcow 

Posted 40 minutes ago

Sounds to me like you guys are missing that the "3d" he's talking about isn't Sonic.

Rather this seems like a shift into his own new IP/pet project which given he's worked on Sonic for years and programmed the Engine for Freedom Planet 2, yeah it's about time to move on.

• 60 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

9 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Member: Zephyr