Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge. - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 324 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge. The stuff that simply has no other home.

#4846 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted Today, 01:34 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostNeo, on Today, 03:14 AM, said:

View PostBlack Squirrel, on Yesterday, 02:46 PM, said:

Don't read too much into that Sonic CD title screen though

Look at the perspective on his ears. Most sprites/illustrations at the time stylized the ears by having one face directly forward and the other one directly backward. This one is a perfect match.
Yeah, it looks like they took a pic (or render?) of it and then cleaned it up and made his pupils thicker for some reason.

I wonder why they didn't use the same model for Sonic 2, seeing how this one's spines look so much better...

#4847 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted Today, 01:55 PM

• Project:Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition; Sonic Genesis Adventure (Let's see how long this lasts :V)
  • Wiki edits:10
Personally I always hated Sonic CD's title screen. I'm glad they made some modifications for that design.

#4848 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 48 minutes ago

• wikiman
  • Project:thinking of a better member title
  • Wiki edits:20,569

View PostNeo, on Today, 03:14 AM, said:

View PostBlack Squirrel, on Yesterday, 02:46 PM, said:

Don't read too much into that Sonic CD title screen though

Look at the perspective on his ears. Most sprites/illustrations at the time stylized the ears by having one face directly forward and the other one directly backward. This one is a perfect match.

"Don't read too much into that" being, "it's not a big deal" as opposed to "it didn't happen".

Though the work that it inspired ended up being more influencial.

#4849 User is offline Neo 

Posted 20 minutes ago

• Clackerjack
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 48 minutes ago, said:

"Don't read too much into that" being, "it's not a big deal" as opposed to "it didn't happen".

But it is a big deal in the case of the SCD title. It's nearly a 1:1 copy. Are you blind, or are you just covering your ears?

I don't recall reading that it influenced the 2D illustrations at all -- rather, they say the sculptures were a reference to how Sonic looks in 3D, so they could get the various angles in the game sprites right.

• 324 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Tech Member: MainMemory