Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania (and Plus) bugs, oddities and other stuff - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania (and Plus) bugs, oddities and other stuff ~a compilation~

#31 User is offline Crash~ 

Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:28 AM

Posted Image
Here Sonic behaves full sized, but has his sprite shrunk and aligned to the top left of where the full sized one should be.

I'm not sure what I did to make it happen, unfortunately. Sonic probably got left behind in one of the sections where you go into the distance while I was playing as Knuckles, and didn't get his size restored when teleported back into the boss fight.

Posted Image

It persists through the level complete animation.

#32 User is offline Clownacy 

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:08 PM

The search bar isn't turning up anything, so I guess no one's brought this one up.

In CPZ, the blue chemical ball thingies play their SFX twice as often as they're meant to. In the original S2, only every other ball in the chain plays the sound effect, but in Mania, all of them do. It's kind of obvious how they messed that up: in S2, every ball calls the PlaySound function, but the SMPS engine itself ignores every other call for that specific SFX.

Still, wouldn't have hurt to actually check the original game while recreating its objects, geez.
This post has been edited by Clownacy: 09 August 2018 - 09:09 PM

#33 User is offline big smile 

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:13 AM

View PostClownacy, on 09 August 2018 - 09:08 PM, said:

Still, wouldn't have hurt to actually check the original game while recreating its objects, geez.

I personally don't think it's appropriate to document bugs with this sort of tone. There's all sorts of reasons why things might not match up with the originals, especially because from what we gather, the Mania team only had limited resources and so had to prioritize their efforts.

I appreciate that in some cultures comments like that are meant to be playful, but to me it just seems unnecessary rude and entitled.

#34 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:22 AM

• Wiki edits:18

In CPZ, the blue chemical ball thingies play their SFX twice as often as they're meant to. In the original S2, only every other ball in the chain plays the sound effect, but in Mania, all of them do. It's kind of obvious how they messed that up: in S2, every ball calls the PlaySound function, but the SMPS engine itself ignores every other call for that specific SFX.

Now that you mention it, I believe it also happened in the Sonic 2 remake. Interesting to know that it was something done on the sound engine side, so it's understandable that he missed it when porting the objects.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 10 August 2018 - 10:23 AM

#35 User is offline Clownacy 

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:38 AM

View Postbig smile, on 10 August 2018 - 04:13 AM, said:

I personally don't think it's appropriate to document bugs with this sort of tone. There's all sorts of reasons why things might not match up with the originals, especially because from what we gather, the Mania team only had limited resources and so had to prioritize their efforts.

I appreciate that in some cultures comments like that are meant to be playful, but to me it just seems unnecessary rude and entitled.

Now, you see, I'd accept the whole 'you're entitled' argument if this was a free product that someone was working on in their spare time, but it isn't: my money's going in their pockets, so, yeah, I expect them to test the things they port. As someone who's working on a free product in my spare time that involves porting objects from Sonic 2, I find it a little strange that I'm the one doing it instead.

You could argue that they have limited time, but this has been an issue since the Sonic 2 Remaster (edit: ninja'd). That's four years they've had to at least double-check.
This post has been edited by Clownacy: 10 August 2018 - 10:57 AM

#36 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:40 AM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
Maybe it's not a bug but a design choice that they felt like implementing?

Since Sonic 2 remastered they must have run into this at least 100 times. They'd have to have noticed by now.

#37 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:01 AM

Well, since it's actually an issue that happens when directly porting the object alone without the proper sound engine checks, it really does seem to be an oversight.

They might have noticed but just not thought that it was a priority to fix, or just forgot how the original did it (since this doesn't sound bad per se).
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 10 August 2018 - 11:04 AM

#38 User is offline big smile 

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:20 AM

View PostClownacy, on 10 August 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

Now, you see, I'd accept the whole 'you're entitled' argument if this was a free product that someone was working on in their spare time, but it isn't: my money's going in their pockets, so, yeah, I expect them to test the things they port. As someone who's working on a free product in my spare time that involves porting objects from Sonic 2, I find it a little strange that I'm the one doing it instead.

You could argue that they have limited time, but this has been an issue since the Sonic 2 Remaster (edit: ninja'd). That's four years they've had to at least double-check.

I get where you are coming from. And I actually agree that a paid product has less leeway when it comes to these things. But the way you worded it made it sound like the Mania Team couldn't be bothered, when it could simply just have been that their limited budget meant they had to prioritize other things.

If you had made the same comments about say Sonic Forces, I'd say it was totally appropriate, because, from what we can tell, they weren't working to a tight budget (at least not as tight as Mania) and given how weak the final product was, it did seem that the Forces team really couldn't be that bothered with a lot of things.

#39 User is offline tokumaru 

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:13 PM

• Project:Platformer for the NES
The development of EVERY game goes through budget/time issues, seeing as resources are NEVER unlimited, you always have to choose how to allocate them, no matter how abundant they may seem by comparison.

That being said, I can understand wanting the product that you paid for to be perfect, but absolutely nothing is perfect, much less a program as complex as an action game, where there are literally millions of opportunities for things to go wrong, and at least dozens of them will, so I'd say that a sound effect playing at the wrong rate is a very minor issue, which doesn't come anywhere near ruining the experience in any way. But if as a paying customer you think that's outrageous and unacceptable, you can always return the game.

Nothing wrong with reporting the issue (which may or may not be a bug), but implying that the developers were "lazy" because they didn't go through every line of ASM in the original games is unnecessarily disrespectful and just shows a lack of understanding of how professional software development works.

#40 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:29 AM

I know I'm not a mod but, please guys, let's try to keep this thread on topic... =\

#41 User is offline Blue Spikeball 

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:07 AM

View Posttokumaru, on 10 August 2018 - 10:13 PM, said:

The development of EVERY game goes through budget/time issues, seeing as resources are NEVER unlimited, you always have to choose how to allocate them, no matter how abundant they may seem by comparison.

That being said, I can understand wanting the product that you paid for to be perfect, but absolutely nothing is perfect, much less a program as complex as an action game, where there are literally millions of opportunities for things to go wrong, and at least dozens of them will, so I'd say that a sound effect playing at the wrong rate is a very minor issue, which doesn't come anywhere near ruining the experience in any way. But if as a paying customer you think that's outrageous and unacceptable, you can always return the game.

Nothing wrong with reporting the issue (which may or may not be a bug), but implying that the developers were "lazy" because they didn't go through every line of ASM in the original games is unnecessarily disrespectful and just shows a lack of understanding of how professional software development works.

Meh. People make similar accusations (if they don't outright attack the devs) all the time when it comes to Sonic Team-developed games, or Sega Forever releases. So I don't really see the point in getting up in arms over someone criticizing PagodaWest for the lack of polish, especially considering that Mania is glitchier than anything ST has released in recent years (at least from my experience). Vastly superior, yes, but still glitchier :v:

On topic, I've been pushed through the floor by this spring object before. Does anyone know if this bug was fixed?
This post has been edited by Blue Spikeball: 11 August 2018 - 02:04 AM

#42 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:28 AM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash

View PostBlue Spikeball, on 11 August 2018 - 01:07 AM, said:

Meh. People make similar accusations (if they don't outright attack the devs) all the time when it comes to Sonic Team-developed games, or Sega Forever releases. So I don't see the logic in getting up in arms over someone criticizing PagodaWest for the lack of polish, especially considering that Mania is glitchier than anything ST has released in recent years (at least from my experience). Vastly superior, yes, but still glitchier.

On topic, I've been pushed into the floor by this spring object before. Does anyone know if this bug was fixed?

Probably because in terms of scope, history, and resources, Sonic Team is maybe a few leagues different than PadogaWest? You're comparing an entire division/AAA-production studio that has been around for decades and has hundreds of staff members on hand and vs. an indie studio with a development team that barely rose above 20 and is less than ten years old. Sonic Team also has over 30 or so developed/produced Sonic games to their name at this point while this is by all accounts PadogaWest's first Sonic game they've made as a studio. There's a highly distinct dichotomy of the two developers in play here that's really not hard to miss.

(e:) To clarify--not saying PWG are immune from critique; but I would say the above is why I can buy others giving them more of a pass than Sonic Team. (Meanwhile Sega Forever is a barely year old service --not studio, service-- that ports games, rather than directly developing them. It's kind of a different beast compared to those two IMO.)

On topic, character animations when I usually play the game always seem to be layered on top of the swinging poles, rather than layered behind them (which based on the sprites seems to be the intended choice). This has probably been covered, and I swear that this happened in the original Mania too, so this might be a deliberate programming choice, IDK.

Aside from that, I haven't really come across any bugs/glitches so far that I can immediately recall--at least, not any I can think of that's specifically caused by the game. I believe I've talked about being kicked out of fullscreen mode in the past and there being a noticeable pause during Act 1>Act 2 transitions; but IIRC, that's been said multiple times to be the fault of the game's DRM... -_-
This post has been edited by Yeow: 11 August 2018 - 01:34 AM

#43 User is offline Creature SH 

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:49 PM

It's kind of obvious how they messed that up: in S2, every ball calls the PlaySound function, but the SMPS engine itself ignores every other call for that specific SFX.

Sounds to me like they just didn't replicate a bug from 1992.

#44 User is offline Clownacy 

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:41 PM

You wouldn't be saying that if you've ever actually seen the code.

zPlaySound_CheckGloop:
	ld	a,c
	cp	SndID_Gloop ; is this the bloop/gloop noise?
	jr	nz,zPlaySound_CheckSpindash ; if not, branch
	ld	a,(zGloopFlag)
	cpl
	ld	(zGloopFlag),a
	or	a
	ret	z ; sometimes don't play it
	jp	zPlaySound ; now play the gloop sound

That's an awful lot of word-twisting there. I shouldn't need to explain that I don't expect the game to be perfect. I also shouldn't have to explain that adding a 'how did you miss this' doesn't equate to finding the oversight 'outrageous and unacceptable'. And I also shouldn't have to explain that just looking at the original object in an emulator does not equate to 'going through every line of ASM in the original game'. That's a strawman if I ever saw one.

But yeah, nice derail, guys.
This post has been edited by Clownacy: 13 August 2018 - 10:47 AM

#45 User is offline Creature SH 

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:18 AM

Okay, lemme cut out the attempts of approaching things from a different angle or reasoning this out and be entirely honest and direct:
It either goes bloopbloopbloop or bloopbloopbloopbloopbloop while you go by, it sounds basically the same, who gives a *****************************************************************************************

• 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users