Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Adventure Retranslated Mod - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic Adventure Retranslated Mod

#16 User is offline Windii 

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:42 PM

• 朴念仁のエッグマン
I wanna bump this thread to say that my friend DeLaKeK has completed the SA2 retranslation mod for the PC version recently. Also don't be fooled by the credits section, the Robowil guy merely replaced some lines in Last Story with my script, while DeLaKeK handled replacing for the rest of the game. He just forgot to edit that in is all.

#17 User is offline Kæðer 

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:13 AM

View PostBlazeHedgehog, on 03 March 2018 - 06:22 AM, said:

This is a really good idea, but something I brought up when Windii's SA2 retranslation came across my Tumblr dash still bothers me, and it's the same issue that a lot of fan translation projects sometimes have...

A lot of this dialog is really stilted. It doesn't read like native english. I mean, don't get me wrong, the work here is fine, and even if it doesn't read like native english, it's still readable enough, it's just I'm more of a "localization, not translation" guy and this reads like dialog directly translated from Japanese.

When I was made aware of Windii's SA2 retranslation, I actually started trying to westernize it a little bit (with her permission), but she mentioned she didn't want "dubtitling" which I was a little hazy on, but with her mentioning grammar fixes I assume that basically meant she didn't want anything being re-written too drastically. In other words, she's a "translation, not localization" person -- which makes sense, given how much work this would have undoubtedly taken.

But it still nags at me. I should have probably gotten clarification on what she meant, but I didn't want to step on any toes. Also, to be honest, I made it less than a quarter of the way through SA2's script before I got distracted by moving cross-country and I sort of forgot about it until now.

I'd be willing to try something with SA1's script here, but I dunno what interest there is or whether or not I'm even allowed, or how far I can go.

I don't think it's a matter or "localization, not translation", but rather "good translation, not bad translation". Not that I've seen both of you's works, but I'm assuming you weren't changing onigiries to "donuts" to make it "safe for Americans" or some-thing. If you were just WORDING THINGS BETTER, that's not 'localization'. A translator's GOAL is to make (in this case) an English equivalent of the Japanese dialog. If it sounds natural in Japanese, but stilted in English, the translator has faild their job. The master translators are translators who are also good writers and can write the dialog like a professional writer would, and make it sound like it was in English all along without the help of a separate person taskt as Writer. Most translators, however, are not this good...but they try their best to be. And the ones that don't are calld "Weeabooes".

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users