Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Analogue Mega Sg (FPGA Genesis/MD; April 2019) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Analogue Mega Sg (FPGA Genesis/MD; April 2019) Sega CD Support, adapters for SMS, SG-1000, & GG

#1 User is offline Jason 

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:50 AM

• *Results not lab tested.

https://arstechnica....th-the-mega-sg/
It's happening! We've got a sub-$200 FPGA Genesis, with expansion port for Sega CD, and $10 cartridge adapters for Master System/Mark III, SG-1000, and Game Gear. 32X support is still being worked on, but this is looking to be the nigh-all-encompassing solution for pre-Saturn Sega goodness in the HD age.
This post has been edited by Jason: 17 October 2018 - 10:32 AM

#2 User is offline Kono Mike da! 

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:17 PM

• Noodle Limbs
  • Project:Sonic Millenium: God help us all.
Oh man, this is great. Definitely going to get this.

#3 User is offline CollectiveWater 

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:31 PM

Very cool. I like the design of the system itself, especially the JP color variant.

The most exciting part to me is honestly the 8BitDo M30 controller. I like that they changed the contours on the top and bottom and added shoulder buttons. Kinda looks like a hybrid of the Genesis and Saturn Model 2/JP controller.

Very curious to see how it compares to Saturn pads. My guess is it will feel better than original Genesis/Mega Drive controllers (both 3 button and 6 button ones), but not quite as good as original Saturn Model 2/JP controllers.

(That said, I've seen quite a few complaints about the d-pad for their SN30 controller. I use original SNES pads with my Super Nt so I haven't tried the SN30 out myself. Hopefully there aren't any similar quality issues with the M30. Definitely picking one up since the Genesis/MD controller--both the 3 button and 6 button--is hard to go back to, especially compared to the Saturn pad which is the best game controller ever made for 2D games. But I still have some 6 button Genesis pads in good condition so if the M30 ends up being a bust I'll at least have a decent, authentic option.)

I do also wonder how far off we are from an FPGA retro system that is able to output at 4K resolution at the same $189 price point. Kevtris has said it isn't commercially viable yet, and that certainly seems to be the case. But I would assume costs will come down over time, and that it could be viable in 5-10 years. That's a long enough time to have to wait that I'm still definitely getting a Mega Sg now, but once they come out with new models of the Super Nt and Mega Sg that have new hardware that enables 4K video output, that'll be the be-all-end-all for playing 8 and 16 bit games in HD resolution since the resolution those games run at will scale better to 4K than they do to 1080p. Looking forward to when that day comes!

#4 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 16 October 2018 - 04:56 PM

• Wiki edits:18
Doesn't look so accurate when it's missing some borders on the sides.

EDIT: For reference:

Also, it seems to be missing those moving dots in the lower border?
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 16 October 2018 - 05:21 PM

#5 User is offline WAC 

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:53 PM

• Wiki edits:2
WANT! WANT! WANT! WANT! WANT!
Since I've never owned a Sega system in my life, this is my perfect opportunity to finally get one. Initially I was going to get a Sega Genesis as a child in 1998, but I was told at the Best Buy that the console was discontinued. ;_; Sega's support for PC in the mid to late '90s made up for it though, which caused me to lose interest in the system.

#6 User is offline Josh 

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:57 PM

• TGC Warrior
  • Wiki edits:1
It's been pretty fun seeing journalists unfamiliar with Sega trying to report on this thing. I've seen multiple outlets refer to the original system simply as a "Sega," and Kotaku claimed that it would play, "Genesis, Mega Drive, and Master Drive" games.

#7 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:02 PM

• Wiki edits:6
I wish they'd show a picture with the Sega CD connected. I want to see how weird it looks given the size difference.

#8 User is offline King 

Posted 17 October 2018 - 06:24 AM

Pre-ordered this as soon as I heard about it and their site came back up. Also pre-ordered 2 of the wireless 8Bitdo M30 controllers - I can't wait! //forums.sonicretro.org/public/style_emoticons/default/v.png

#9 User is offline Ashura96 

Posted 17 October 2018 - 08:10 AM

• FUTURE 2222
  • Wiki edits:6

View PostICEknight, on 16 October 2018 - 04:56 PM, said:

Why would you want overscan borders when you will have multiple resolution options on the system itself?

#10 User is offline Jason 

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:30 AM

• *Results not lab tested.
Well, the reference footage uses the slightly horizontally-squished NTSC aspect ratio. I imagine that can be toggled on or off, but I suppose for pure authenticity, Having the full border and DMA garbage adds to it.

Website's still down, but here's more reference footage from their YouTube channel:

This post has been edited by Jason: 17 October 2018 - 10:35 AM

#11 User is offline CollectiveWater 

Posted 17 October 2018 - 01:46 PM

View Postsonicblur, on 16 October 2018 - 09:02 PM, said:

I wish they'd show a picture with the Sega CD connected. I want to see how weird it looks given the size difference.

It'll look pretty tiny on top of a Model 1 Sega CD, but I think it'll probably look pretty good proportionally on top of a Model 2 Sega CD, like the Model 2 Genesis does.

The Mega Sg is 168 mm wide, 138 mm long, and 47 mm high. The Genesis Model 2 is 220 mm wide, 210 mm long, and 60 mm high.

(The Genesis Model 1 is 280 mm wide, 215 mm long, and 57 mm high.)

So the Mega Sg is obviously quite a bit smaller than both models of the original Genesis/MD, but it's closer in size to the Model 2, especially when it comes to its width. Therefore I think it'll look better with the Sega CD Model 2 than it will the Model 1, especially if you align the front of the Mega Sg along the front of the Model 2 Sega CD (which will leave a decent amount of space for the back-left side of the complete Mega Sg+Sega CD Model 2 unit, but that's fine since it won't be visible from the front and having that space will actually be good for cord management).

Can't wait until Linneman and others get their hands on this and are able to give us their full impressions and comparisons. Can we fast-forward 5-10 years so we can just already have the updated hardware revision that enables 4K output, which will be the ultimate endpoint for enjoying 8 and 16 bit era games in HD? Exciting times ahead.

#12 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 17 October 2018 - 08:51 PM

• Project:Too many of them
I think I want this; having no money to pay for it it's the only thing that makes me doubt.

#13 User is offline Flygon 

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:31 AM

• Dem Melons
  • Project:SMSRPG
  • Wiki edits:10
I hope it's accurate enough. I never took the man making these things as being all that familiar with the Mega Drive community.

Anyone know if it can run Overdrive and Overdrive 2? I'm rather curious.

I hope it's smooth sailing, regardless. It's quite picky hardware to get running well.

Regardless, I'd like to grab one. Just a bit broke right now.
This post has been edited by Flygon: 18 October 2018 - 12:32 AM

#14 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:26 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostAshura96, on 17 October 2018 - 08:10 AM, said:

View PostICEknight, on 16 October 2018 - 04:56 PM, said:

Why would you want overscan borders when you will have multiple resolution options on the system itself?

"Why would you want" is irrelevant when we're speaking of accuracy.

#15 User is offline Diablohead 

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:05 AM

• Indie dev
  • Project:games
  • Wiki edits:16
most if not all modern tv's allow overscan adjustments like fit or full, so no real need for that frame any more. I understand why people would miss it hell it was even bigger in pal land, megadrive gaming back then felt like widescreen with the top and bottom bars being full fat.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users