Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 730 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) Developed by Christian Whitehead, Headcannon and PagodaWest

#10711 User is offline TheInvisibleSun 

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:29 PM

• OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST
  • Project:Sonic 1 Color Contrast
I honestly only use Blue Sphere to de-transform at this point.

#10712 User is offline Sid Starkiller 

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:36 PM

ProJared put Mania at #9 for 2017.

This post has been edited by Overlord: 13 January 2018 - 03:39 PM
Reason for edit: Use plain URL, remove s from https, don't use media tags

#10713 User is offline Felik 

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

• Wiki edits:1

View PostSid Starkiller, on 13 January 2018 - 03:36 PM, said:

ProJared put Mania at #9 for 2017.

He also put Doki Doki at #7 because these days being meta is apparently a substitute for substance.
This post has been edited by Felik: 13 January 2018 - 04:53 PM

#10714 User is offline 360 

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:23 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Steam sales are pretty respectable at almost 150K which is decent when you factor in the game's still at full price and all that Denuvo bullshit.

The game seems to be getting a torrent of accolades too following the glowing critical reception and we know from Sega Sammy's recent financial reports Mania's sales on console are extremely strong and in the multiple millions. Point is, surely this is enough to secure a Mania 2 or something similar particularly with Forces under performing both critically and commercially in comparison to Mania's insane success.

Hopefully the mystery surrounding "Project Plus" will be revealed soon too. Still predicting it's an enhanced re-release though obviously we're still waiting for news.

#10715 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:46 PM

• Wiki edits:18
"Sonic Mania plus Amy". =P

#10716 User is offline Lord Nero 

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:35 PM

• Resident Nintendo Hater.
  • Project:Let's Plays, Work and Animation.
I'm still holding out hope that it's the original pitch idea of the remasters collected together alongside a brand new game, only now that "brand new game" (Sonic Discovery) would be Sonic Mania obviously, call it Sonic Mania +
Throw in Sonic 3 & Knuckles remastered and make a physical version and I'm sold.

Don't take away my dreams.. :argh:

#10717 User is offline big smile 

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:21 AM

View PostLord Nero, on 13 January 2018 - 07:35 PM, said:

I'm still holding out hope that it's the original pitch idea of the remasters collected together alongside a brand new game, only now that "brand new game" (Sonic Discovery) would be Sonic Mania obviously, call it Sonic Mania +
Throw in Sonic 3 & Knuckles remastered and make a physical version and I'm sold.

Don't take away my dreams.. :argh:/>

I personally hope they release the remasters separately and not with the Plus edition. Reasons:
1) Sega could make more money that way (especially on Switch), which would hopefully increases budgets for future Mania Team titles.
2) Releasing them separately, would hopefully give more budget for new features. I'd love to see more 2P features in Sonic 1 & Sonic CD. That Sonic artbook showed that Sega has a lot of concept art for these titles in their vaults, so maybe the Mania Team could scan it all in and make it unlockable rewards for completing levels in the remasters.
3) They could release the remasters over 2018 & 2019, which would hopefully give them more time for a Mania sequel, especially if the remasters were ported by a third party (With the Mania team supervising).
Of course, I don't know much about how game development works, so some of these suggestions might not be practical.

View PostTheInvisibleSun, on 12 January 2018 - 03:29 PM, said:

I honestly only use Blue Sphere to de-transform at this point.

Same here. If there is a Plus version, I hope they make it that collecting all Gold Medals causes Blue Sphere to be replaced with something else, even if it's just getting a random shield when passing a Starpost. I always felt that exploring with Sonic was more enjoyable in S3&K than Mania, simply because it was easier for him to get shields (by using the bonus stages) which in turn gave him more abilities for exploring.

#10718 User is offline OcelotBot 

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:13 AM

• Scooty-Puff Jr sucks!

View Postbig smile, on 14 January 2018 - 07:21 AM, said:

View PostLord Nero, on 13 January 2018 - 07:35 PM, said:

Don't take away my dreams.. :argh:/>/>

I personally hope they release the remasters separately and not with the Plus edition. Reasons:
1) Sega could make more money that way (especially on Switch), which would hopefully increases budgets for future Mania Team titles.
2) Releasing them separately, would hopefully give more budget for new features. I'd love to see more 2P features in Sonic 1 & Sonic CD. That Sonic artbook showed that Sega has a lot of concept art for these titles in their vaults, so maybe the Mania Team could scan it all in and make it unlockable rewards for completing levels in the remasters.
3) They could release the remasters over 2018 & 2019, which would hopefully give them more time for a Mania sequel, especially if the remasters were ported by a third party (With the Mania team supervising).
Of course, I don't know much about how game development works, so some of these suggestions might not be practical.

I'd be fine with the remasters being released separately on current-gen. At the same time I think a collection (physical and/or digital) consisting of Mania and the Sonic 1&2 remasters would surely be a good seller. I know Sonic CD (Remastered) was made using an older version of the Retro engine and doesn't have all the same features as the Sonic 1&2 mobile versions; such as the ability to replay any stage on a completed save-file, Playable Knuckles and playable Sonic & Tails (AI) etc. However, I'd still want Sonic CD included.

Actually, how about a new current-gen collection featuring all the 8 bit, 32 bit games as well as the 16-bit classics. So in other words like the Sonic Mega Collection and Gems Collection. I'm sure fans would want to play Mean Bean again after it's inclusion as Mania's Chemical Plant boss. (Knuckles) Chaotix has never been re-released (accept for a Windows release - I think - ages ago), so I'd like this included. They could also include the 3D Blast Directors Cut. I digress...

Anyway, any collection of 2d Sonic games would be appreciated, especially off the back of Mania's success.

#10719 User is offline 360 

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:08 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
I'm sure the remasters will see the light of day again via some kind of inclusion with Mania or standalone re-release. "Plus" could indicate something as simple as remasters being bundled, Mega Collection style, or an enhanced edition of Mania with more content. Then again it could even be both. I just hope our previous efforts to make noise about Sonic 3K remastered had some impact since it's a game that needs to be made.

Aaron seems to be dropping news in the regular Sonic streams he does, so I'd anticipate something about "Project Plus" coming up in one of those.

#10720 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:25 PM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash
VGMOnline (videogame soundtrack-focused website) has posted their 2017 nominations for their Annual Game Music Awards.

Chiptune / Retro (within Scores of the Year)

Blaster Master Zero
Cosmic Star Heroine
Flinthook
Sonic Mania
Yooka-Laylee

Newcomer (within Artists of the Year)

Daughter (Life is Strange: Before the Storm)
Jeff Russo (What Remains of Edith Finch)
Kristofer Maddigan (Cuphead)
Mariam Abounnasr (Another Eden)
Tee Lopes (Sonic Mania)

Fan-Arranged Album (within Albums of the Year)

Crypt of the NecroDancer: OverClocked
Mirror Image: A Link to the Past Remixed
Piano Collections: Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow/Green
Sonic Mania Remixed
Zodiac: Final Fantasy Tactics Remixed

Aside from more music nominations for Mania and Tee Lopes, a fan project of an official game made by fans also got a nod. Everything came full circle! :v:

Now for the punchline--if Mania, Tee Lopes, and Mania Remixed can win any of their respective minor categories, then they get a shot for winning their respective major categories (Score of the Year, Artist of the Year, and Album of the Year; the winner for these awards are picked from a pool of winners of the minor categories).

#10721 User is offline jubbalub 

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:16 PM

• W E L C O M E T O T H E N E X T L E V E L
  • Project:Project Sanctuary, Sonic Mania: The Misfits Pack
Speaking of music, the OST is now available digitally in Japan, but it's missing a few tracks. and also has some new tracks names for songs that didn't have them previously.

It's also available on iTunes in the UK.

#10722 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:02 PM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash
Was wondering if the holdup for Mania's OST was due to royalties regarding the tracks/zones based on Nakamura's compositions. Guess we got our answer.

The OST release described as the "Selected Edition" gives me some hope they are still working to release a complete soundtrack with the GH/CP/OO tracks intact, but I'm admittedly not holding my breath on that. Even despite Mania's reviews, sales, award wins/nominations; it really does seem to remain to be seen if Mania will indeed hold any bearing as to what happens to Sonic in the future (and Forces cements that feeling more than anything else, despite its reception roughly being inverse to that of Mania's).
This post has been edited by Yeow: 16 January 2018 - 11:03 PM

#10723 User is offline 360 

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:20 AM

• Light Vision Overdrive

View PostYeow, on 16 January 2018 - 11:02 PM, said:

Even despite Mania's reviews, sales, award wins/nominations; it really does seem to remain to be seen if Mania will indeed hold any bearing as to what happens to Sonic in the future (and Forces cements that feeling more than anything else, despite its reception roughly being inverse to that of Mania's).

This is an understandable viewpoint to have - even I'm a little worried too - but I think ultimately Mania's millions of sales will swing it. Sonic Team did say that Mania's reception would steer the direction of Sonic moving forward and then the game went on to become a critical darling, much-loved by fans, glowing reviews and quite crucially Mania lit the charts on fire. Modern Sega is all about the money and Mania made a hell of a lot of it for them. I think the sales alone will solidify their intention to continue Mania moving forward. They're a business after all and Sonic Mania was one of their best selling games ever. As a business, they can't be dismissive of that. So Sega probably will push for more Mania because it made them money and Sonic Team indicated that if the game does well, which it did and exceptionally so, they'll push for it too.

Then we have the fact that Forces under performed quite drastically which will contribute too. They'll focus on the game that did well for them, almost certain of it.

#10724 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:41 AM

• Project:-
  • Wiki edits:22
Mania's OST out basically everywhere.

Missing tracks:

Trailer BGM (Hyper Potions - Time Trials)
Intro (Hyper Potions - Friends)
GHz 1
GHz 2
CPz 1
CPz 2
OOz 1
OOz 2
Ending BGM (This one)
& Knuckles Ending BGM (This one)
This post has been edited by Master Emerald: 17 January 2018 - 01:06 AM

#10725 User is offline Roller 

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:34 AM

Bit of an aside, but I'm kind of surprised that neither Egg Reverie or Havoc Prognosis (the title for the second boss theme) were titled "Ruby Eclipse".

I mean, given the track name theme of Ruby Delusions/Illusions, and Aaron's influence.

• 730 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users