Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - WARNING, SPOILERS - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 43 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - WARNING, SPOILERS Mighty and Ray Are Back In Town

#631 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted Yesterday, 07:38 AM

• Wiki edits:18
Spoiler

By the way, I hope they remove the flash that occurs when the Heavy Gunner grabs the missile launcher. It just feels like a weird shortcut to avoid having to animate the grab (like those that make the ending look worse than it should).
This post has been edited by ICEknight: Yesterday, 07:51 AM

#632 User is offline Spanner 

Posted Yesterday, 11:16 AM

• Sonic Hacking Contest Organiser
  • Project:Sonic Hacking Contest
  • Wiki edits:2,193
I mentioned this before in this thread but didn't make a video to show what I thought would be good if this was done...
Spoiler

#633 User is offline Laughingcow 

Posted Yesterday, 11:26 AM

View PostNeo, on Yesterday, 05:47 AM, said:

It's not cheating if you're just running the code that's in the game. Also: rude.

And that is why I don't respect speedrunning.

#634 User is offline kyasarintsu 

Posted Yesterday, 11:35 AM

I'm pretty disappointed that so many skips haven't been patched. I swear, in 90% of cases it's actually as simple as just adding more invisible collision blocks to prevent players from getting over parts of the map.
There better be a leaderboard reset.
This post has been edited by kyasarintsu: Yesterday, 11:35 AM

#635 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted Yesterday, 12:35 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

View Postkyasarintsu, on Yesterday, 11:35 AM, said:

I'm pretty disappointed that so many skips haven't been patched. I swear, in 90% of cases it's actually as simple as just adding more invisible collision blocks to prevent players from getting over parts of the map.
There better be a leaderboard reset.

I'm almost positive that's going to be the case

Spoiler

Hopefully they took a good look at DSS's glitch videos and sought out fixes to those.

#636 User is offline Overlord 

Posted Yesterday, 05:53 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Oh my god I can't go away for 3 days without something happening, can I?

Edited the thread title to include a spoiler warning.

Back on topic: People complaining about bugs being patched simply for the sake of being able to exploit them for speedrunning are just whining because the game's problems are being fixed. Find new bugs to exploit, the rest of us would much rather have a more solid game.

#637 User is offline rata 

Posted Yesterday, 07:31 PM

• Project:Trying to be useful somehow.
Pretty much the same happen in an incremental game, Kittens Game, where there was a bug that let you have infinite resources insted of having a storage cap for them. When the beta with that bug fix apeared, the whine storm and tears waves flooded the subreddit.

Just cheaters wanting to feel better while doing things wrong instead of just not doing it in first place.

#638 User is offline WAC 

Posted Yesterday, 11:05 PM

• Don't self-hate.
  • Project:???
  • Wiki edits:2
Exploits can be fun, but I'd much rather see bugs patched out. I prefer not needing to break a game's engine just to be competitive at speedrunning it.

#639 User is offline Supakitsune 

Posted Today, 12:05 AM

• "R" is it.
  • Wiki edits:7
Yelling "cheater cheater pumpkin eater" at speedrunners is amusing to watch but ultimately unhelpful. Skips that are there and require genuine skill rather than luck to use are gonna get used. It's not cheating when the tech is accessible to all who choose to learn it.

That said, games get patched and skips get removed. Speedrunning is a show of skill, and adapting to reasonable amounts of change is a skill too. IMO, the skips that involve getting an abnormally high jump/boost are reasonable to see patched, because you're explicitly leaving the game area, and usually using that to completely fly over sections of and/or the entirety of a level. It's more than just a little ridiculous, and it's not a particularly interesting to watch in a speedrul either. There's a reason you usually don't see people crowding around to watch, say, a 100% run of Super Mario World where the player cape-flies over every outdoor level in the game, compared to a run that features strong movement tech.
This, again, isn't to say I consider it cheating in any way, just that I find it uninteresting to watch in speedrunning streams/videos.

The one thing that does bug me is the fact that the patch seems to have intentionally made one tedious boss even more tedious.
Spoiler

Which, speaking of that zone...

View PostSpanner, on Yesterday, 11:16 AM, said:

I mentioned this before in this thread but didn't make a video to show what I thought would be good if this was done...
Spoiler
I gotta be real, I'm not too into it. It's way too intense for a scene like that. It definitely feels as though it's missing something with just the thunder sound effects though.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Supakitsune: Today, 12:12 AM

#640 User is offline Fadaway 

Posted Today, 12:20 AM

I love you all. A suggestion: monologues aren't needed right now. My opinion entirely.

#641 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted Today, 02:15 AM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
Question, was it mentioned if the original metal sonic boss fight is going to be completely replaced in such a way as that we would never be able to play it again ? Or will there be options to play? Cause it would be kind of sad to see it vanish completely.

#642 User is offline Chebghobbi 

Posted 49 minutes ago

• Wiki edits:4
Just watched a clip including the HCZ to MSZ transition. Not impressed, I was hoping it would involve Sonic and Tails meeting Knuckles and catching the Tornado together.

#643 User is offline Naean 

Posted 32 minutes ago

• Home-based artist with an affinity for finely detailed pen drawings.
  • Project:Sonic 5 (Sonic 3 & Knuckles Sequel)
  • Wiki edits:24

View PostChebghobbi, on 49 minutes ago, said:

Just watched a clip including the HCZ to MSZ transition. Not impressed, I was hoping it would involve Sonic and Tails meeting Knuckles and catching the Tornado together.

Considering that this cutscene in particular is unskippable (But the other cutscenes are skippable.), as well as the fact that the cutscene feels unfinished, points towards the transition not being complete in this build of the update.

#644 User is offline Narstyle 

Posted 32 minutes ago

• Project:VR Developer

View PostChebghobbi, on 49 minutes ago, said:

That's probably because it isn't finished / completed yet. Remember this is a leak, and in an ideal world, wouldn't have been seen by any of us until it was all ready.

EDIT: On a completely off-topic question; any reason these spoiler tags aren't working for me? As in, I can't "un-spoiler" them so I'm having to click quote and read each post individually. x_x
This post has been edited by Narstyle: 31 minutes ago

#645 User is offline Flygon 

Posted 17 minutes ago

• Dem Melons
  • Project:SMS RPG script
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostNarstyle, on 32 minutes ago, said:

That's probably because it isn't finished / completed yet. Remember this is a leak, and in an ideal world, wouldn't have been seen by any of us until it was all ready.

EDIT: On a completely off-topic question; any reason these spoiler tags aren't working for me? As in, I can't "un-spoiler" them so I'm having to click quote and read each post individually. x_x

Got javascript enabled?

I've had it disabled around Sonic Retro because of their April Fools pranks in the past. Maybe you've disabled it.

• 43 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

7 User(s) are reading this topic
2 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Member: Phoebius,
  2. Member: ApocalypticSalad