Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: So I played through Sonic CD, for the third time... - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

So I played through Sonic CD, for the third time... Not really a review, but my opinions of it. I'm curious about you

#16 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:32 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Of the 4 classics (1, 2, 3K, CD), CD I personally put right at the bottom of the list. It feels more clunky (especially the spindash implementation) and while the (JP) music is great (OK the US stuff has a few good tracks as well) and the special stages are pretty neat, it doesn't redeem awful level layouts (Stardust Speedway in Mania is my least favourite level of the game for exactly this reason - it feels like you're playing Snail Maze, not Sonic the Hedgehog).

Still a better game than most of the series, though.

#17 User is offline OcelotBot 

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:37 PM

• Scooty-Puff Jr sucks!
Sonic CD is a game I enjoy playing very much. There's just so much about it which I like; the sharper visuals, the amazing music (two beautiful soundtracks), the FMV intro and ending cutscenes, the in-game story cutscene where Metal kidnaps Amy at the start of Collision Chaos, who then gets rescued by Sonic at the end of Stardust Speedway. The super peel-out (with the infinity legs-figure of eight) looks awesome, the time-travel gimmick which was a great idea (it's a shame that the idea of time-travel was removed from Sonic 2), the pseudo special stages, the inclusion of a time-attack mode (first Sonic game to add this feature-I think). Very unique boss fights (the Metal Sonic race and Quartz Quadrant being the stand-out boss-fights). The ability to play the game how you want to play it; i.e. explore the zones to uncover their many secrets, get the good ending by collecting all time stones or by destroying all robot-generators, or just race through the game and finish with the bad ending. Finish acts 1 or 2 in the past, present, good future or bad future. I could go on...

Of course like most Sonic games, CD has it's faults. Wacky Workbench's act1 design - whilst certainly interesting - is a mess and Collision Chaos act 3 boss can be frustrating. Also, the physics don't feel as nice as they do compared to Sonic 2, 3 & Mania. Thankfully Taxman's 2011 remaster improve the physics.

I take great pleasure in exploring the stages, using and manipulating Sonic's speed and move-sets to move through each zone, find creative ways to time-travel and get to hard-to reach areas. Creating a good future - experiencing the harmony of nature and machine - whilst listening to the gorgeous music feels so rewarding.

To get the full benefits of Sonic CD-to be able to truly appreciate everything it has offer; you need to master the physics, the charge-up spindash & super peel-out. In other words git-gud. If you've ever seen any of my playthroughs of CD on my channel you can probably tell that Sonic CD is a game I've mastered to death...and played way too many times XD

So yeah, it's pretty good :)
This post has been edited by OcelotBot: 15 March 2019 - 04:40 PM

#18 User is offline The Growler 

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:56 PM

OK, I've stayed quiet long enough about my thoughts on Sonic CD (though I have talked about it in the past)

I've always found the time gimmick annoying and intrusive - and I actually don't care one bit about "traveling through time" to find different endings (of which half the time I accidentally get flung into the future or past without meaning to, and then have to wait for the long, un-skippable animation to finish before I can continue).

To me, all this is is just changing the colour scheme and assets of a level (somewhat) - with half of them from one ugly set of colours (with the exception of 'Good' Palmtree Panic) to even uglier colours (plus design) in this already-confusing ugly level design.

I mean, just as an example, how can anyone justify this utter mess cluttering up the lanscape in Palmtree Panic III - that doesn't even make any sense? Why would anyone think this looks aesthetically pleasing or "cool" to look at (while I'm at it, what ARE those half-spider-half...dog? looking things? Are they meant to be some sort of warped metallic palm trees?)?

Surely they could have made it look "taken over by Eggman" in the future version without all this mess; or at least make it look more purposeful.
Posted Image
The fact is, almost none of the designs make any sense

As you can tell, Sonic CD is probably my least favourite Classic Sonic game (though I've not really played Chaotix or a few of the 'minor' games) - no matter how many times I try to get through this game
This post has been edited by The Growler: 15 March 2019 - 08:04 PM

#19 User is offline Narel 

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:50 AM

View PostFrostav, on 14 March 2019 - 06:09 PM, said:

This is going to sound bizarre but honestly I think CD's whole design works better in 3D (not that anyone, fan or official, has tried). Exploring around for stuff hidden in nooks and crannies + momentum physics in 2D just...sucks. You can barely see around you and it forces you to keep a complete mental map of the act, something I've never been good at in the 2D games (I've played 3&K and Mania till my eyes bled but if you asked me to actually map out an act from them on paper, I'd be utterly lost--I just remember levels as collections of routes and "jump here, jump there"). In addition, making the levels big and explorable means that they have to be a bunch of awkward hallways stacked on top of each other and GOD that design just kinda sucks and is why Marble Garden is an awful zone :v:/> Sonic is not a character meant for slowly exploring big mostly non-linear levels--and no I'm not saying he's a GOTTA GO FAST speed demon either, he's a character focused on flow and, if not going fast, then almost never stopping for any long period of time. CD's design isn't merely flow-hindering, it's anti-flow by definition.

You do bring an intresting point, and it can help answer why I am not too much of a fan of Sonic CD, as you mentioned, the game can be flow-hindering, and honestly, this game in 3D could work well.

View PostMastaSys, on 15 March 2019 - 03:33 AM, said:

At first i didn't found it anything special, but as soon i tried to change all the futures of all zones of the game by traveling to the Past I found it's wonder.
It's almost like a puzzle game built on Sonic's classic gameplay, there's nothing like that in the series.
I guess if your head is to stuck on "Sonic 2"isms it's harder to apreciate it, but i challenge anyone who like Classic Sonic to beat the game like this at least one time in their lives.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot to beat the game like that!

View PostThe Growler, on 15 March 2019 - 07:56 PM, said:

OK, I've stayed quiet long enough about my thoughts on Sonic CD (though I have talked about it in the past)

I've always found the time gimmick annoying and intrusive - and I actually don't care one bit about "traveling through time" to find different endings (of which half the time I accidentally get flung into the future or past without meaning to, and then have to wait for the long, un-skippable animation to finish before I can continue).

To me, all this is is just changing the colour scheme and assets of a level (somewhat) - with half of them from one ugly set of colours (with the exception of 'Good' Palmtree Panic) to even uglier colours (plus design) in this already-confusing ugly level design.

I mean, just as an example, how can anyone justify this utter mess cluttering up the lanscape in Palmtree Panic III - that doesn't even make any sense? Why would anyone think this looks aesthetically pleasing or "cool" to look at (while I'm at it, what ARE those half-spider-half...dog? looking things? Are they meant to be some sort of warped metallic palm trees?)?

Surely they could have made it look "taken over by Eggman" in the future version without all this mess; or at least make it look more purposeful.
Posted Image
The fact is, almost none of the designs make any sense

As you can tell, Sonic CD is probably my least favourite Classic Sonic game (though I've not really played Chaotix or a few of the 'minor' games) - no matter how many times I try to get through this game

I see where you are comeing from, I'm not too fond of the time travel mechanic either, however, I disagree on the art. I guess things in the bad future blend with each other too much, but I like the details it has. Not just that, I think it captures the feelings of a bad mechanized world with polution and all that stuff.

View PostOverlord, on 15 March 2019 - 03:32 PM, said:

Of the 4 classics (1, 2, 3K, CD), CD I personally put right at the bottom of the list. It feels more clunky (especially the spindash implementation) and while the (JP) music is great (OK the US stuff has a few good tracks as well) and the special stages are pretty neat, it doesn't redeem awful level layouts (Stardust Speedway in Mania is my least favourite level of the game for exactly this reason - it feels like you're playing Snail Maze, not Sonic the Hedgehog).

Still a better game than most of the series, though.

Stardust Speedway is my favorite zone in CD, and one of my favorites in Mania. On CD, it is one with of the later leves where you actually move fast, and in Mania, it is a great and better recreation of it. I don't think it messes up the pace of the game at all, and the sound track for Act 2 is the best!

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users