Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania: Hacking Discussion - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 47 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania: Hacking Discussion Will update when news comes out

#31 User is offline Azu 

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:55 PM

• I must be stupid.
Now if there was a mod to make the 5th special stage easy as shit.

#32 User is offline Frostav 

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:04 PM

None of the special stages are hard, I got them in like a day :v:

#33 User is offline luluco 

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:10 PM

The CRT shaders used in the game are pretty good, specially "CRT-Yee64" (according to the devmenu).

Any idea if it would possible to extract those? retrun only yields binaries (probably some corrupt), I guess the archive format changed too much.
I wonder if the HLSL files are in there somewhere?

It'd be better than dumping them to ASM for sure.

#34 User is offline Modern 

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:20 PM

• what tu hecc is modern!
OOoooooh boy, this gets me pumped! I wonder how they were able to do it so quickly? Even as just a sprite swap I'm curious to see how it can be done.

#35 User is offline Azu 

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:21 PM

• I must be stupid.

View PostFrostav, on 29 August 2017 - 07:04 PM, said:

None of the special stages are hard, I got them in like a day //forums.sonicretro.org/public/style_emoticons/default/v.png

5th stage say otherwise.

#36 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:23 PM

• Project:Too many of them
4th says the same to me too, so I don't want to know how the 5th is. XDDD

#37 User is offline tylerfoxorwhatever 

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:55 PM

• ya yeet
  • Project:i don't even know
For me 3rd, 4th and 5th. Especially the 5th. I don't know how many times I tried, but I wanted to kill myself everytime I went through it, and it made the 7th one look like the 1st Special Stage in Sonic 1.

#38 User is offline Modern 

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:04 PM

• what tu hecc is modern!
https://www.youtube....3BTaWsMwOGJDoGQ Beatz here seems to be uploading small spriteswaps for mania en-masse. Let's see where this leads...

#39 User is offline RibShark 

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:47 PM

View PostModern, on 29 August 2017 - 08:04 PM, said:

https://www.youtube....3BTaWsMwOGJDoGQ Beatz here seems to be uploading small spriteswaps for mania en-masse. Let's see where this leads...

I've taken a look at his EXEs. All he is doing is replacing which sprite file the game is searching for by, for example, changing "Players/Sonic.bin" to "Players/ChibiSonic.bin" in the EXE. He actually had to blank the following entry "Players/SuperSonic.bin", to fit the new string in, so chances are the game will crash if the player transforms.

#40 User is offline Chimera 

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:50 PM

• I'm not a furry.
  • Project:Castlevania prettyness
  • Wiki edits:5

View PostRibShark, on 29 August 2017 - 05:17 PM, said:

I found this:
Spoiler

Add "devMenu=1" to the "[Game]" section of Settings.ini, then press ESC in game.

EDIT: Oh my god what did i do:
Spoiler

yea aight this is p. huge. Excellent find, don't know how you did that outside thinking it'll work... a bit surprised it did :V

I figured since the EXE probably isn't encrypted and it's looking for strings in the ini file, that "devMenu" would be in the EXE somewhere (is that how you found it, looking for "dev?"). Figured there'd probably more stuff hidden in "game" that'd be discoverable that way.

Didn't find much, buuut...

Spoiler

Seems there's likelihood for a "mod loader" to work after all, at last a fan one :^)

#41 User is offline RibShark 

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:06 PM

View PostChimera, on 29 August 2017 - 09:50 PM, said:

yea aight this is p. huge. Excellent find, don't know how you did that outside thinking it'll work... a bit surprised it did :V

I figured since the EXE probably isn't encrypted and it's looking for strings in the ini file, that "devMenu" would be in the EXE somewhere (is that how you found it, looking for "dev?"). Figured there'd probably more stuff hidden in "game" that'd be discoverable that way.

Didn't find much, buuut...

Spoiler

Seems there's likelihood for a "mod loader" to work after all, at last a fan one :^)

I used IDA and Hex-Rays on the EXE, and it actually produced readable code (I thought Denuvo was meant to protect that, but whatever). There's another option for data file in the Settings.ini, yeah, but a better way to make a modloader in my opinion would be to make the game load them unpacked from a folder. I've managed to get Sonic CD to do that before, so if Denuvo doesn't get in the way it should be fairly easy.

#42 User is offline Chimera 

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:17 PM

• I'm not a furry.
  • Project:Castlevania prettyness
  • Wiki edits:5
I THOUGHT the game would be able to read from folder! Do you know if "dataFile" is a toggle or a datapath? If it's a datapath then it might not prove to be that useful for us, and since you've already done this with Sonic CD, we should be in the clear either way. However, if it's a toggle, it might be an in-engine method of loading from folders instead of from the datafile. From what it sounds, though, you seem to be saying it's closer to the former.
EDIT: confirmed it's a string. Loads by setting:

dataFile="[name].rsdk"

in the Game section. Like you said, if we can load via folders, this option's pretty much useless to us, so let's hope we can do that. Else, if somehow things go wrong, we have this.

Honestly, I feel like Tax's implementation of Denuvo was lax at best, simply utilizing it because SEGA said they want it for DRM / antipiracy. I'm pretty sure they exclusively used the always online feature (which honestly is probably still crackable via the "storm.api" exploit...), so you might be in the clear. Best of luck!

I'll update the front page soon with what we have so far.
This post has been edited by Chimera: 29 August 2017 - 10:24 PM

#43 User is offline Turbohog 

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:50 PM

• Wiki edits:22
I believe the "always online" feature was included by mistake - at least that's what Sega is saying right now. I'm confident the DRM will be cracked though.

#44 User is offline InvisibleUp 

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:08 PM

• Project:None
I managed to extract the .rsdk using Retrun-Sonic in Sonic 1 mode. There's a whole bunch of ogg files (using .bin extensions), but I can't make heads or tails of anything else in there.

EDIT: Oh, wait, Qjimbo beat me to the punch. Trash this please.
This post has been edited by InvisibleUp: 29 August 2017 - 11:12 PM

#45 User is offline Frostav 

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:21 PM

I find it quite odd that swapping Tails for Sonic makes him have Tails'...well, tails. Does that mean they're seperate sprites from Tails' own body?

Also, in that hack video when flying Sonic has the Sonic CD wheel-o'-feet animation, but I don't ever remember seeing that when I played through Mania. When is that used?
This post has been edited by Frostav: 29 August 2017 - 11:22 PM

• 47 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users