Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Utopia - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 12 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Utopia An experimental 3D Sonic fan game.

#166 User is offline Technidecimal 

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:06 PM

• Future Game Developer (Hopefully)
Wow! Everything looks great, from the demo on the first page to the latest concept art! I hope this project goes well for you guys!

As for Green Hill Zone, I'm all for it! Sure, it's been used over and over, but has it been done in the Sonic Utopia way? I don't think you'll get many complaints as long as you find some way to make this Green Hill Zone your Green Hill Zone. But that's just my opinion.

Also, I love that you're creating new zones! It shows that you're really putting effort and care into this project instead of trying to use Sonic as a step stool to fame.

Anyway, good luck!

#167 User is offline JucieBX 

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:41 AM

• Project:Just Mad Gamers
The Concept art is looking awesome. Also raising questions for the story that i can't wait to see answered:
Like:

- Is this stage like a residential district of sorts? (It looks like one)
- If so, why is there an eggman statue in the middle of it? Did he take it over?
- Is the stage about just getting to the goal or are you liberating these people for eggman's tyrannical rule?
- etc...

I love it and can't wait to see more.
I hope you guys had a great holiday break and it's great to see you guys back!!!

#168 User is offline Starturbo 

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:13 AM

• Project:Superstar Technic, Turbodrive
This is easily the best 3D Sonic fan game I've played. Can't wait to see more!

#169 User is offline Deef 

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:28 AM

Haven't checked in here for a while.

View PostJucieBX, on 14 November 2016 - 08:51 AM, said:

I think I like the ability to roll and unroll as I please. It gives me, the player, MORE control over sonic.
Not dissing your personal preference, just remarking on the way this sentence seems to encourage the misconception that more control = better.

Not being able to control sonic and letting him go on a joyride was a thing I felt should be changed from the classics.
This is quite a key element of the classics' play to dislike. Personally I don't think the classics would have had such lasting appeal if every moment of rolling sat in the player's mind as "option" rather than "joyride". Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 both have unroll-on-demand, but it's a bit of an unfair comparison I know... their levels are nowhere near as playful as the classics' either way. But I always saw that as an unfortunate change, and suspected it was because the game & level designers for SA 1 & 2 saw early on that it would be much easier to build a 3D level that didn't have to complement rolling.

There are to many times, in the classics, where i roll down a hill to gain momentum and level out to lose momentum cuz I'm still in a ball. I have to jump out which make me lose more momentum.
No disrespect to how you prefer to play or anything, but what you've described here is exactly the point. "I've taken advantage of the roll, now how do I get back in control?" is in my opinion probably the best way depth unfolds in the classics. When there is opportunity to roll, new players are going to mess up its exit a lot. But the more you play, the more this decision-making enters the gameplay: "Would it be worth rolling/spin-dashing here?", "Do I want to trade explore-able junctions for speed and protection?", "Now that I'm rolling can I find a good exit tactic? Can I react to it just right?", and "Will I get a free exit, or air, out of this?"

If the player can unroll on demand the answer to all of the above is "It doesn't matter". Having to frequently and quickly decide which of two choices means more to you is, in my opinion, a long way of saying "gameplay". Also, those questions are all things we gradually get better at reading and at playing, which means they contain one of the game's methods of letting the player feel good over time about getting better at something.

If you make those questions no longer matter, that chunk of stuff is all deleted. And the only payoff you get is ease. It sells easier for sure, but it burns out sooner. All that on-the-fly decision making gets converted to a rather playless algorithm that sits in the player's mind: "If I can roll, roll always. I'll just unroll whenever." I think it's a pretty straightforward sacrifice of depth.

The more control and influence you have over the character, the less likely you are to blame the game for anything that happens because it was outside of you control.
This again suggests the simplification that reduced control = bad. I find that control-related frustration in games is an issue of crappy controls; in particular, inconsistency. I don't think it's an issue of reduced/restrained control that is otherwise solid. That kind of thing is core to many games. So if we're finding that tight, consistent, but reduced control is causing frustration, I believe the frustration is coming from expectations, not the control itself. Setting those expectations could still well be the game's fault, but for me at least I don't think the classics set that expectation in a wrong way.

Sorry to get a bit rambley there and again no disrespect to how you'd prefer to play the games. Just felt like saying what I liked about classic rolling.
This post has been edited by Deef: 02 February 2017 - 12:37 AM

#170 User is offline Deef 

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:43 AM

I like the abundance of nature still present in that concept art, and the old-school Robotnik. I've got a thing for hexagons too for some reason. :D

#171 User is offline NickonAquaMagna 

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:28 PM

What I loved about that Labyrinth area was how it it just sorta felt like a normal cave at first, then looked more like Labyrinth as you went in. I think the next stage could do something similar, but on a bigger scale. Say the beginning of the level is just a plain ol' cave, with pools of water and rocks hanging from the ceiling. Then you start seeing signs of people inside, torches and markings on the walls. The further you go, the more civilized it is, like you've entered through the secret back door of a stronghold, until it's like you're in a straight up castle. Heck, ending the stage with a spring at the bottom of a well or something that shoots you above ground with the goal post on the edge of a cliff with a crumbling throne, that sort of imagery would be epic.

#172 User is offline MaskedMage 

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:35 AM

Just gorgeous. Every 3d Sonic had to be like Utopia in the first place!
Furthemore, I know it is not a final result, but I also love GFX in early demo. This is a proof that even low-polygon models like platforms, stones, cliffs etc. may find their place nowadays, provided it's well executed. I also love that you can measure the speed according to the sound of Sonic's footsteps.
This has a very great potential. Can't wait for the next demo or even full version. Keep up the good work!

#173 User is offline FredJMcGillicuty 

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:31 PM

This is truly fantastic!

I downloaded the demo a while ago,and I've been playing it every chance I can get, and I have to say, this is the best 3D Sonic game I have ever played! Well done, Mr. Lange!

Also, anymore updates on the progress of it? I'm really pumped for this game! Great job guys!

#174 User is offline Mr Lange 

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:21 PM

• A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys.
  • Project:Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
  • Wiki edits:1
We're making steady progress. I'm thinking of making an update video showing off improvements and new things added to the engine once we've got key things done for it, and we're well on our way.
It's gonna be a while before I post anything about the new level itself.

#175 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:01 PM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
Yes! You better keep us posted man !

• 12 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users