Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Utopia - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 16 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Utopia An experimental 3D Sonic fan game.

#211 User is offline Meezoo 

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:27 AM

I have a theory as to why the emeralds were never a consistent shape. Each time Sonic is done using them, they warp back to their dimension like they did in Sonic 1's good ending. Each time they warp back to their dimension, they take on a different shape. Most of the time it's the modern diamond shape, but on some occasions they'll take on their classic octagon shape. In the case of 3D Blast on the Genesis, they were cough drops. I doubt that would be the canon explanation, but it's the only reason I can think of.

On the topic of Sonic Utopia, I definitely look forward to seeing more of it! It's easily the best translation of classic Sonic mechanics in 3D from what I've seen. I look forward to seeing what improvements will be made in the next demo.
This post has been edited by Meezoo: 28 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

#212 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:03 PM

• Project:Too many of them
Are you really discussing why emeralds had a different shape in each game? The keyword is CHAOS. And I don't really like the shape that became standard for modern games; having that shape made it easier to draw a good emerald altar in hidden palace, and matched the emerald- like things in sonic 2 HPZ, but a less standard and ever changing shape was the best for them, even if they were as simple as the ones in Sonic Chaos.

#213 User is offline Covarr 

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:20 PM

• Sentient Cash Register
  • Wiki edits:1
Or, and hear me out here, what if they're the same shape viewed from different angles, and any inconsistencies beyond that are a matter of an individual game's art style? I could definitely see the sonic 1/2 emeralds as a top-down view of the style we typically see these days.

#214 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:51 PM

Standard chaos emeralds from Sonic 3 say no to that right away, an the previous ones hardly admit that theory btween both sets. Super emeralds work in a different way, so I'll say nothing about those, but 8-bit games Sonic 2 onwards get different shapes as well, and, while those aren't the main games, the fact that they change their shape too gives an indicative as which is the trend. I'd worry more about why special stages aren't as chaotic and as in Sonic 1, given they're still "outer-dimensional".

#215 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:58 PM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL
This is the point at which I say "they're all different sets of emeralds". :v:

#216 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:10 PM

Well, I like to keep them a single set considering the plot of the main trilogy, the existence of time stones which are another magic jewel set, and the identity they get as being unique instead of some kind of plain natural resource that happens to behave like a battery. But how many times can you change the emeralds' location and shape? Lots of sets would make it easier, indeed.

#217 User is offline WAC 

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:37 PM

• Wiki edits:2
I personally prefer the idea of just making each chaos emerald have a unique shape.

Posted Image

#218 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:53 PM

• Wiki edits:6
The Emeralds in Mania all have the same shape though... that picture just cleverly shows them all at different angles, so you get their classic 'hexagonal cut' design from above and their modern 'brilliant cut' design from the side.

#219 User is offline Jaxer 

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:25 AM

Do you currently have any plans for boss battles? I think that it's safe to assume that they're more interesting than the battles in Flickies' Island, but more functional than the battles in the Adventure games. I know I shouldn't tell you how to make your game, and this is just a suggestion, but one boss fight I would certainly like to see is the scrapped Endless Loop Trap final boss from the cancelled Sonic Mars, with you constantly chasing after Robotnik.
This post has been edited by Jaxer: 14 October 2017 - 11:53 AM

#220 User is offline Murasaki Fox 

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:10 PM

View PostJaxer, on 14 October 2017 - 05:25 AM, said:

Do you currently have any plans for boss battles? I think that it's safe to assume that they're more interesting than the battles in Flickies' Island, but more functional than the battles in the Adventure games. I know I shouldn't tell you how to make your game, and this is just a suggestion, but one boss fight I would certainly like to see is the scrapped Endless Loop Trap final boss from the cancelled Sonic Mars, with you constantly chasing after Robotnik.

Yes, they are something we would like to include. We haven't been working on it quite yet since I've been busy with the rest of the gameplay framework, but I have been contemplating the handling of game states and such for some time now. Some of Unity's new features make it much, much easier to manage complex encounters like this while avoiding potentially game-breaking bugs. Perhaps such potential bugs aren't too big a worry, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist. xD

#221 User is offline Axion 

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

I absolutely love the physics in this rendition of Sonic. You've recaptured that classic gameplay style of micro-rewards and micro-failures, so I just want to pop in and say "well done" first of all, but secondly I want to comment on difficulty in the Sonic franchise in relation to this game. Sonic is a game series where the core gameplay mechanic makes it tricky to balance difficulty. The basic difficulty lies in managing Sonic's speed and momentum to clear obstacles and achieve a good score by the end from keeping on a quicker path. Later levels have to ramp up the difficulty without interfering with that core mechanic, for example; you can't just throw random obstacles in the way of Sonic. Well, you can, but you end up with zones that are more divisive in the fanbase. Enemy, trap, and puzzle placement requires a lot more care and thought than it would in, say, a Mario game with a one tier gameplay mechanic.

The open plan of the demo is perfect for getting that free flying experimental speedrun feel of the classic Green Hill and translating it into 3D in such a way that you're doing much more exploring at the same time, taking it to the next level. (As has been suggested) Later levels might get more difficult by creating narrower paths where you have to, say, for example, use momentum inside some area to go up a wall and dodge some blades. Another alternative that keeps the open plan would be to have harder levels contain enemies that are able to keep pace with Sonic more easily. As you get more difficult zones, you need to make the enemies harder to avoid easily, as is the case in open 3D, and you can't just compensate by covering them all in spikes and filling the screen with them, so you have to increase their "interactivity" instead.

Say you have some flying enemy that appears and flies ahead of Sonic (imagine the firefly/hotaru enemies from Stardust Speedway) and because Sonic is "the fastest thing alive" tee em, you should choose the right path to pick up enough speed to get past it/hit it. Traps that fire stuff at you could also get good play, versus stuff that puts you in a narrow corridor to wait for them, or takes things out of your control in some way. You could always have something flat out chase you from behind as well, but then you'd probably need some sort of rear view button, so maybe that's a bit far. Traps like bottomless (or at least lethal) pits will work better in 3D than in 2D, because you can see very far in front of you, so some things that might be considered annoying "artificial difficulty" in 2D function well in 3D. Anything that maintains the integrity of the mechanics for the whole experience is a valid idea.

Hope I'm not being disrespectful, by the way. Just wanted to share some thoughts on design philosophy because I'm very excited about this project. Keep up the good work!

#222 User is offline WhoWhatWhenWhale 

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:57 PM

I remember a few of you devs mentioning a while back that the controls and general physics have been tweaked slightly, and while playing the Utopia demo I noticed a similarity between the way physics works in it and an opensource engine called HedgePhysics. They both have this weird quirk when rolling that makes slopes have little to no effect on your momentum when no input keys are pressed, which leads to the rolling feeling like it has no thrust. My question is: Has this been fixed since the demo? If so, how did you guys fix it? I ask since it is weird but interesting to me that two completely different engines have the exact same problem.

#223 User is offline Murasaki Fox 

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:58 AM

View PostWhoWhatWhenWhale, on 02 November 2017 - 11:57 PM, said:

I remember a few of you devs mentioning a while back that the controls and general physics have been tweaked slightly, and while playing the Utopia demo I noticed a similarity between the way physics works in it and an opensource engine called HedgePhysics. They both have this weird quirk when rolling that makes slopes have little to no effect on your momentum when no input keys are pressed, which leads to the rolling feeling like it has no thrust. My question is: Has this been fixed since the demo? If so, how did you guys fix it? I ask since it is weird but interesting to me that two completely different engines have the exact same problem.

It has to do with how the system interprets input. Zero input basically means, "I want zero motion", and I imagine this is why it happens in Hedge Physics too.
This has been fixed in Utopia, along with many other quirks. There's actually been some pretty major changes to all the physics over the past year, and more to come as I refine the overall framework.

#224 User is offline Mr Lange 

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:58 AM

• A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys.
  • Project:Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
  • Wiki edits:1
https://twitter.com/...424461441527808
Character art of Sonic by tripplejaz:

Posted Image

#225 User is offline Iceman404 

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:24 AM

• Almost 10 years of trial membership
  • Wiki edits:3
Are the physics and controls for not moving extremely fast being tweaked? Utopia controls pretty fantastic for physics and momentum play at high speed, but I feel it'd be better if things scaled down when moving slowly. A complaint I almost immediately had was that it just didn't feel tight enough when trying to walk and straight up platform, all my turns and movements felt really 'gradiented' into smooth curves I didn't want. Turning in the air actually steers you rather than just changing angle and slightly influencing your momentum if you keep holding it (all this on top of Sonic's classic low acceleration is too much for me). I feel like mapping for this can only be limited to big sections and pieces of land rather than really intricate and tight level design that requires more precision; that stuff helps break up the gameplay.

• 16 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

14 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users