Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 3D Blast MD, 2017 and beyond! - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 23 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic 3D Blast MD, 2017 and beyond! Split screen!Debug mode with lost crab!Director's Cut!

#331 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:23 AM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN

View Postroachdaripper, on 14 November 2017 - 02:28 AM, said:

View PostDigitalDuck, on 13 November 2017 - 02:16 PM, said:

Yeah, SEGA own the game.

No they don't, they just own the characters. The game itself was made with permission granted, but as far as nowadays go, pretty sure that if SEGA still own the game (as opposed to the character) - they want to distance themselves from it.
Lets be honest, the original wasn't really that good.

I dunno, I think SEGA are quite happy to reference a lot of their lower scoring games if there's some value to it. Only when there's some awkward money/legal issue (Sonic Chronicles) involved they will attempt to distance themselves from a game.

I mean, 3D Blast certainly wasn't as good as the main series Sonic games at the time, but it's far from being on the cursed (Labyrinth/06) tier. Probably a 6-7/10 game in most people's eyes. I think it reviewed about the same as Unleashed when it first came out so interpret that however you want :v:

#332 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:11 AM

• Project:Atomic Sonic Part II

No they don't, they just own the characters. The game itself was made with permission granted

Unless you can present documents stating otherwise, SEGA owns everything everything about 3D Blast. A majority of the staff were SEGA employees with the concept and design work being credited to said employees. Traveller Tales were just the suckers they hired to do the grunt work on the game. They hardly ignore the game either. There's references still being made. Generations not only had 3D Blast music, it had Sonic R and a full blown level recreation from Sonic 06, so I don't know what the hell you're talking about distancing themselves from their poorly received titles.

It's SEGA's game buddy.

#333 User is offline MiSHiKiS 

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:17 AM

It is SEGAs game, but does he hold any ownership for it? If not, would he be legally able to even keep the source code in the first place?

#334 User is offline rata 

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:04 AM

• Project:Trying to be useful somehow.
It may be my ignorance talking, but I don't think it can be something like 'burn after deal' contract regarding to his own code. Also, he may have forgotten to erase a backup disk.:p

#335 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:16 PM

• Sonic Hacking Contest Lead Organiser
  • Project:Sonic Hacking Contest, Other Stuff
  • Wiki edits:2,193
Yes, the game is appearing as an expo entry at this year's Sonic Hacking Contest Week.

#336 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:28 PM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash

View PostChimpo, on 14 November 2017 - 05:11 AM, said:

No they don't, they just own the characters. The game itself was made with permission granted

Unless you can present documents stating otherwise, SEGA owns everything everything about 3D Blast. A majority of the staff were SEGA employees with the concept and design work being credited to said employees. Traveller Tales were just the suckers they hired to do the grunt work on the game. They hardly ignore the game either. There's references still being made. Generations not only had 3D Blast music, it had Sonic R and a full blown level recreation from Sonic 06, so I don't know what the hell you're talking about distancing themselves from their poorly received titles.

It's SEGA's game buddy.

To say nothing of the title screen for both the Genesis and Saturn versions of the game literally crediting Sega as the copyright owner...

Posted ImagePosted Image
This post has been edited by Yeow: 14 November 2017 - 10:35 PM

#337 User is online doc eggfan 

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:52 AM

• bona fide games journalist
  • Project:GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
  • Wiki edits:2
The official handheld for Sonic 3D Director's Cut

#338 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:51 AM

• Wiki edits:18
People really need to stop destroying old hardware for their for-profit projects.

#339 User is offline Covarr 

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:07 AM

• Sentient Cash Register
  • Wiki edits:1
As many VMUs out there already don't work, this seems like a better use for them than throwing them away.

#340 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:11 AM

• Project:Atomic Sonic Part II
It was a mass produced peripheral sold worldwide. There's plenty of them available out in the wild for projects.

#341 User is offline tokumaru 

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:42 PM

• Project:Platformer for the NES

View PostICEknight, on 17 November 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

People really need to stop destroying old hardware for their for-profit projects.

People really need to stop dictating what other people should or shouldn't do with the stuff they paid for.

In all seriousness, it's their hardware, they can do whatever they want with it. It's not like this stuff is being put to better use stuffed away in boxes or anything.

#342 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:10 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Yeah - to be fair, I'll be first in line to complain if an uncommon/rare system is gutted out, but VMUs are FAR from hard to find.

• 23 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users