Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Introduction to Hex - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Introduction to Hex

#16 User is offline Guardian 

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:14 AM

• Project:Sonic & Mario
Thanks for the info Tweaker. Every little bit helps. I'm using an hex editor, and I still find it to be confusing and quite difficult to use sometimes. I'm trying to figure out how to use a compress file back into a bin rom file. I tend to try and not ask for help, and somehow try to do this on my own. If so, the replies will be hostile and the usual replay, "do it yourself you lazy ass".

#17 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:25 AM

Guardian, on Feb 7 2006, 02:14 AM, said:

Thanks for the info Tweaker. Every little bit helps. I'm using an hex editor, and I still find it to be confusing and quite difficult to use sometimes. I'm trying to figure out how to use a compress file back into a bin rom file. I tend to try and not ask for help, and somehow try to do this on my own. If so, the replies will be hostile and the usual replay, "do it yourself you lazy ass".

You talking about Rika's reply? He's irritable like that. Ignore him. :P

Compressing? Pretty much all you need to do is insert an offset into the decompressor program (TSDC preferred, but Esrael has a set of decompressors as well) and click decompress to an output file of your choice. Then you simply edit the data, and grab the compressor. Compress the file you decompressed and edited before to a new file (try your old filename, with an _c after it. Like, if your old file was HUD.bin, try HUD_c.bin). Take the data in this new file and tack it at the end of the ROM, then change the pointer to the data. If you don't know where the pointer is, look up the offset of the data in the form of an extended longword -- 00 00 00 00. Like I mentioned in this tutorial, if your offset of $12345, then run a search on 00 01 23 45 and modify that to point to the new offset of your data.

Hope that helped. :)
This post has been edited by Tweaker: 07 February 2006 - 09:25 AM

#18 User is offline The Mighty Boosh 

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:03 AM

• Stupid like a FOX!
An infinitely useful topic if you're trying to work out how to edit compressed art.

http://forums.sonicr...?showtopic=3446

#19 User is offline Guardian 

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:43 PM

• Project:Sonic & Mario
Thank you everyone for this important info. If I have any questions, I'll ask. Again, thanks.

#20 User is offline Gibbo 

Posted 18 December 2006 - 04:34 PM

• Eggman, Deserving a Game since 1991.
  • Project:Learning how to use Game Maker
I know I'm gravedigging, but I thought it would save making a new topic for a quick problem. I'm only just learning hex and I'm using the compressed art tutorial above. I think I understand about Pointers, and I've edited the Signpost art to what I wanted, now putting it back into the game via hex workshop, I know how to add the new art at the end of the rom using the compressed bin file, but when I search for the signpost pointer to change I find it, but... http://img20.imagesh...979/helpig0.png I don't know how to change the pointer 0001D978 to the pointer for the new signpost 00080000. I'm making myself sound like a turd but I would appreciate the help.

#21 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:35 AM

Erm... You type it in, dude. You go to where "00 01 D9 78" starts and make sure it reads "00 08 00 00" afterwards, which you can do by using your keyboard to overwrite the values.

If it keeps trying to insert instead of overwrite, hit the insert button first to see if that helps anything.

#22 User is online Neo 

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:47 AM

• Clackerjack
  • Project:Sonic 3 Unlocked
  • Wiki edits:1
Actually, looking at his screenshot, it seems to me like he's trying to edit the offset, rather than the pointer. So yeah. lol.

You have to do a search for instances of the address, not go to the offset itself. Do a search for 0001D978 and replace it with 00080000. If you did add the new compressed data to 00080000, it should work.

#23 User is offline Gibbo 

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:55 AM

• Eggman, Deserving a Game since 1991.
  • Project:Learning how to use Game Maker
But I can't actually click on the text where the pointer is shown and change it. I tried changing 051B to 803A what the new art data started with but it didn't load in the emulator. Its probably very simple but I'm not seeing it right.

#24 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:59 AM

View PostGibbo, on Dec 19 2006, 11:55 AM, said:

But I can't actually click on the text where the pointer is shown and change it. I tried changing 051B to 803A what the new art data started with but it didn't load in the emulator. Its probably very simple but I'm not seeing it right.

OH, nonononono.

Hit ctrl+F, and search for 0001D978. Click "from beginning" and "find all instances." Then, click on the results in the results menu (at the right), and, at those highlighted offsets in the main editor window, replace them with "00 08 00 00" (assuming you have the view set up like that -- in your case, I believe it would be "0800 0000.")

Seriously, I don't know how I could explain this any better. You do NOT edit the data - only the pointer.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users