Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: The Seventh Annual Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest!!! - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 7 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

The Seventh Annual Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest!!! I hate you all.. WHY DO I KEEP COMING BACK FOR MORE?!!

#16 User is offline Ayla 

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:13 PM

• I shat on your desk ^^
  • Project:Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
  • Wiki edits:67

View PostSik, on Dec 16 2008, 03:55 AM, said:

First time I'll complain about the contest rules =P

No ZIP or the like? (and if allowed, what compression formats exactly)

Yes. Zip, rar and tz / tar are allowed. =) I'm saying no IPS bullshit =P

Um, if the hacks are gonna be submitted through e-mail, why send the address unless the submitter wants to recieve info through another address?

Because I keep this info in a separate folder along with the results. Rather than sift through e-mails in the end, I use the file in that folder to find addresses of people =)

IOW, because I said so =P

View PostTweaker, on Dec 16 2008, 04:28 AM, said:

roxahris as a judge? I can't think of anyone more blatantly biased—doesn't he have his own hack that he once entered in the contest? It's not a very wise decision to have a ROM hacker himself judge; he's likely to be more partial towards his own preference of changes, what he arbitrarily perceives as skillful, and won't be able to judge to the best extent possible.

Needless to say, I severely disagree with this decision—why can't you, Verse, and Mustapha judge, like years beforehand? That worked perfectly fine; I see no reason to change it.

Well, whatever. I may or may not enter something this year, depending on my inspiration to actually bother with ROM hacking again. Who knows? Maybe I'll win something. :psyduck:

Verse and Mustapha both backed out before the end every time. I need people who are dependable, no offense to them. I was actually going to ask you to be my last judge, tweaker =P Also.. judges, as was the case in the past, can NOT ENTER THE CONTEST >=\ Anyone who rates this is going to be biased in one way or another. By having three completely different people, I get a more fair result.

#17 User is offline doc eggfan 

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:08 AM

• bona fide games journalist
  • Project:GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
  • Wiki edits:2
Sonic 2 LD will definitely be entered in one form or another. I wonder how far we'll get in the time frame, probably lucky to have Episode 1 finished by then.

I demand a Master System hack trophy!

If I could be so bold as to predict a Sonic 2 LD win, and by some miracle there was indeed a cash prize, we would encounter a slight problem in dividing it up amongst all the contributors =/
This post has been edited by doc eggfan: 17 December 2008 - 02:29 AM

#18 User is offline Xeric 

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:28 PM

• Project:S3K Mighty Sheet
I'll probably be able to whip something together by September. Mighty Adventure's progressing quite well, apart from the rubber band system, but that'll be fixed by then. =P
This post has been edited by Ashy-Bridge: 17 December 2008 - 08:28 PM

#19 User is offline Destructiox 

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:29 PM

• Masochistic Maniac, Raving Lunatic <3
  • Project:Sonic 1 Lunacy.
  • Wiki edits:45
I'm seriously tempted to enter, for shits and giggles I suppose really, not expecting to win anything :P

Expect to see a ragged, crappy hack by me pop up sometime.

286 days, (approximately anyway), let's see what I can do :x
This post has been edited by Destructiox: 17 December 2008 - 10:30 PM

#20 User is offline Ayla 

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:36 PM

• I shat on your desk ^^

View Postdoc eggfan, on Dec 17 2008, 12:08 AM, said:

Sonic 2 LD will definitely be entered in one form or another. I wonder how far we'll get in the time frame, probably lucky to have Episode 1 finished by then.

I demand a Master System hack trophy!

If I could be so bold as to predict a Sonic 2 LD win, and by some miracle there was indeed a cash prize, we would encounter a slight problem in dividing it up amongst all the contributors =/

How about I compromise and do a handheld grandprize trophy? =P I'll even enter your hack in as a GG game instead of MS. I think I'm going to take a whole new approach to this judge thing as well. I just had a cool idea last night when I was contemplating canceling the contest or not =)

#21 User is offline Destructiox 

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:56 AM

• Masochistic Maniac, Raving Lunatic <3
  • Project:Sonic 1 Lunacy.
  • Wiki edits:45
I hope you don't cancel, this is a good motivation for me to actually do something with my hack D:

#22 User is offline Jimmy Hedgehog 

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:50 AM

• Project:RAoSTH (Sprite Comic), Sawnik (Still need a better name)
  • Wiki edits:2
Hmm...I wonder if Sawnik will be in a relatively decent state by that time...if not, I guess I could always go for the "1337!!!" trophy XD

#23 User is offline Afti 

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:19 AM

• ORIGINAL MACHINE
  • Wiki edits:336
I daresay I'll have something ready by September.

I might even include something I have yet to reveal.

#24 User is offline Scarred Sun 

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:16 PM

• Rise and shine, ya sleepy layabouts.
  • Project:Staying woke
  • Wiki edits:36,091

View PostAyla, on Dec 16 2008, 03:13 PM, said:

View PostTweaker, on Dec 16 2008, 04:28 AM, said:

roxahris as a judge? I can't think of anyone more blatantly biased—doesn't he have his own hack that he once entered in the contest? It's not a very wise decision to have a ROM hacker himself judge; he's likely to be more partial towards his own preference of changes, what he arbitrarily perceives as skillful, and won't be able to judge to the best extent possible.

Needless to say, I severely disagree with this decision—why can't you, Verse, and Mustapha judge, like years beforehand? That worked perfectly fine; I see no reason to change it.

Well, whatever. I may or may not enter something this year, depending on my inspiration to actually bother with ROM hacking again. Who knows? Maybe I'll win something. :(

Verse and Mustapha both backed out before the end every time. I need people who are dependable, no offense to them. I was actually going to ask you to be my last judge, tweaker =P Also.. judges, as was the case in the past, can NOT ENTER THE CONTEST >=\ Anyone who rates this is going to be biased in one way or another. By having three completely different people, I get a more fair result.

Oh, hi there~

#25 User is offline Anthall 

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:31 PM

• Spambot
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog - The Final Showdown
  • Wiki edits:60
As Sonic the Hedgehog - The Final Showdown is getting more technical every day (Miles ahead of release 2.1, with crappy layouts replaced and heavy problems removed), if I release it mid 2009, I may win something, just maybe..
This post has been edited by Anthall: 18 December 2008 - 01:42 PM

#26 User is offline Ayla 

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:51 PM

• I shat on your desk ^^
I just cleared this idea with Tweaker and the seventh contest is going to take a revolutionary new step in the rating process. Each area is going to be rated by experts in that area. I have to talk to some people, but if all works out anyone -- even judges -- will be able to enter and this should be the fairest rating for a contest yet. The trick is I have to get commitment from many different people to do this and it requires a good deal of mass trust. Tweaker's already onboard for judging music. Just need tech, level design, art and a few others. I'll fill you all in as this falls into place =)

#27 User is offline Oerg866 

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:54 PM

• Wiki edits:3

View PostAyla, on Dec 19 2008, 04:51 AM, said:

I just cleared this idea with Tweaker and the seventh contest is going to take a revolutionary new step in the rating process. Each area is going to be rated by experts in that area. I have to talk to some people, but if all works out anyone -- even judges -- will be able to enter and this should be the fairest rating for a contest yet. The trick is I have to get commitment from many different people to do this and it requires a good deal of mass trust. Tweaker's already onboard for judging music. Just need tech, level design, art and a few others. I'll fill you all in as this falls into place =)

How are the previously chosen judges (me/rox) used?

#28 User is offline Ayla 

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:48 PM

• I shat on your desk ^^
good question, I was thinking of leaving you guys as main judges like me =P

#29 User is offline PsychoSk8r 

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:29 AM

• HighKnights
  • Project:30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
  • Wiki edits:19

View PostJimmy Hedgehog, on Dec 18 2008, 01:50 PM, said:

Hmm...I wonder if Sawnik will be in a relatively decent state by that time...if not, I guess I could always go for the "1337!!!" trophy XD

Well, since our hacks have recently merged... We should have something presentable by september =D

#30 User is offline BlackHole 

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:42 AM

• You're going to need MORE than help.
  • Project:Sprites for Cybernetic Outbreak
Can the hacks only have one level done, or does the entire game have to be hacked?

If not I may enter my own, though It most likely won't win.

• 7 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users