Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge. - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 334 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge. The stuff that simply has no other home.

#4891 User is offline Neo 

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:35 PM

• Clackerjack
  • Project:Sonic 3 Unlocked
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 18 April 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

Some not-so-great magazine "scans" have turned up in the last 24 hours. Here's some prototype Sonic 2:

http://download.aban...20page%2014.jpg
(Supersonic, November 1992)

The article is not remotely interesting but those screenshots are really strange. The player has 56 lives by the time he/she reaches Oil Ocean Zone, and five screenshots from completely different levels have the ring counter set at 99.

Nobody is that good at Sonic 2.

My bet is a Game Genie code to freeze the ring count at 99, and thus a free life every stage just by grabbing a single ring. Going to and coming back from a special stage then resets it (I think) and boom, a shit ton of lives.

Why 99? Because it's the largest two-digit number.
This post has been edited by Neo: 18 April 2017 - 01:36 PM

#4892 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:18 PM

• wikiman
  • Project:thinking of a better member title
  • Wiki edits:20,569
The timing might be a bit tight on that - the Mega Drive Game Genie hadn't actually been released at the time of publication, while the Pro Action Replay had only been out for about six months. Possibly less in France.

I agree though - it's either some sort of cheat cartridge or a broken build of the game. Just unusual to see at this point in history.

#4893 User is online Adamis 

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:11 PM

• Gimme waffles!
  • Project:Lammy and "Fafnir"
  • Wiki edits:53
Oooh I used to have that magazine and watching those screenshots for hours, wanting the game so much ^^

#4894 User is offline doc eggfan 

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:01 AM

• bona fide games journalist
  • Project:GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
  • Wiki edits:2
Only just discovered The Laughing Salesman recently. Feel like he and Eggman were separated at birth - they have the same laugh (Classic Robotnik laugh from Sonic CD)

Posted Image

#4895 User is offline Uberham 

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:35 AM

• King Of Oblivion

View PostNeo, on 18 April 2017 - 01:35 PM, said:

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 18 April 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

Some not-so-great magazine "scans" have turned up in the last 24 hours. Here's some prototype Sonic 2:

http://download.aban...20page%2014.jpg
(Supersonic, November 1992)

The article is not remotely interesting but those screenshots are really strange. The player has 56 lives by the time he/she reaches Oil Ocean Zone, and five screenshots from completely different levels have the ring counter set at 99.

Nobody is that good at Sonic 2.

My bet is a Game Genie code to freeze the ring count at 99, and thus a free life every stage just by grabbing a single ring. Going to and coming back from a special stage then resets it (I think) and boom, a shit ton of lives.

Why 99? Because it's the largest two-digit number.

If your ring count was frozen at 99, it wouldn't give you an extra life for a ring, cos you'd still be at 99 rings.

Didn't one of the pirate versions give you 56 lives?

#4896 User is offline Neo 

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:46 AM

• Clackerjack
  • Project:Sonic 3 Unlocked
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostUberham, on 22 April 2017 - 08:35 AM, said:

If your ring count was frozen at 99, it wouldn't give you an extra life for a ring, cos you'd still be at 99 rings.

That's not how RAM freezing codes work.

#4897 User is offline Uberham 

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:48 AM

• King Of Oblivion

View PostNeo, on 22 April 2017 - 09:46 AM, said:

View PostUberham, on 22 April 2017 - 08:35 AM, said:

That's not how RAM freezing codes work.

Could've sworn that's how the game genie code works.

#4898 User is offline LocalH 

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:27 PM

• roxoring your soxors
  • Project:Guitar Hero II: Rhythm Games Community Edition aka Pizza Hero II: Electric Pizza
  • Wiki edits:3

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 06 April 2017 - 02:48 PM, said:

Although there's an ISO in the package that isn't playing nice - can't quite be bothered with that one right now.

It's not really an ISO, it's a HDD image (since Zip disks were pretty much treated like removable hard drives). It's a Mac-formatted disk image, HFSExplorer on Windows will open it, as will a number of Mac or Linux/BSD tools. They're in PSD format, although HFSExplorer is giving me fits trying to actually extract the files, so I don't know if they're layered or not, but if they are the PNGs should not have any appreciable loss other than that.

Edit: Got them to extract. They actually are layered. 7z'ing and uploading the raw PSDs now.

Edit2: Here they are. Didn't find anything else interesting in the disk image.
This post has been edited by LocalH: 23 April 2017 - 06:40 PM

#4899 User is offline Miles Wolf 

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:20 AM

• From Spain with love... And rings.
  • Project:www.sonicreikai.com
First4Figures sent the final design of their 25th anniversary statue and SEGA has approved it:

Posted Image

So maybe we won't have to wait much more until we see it (after almost two years since it got anounced lol).

Aaaand Reala incoming:

Posted Image

#4900 User is online Blue Blood 

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:24 AM

• Wiki edits:6
Has it really been two years? Bloody hell. All I can say is that it'll be worth the wait. We brainstormed a lot to get all the details right and make it something special. It's an incredibly cool statue. Alex Davis did an amazing job of bringing everything together.

#4901 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:52 PM

• wikiman
  • Project:thinking of a better member title
  • Wiki edits:20,569
The latest entry in "stupid things that need to be documented but will never be documented because there aren't enough volunteers and I don't want to do it"

Posted Image

Sega branded cake.

Posted Image

Sega branded instant noodles.

#4902 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:05 AM

• Probably part of some problem
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8
So this was just posed in the Rayman thread, but the J2ME version of Rayman Raving Rabbids developed by Gameloft looks an awful lot like a Sonic game, with a lot of elements from Sonic Rush:

So many elements from Sonic Rush that I can imagine this originally being a J2ME version of Sonic Rush that was cancelled and then repurposed into a Rayman game.
This post has been edited by TimmiT: 19 May 2017 - 07:06 AM

#4903 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:18 AM

• Project:Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition; Sonic Genesis Adventure (Let's see how long this lasts :V)
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostTimmiT, on 19 May 2017 - 07:05 AM, said:

So this was just posed in the Rayman thread, but the J2ME version of Rayman Raving Rabbids developed by Gameloft looks an awful lot like a Sonic game, with a lot of elements from Sonic Rush:

So many elements from Sonic Rush that I can imagine this originally being a J2ME version of Sonic Rush that was cancelled and then repurposed into a Rayman game.

Wow, rolling and loops. That had to have been a Sonic game at one point, otherwise it's just shameful how much it copies Sonic, particularly because Rayman already existed and had his own moves and powers.

#4904 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:22 AM

• Probably part of some problem
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8

View PostDark Sonic, on 19 May 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

Wow, rolling and loops. That had to have been a Sonic game at one point, otherwise it's just shameful how much it copies Sonic, particularly because Rayman already existed and had his own moves and powers.

Strange thing is, later levels do have more normal Rayman elements, on top of rolling and loops:

But especially in the earlier levels it looks like this might have been a Sonic game at some point.

#4905 User is offline LowSeasCaroz 

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:46 AM

• Project:Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
While the design elements are more or less copied from Sonic Rush, it looks a lot like the Java Mobile version of Sonic Unleashed, also made by Gameloft. It would make more sense if this version of Raving Rabbids came out after Unleashed (in that case Gameloft just reused that engine), but wasn't Raving Rabbids released in 2006? Unless the J2ME Raving Rabbids was supposed to coincide with the release of a later installment in the series (dunno which ones, Ubisoft made tons of these), then it's probably just a case of Gameloft's designers being Sonic Rush fans.
Can't blame em, it was 2006...

• 334 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Bing