Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic things you used to misremember - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic things you used to misremember Ever thought up some odd things?

#31 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:50 AM

• Wiki edits:6
The Chaotix were only ever minor characters in the Classic series, so when they returned in Heroes Sonic Team had a lot of flexibility with them. Espio wasn't a ninja at all before, right? I really appreciate that aspect of his character now. Vector's personality was really hammed up in a good way. He got a tougher image with the gold chain and stockier physique. The bubblegum move, however bizarre, has never struck me as odd until now. It fits his image well. I love the Chaotix.

Here's a case of something that I thought I mis-remembered but it eventually turned out that I was actually right all along. Back when I was a child, I couldn't get past Carnival Night (or Marble Garden if playing as Tails alone...) in S3K. One day at a party I watched someone else play through the game and get really far into it. I think they made to Lava Reef or Sandopolis. What I distinctly remember seeing when they got the seventh Chaos Emerald was the message "Sonic can now go to Hidden Palace". It would be years and years before I ever saw that message again, and I was convinced that I'd imagined it. Someone else on here brought it up some time ago and it turns out that this message is only displayed if you get the seventh Chaos Emerald after visiting Hidden Palace at the start of Mushroom Hill. It makes sense that I'd never seen it because whenever I got the Chaos Emeralds before I'd always managed it below reaching Mushroom Hill.

#32 User is offline SaturnJaguar 

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:02 PM

I had Sonic Mega Collection for the Gamecube, and after watching the "History of Sonic" video in the extras I believed that Sonic CD and Sonic Jam were unlockables (since I unlocked KiS2, S3&K and Blue Sphere beforehand). Hilariously, I was pretty confused when some games I never heard of called "Ficky" and "Ristar" were finally unlocked.

#33 User is offline MiSHiKiS 

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:17 PM

I could've sworn there was an official Sonic website or something that made me believe for the longest time that Tails was Sonic's adopted brother. Not until typing this post did I realize i was this site back in 09" and it was www.sega.com/sonic because I used to make it my old homepage on startup.

I tried using Wayback to recheck, but it only results in a black screen. I'm willing to believe that it was most likely me reading it incorrectly and that Sonic "treats him like a little brother" or something, but that was something I believed for a while.

#34 User is offline Shaddy the guy 

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:27 PM

• Head chef at the crap cafe
  • Project:One Piece English filler-free cut
You're thinking of Sonic Central, which I'm pretty sure did say that. It had some kind of "ask Sonic" section or something like that, where they would write in-character answers to people's questions for/about Sonic.

I legit can't recall if it was adoptive brother or treated like brother either, but I do remember one question that said "What happened to Fang, Mighty, Ray, Bean and Bark?" where the Sonic answer was basically just "lol who the fuck knows".

I don't think there is any archive of Sonic Central left. But hey, google images did show me this:
Posted Image

#35 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:16 AM

But people keep claiming Eggman is his real name. Probably because half the fanbase was introduced to the franchise with Sonic Adventure 2.
I've seen some people even claiming that its reverse, that Eggman is his real name, while dr. Ivo Robotnik is a nickname. Then how are his relatives also having a super similar nickname, Maria Robotnik and Gerald Robotnik... :rolleyes:/>/>

And even if you go and say' oh, but he was called Eggman in Japan from the start, so that makes it canon'. Does it?
Do you ever say the names Rockman, Biohazard, or Devil's Castle Dracula? Because those are also the japanese names of games made by japanese companies.
I'd really like for the matter to be settled once and for all.
This post has been edited by winterhell: 20 October 2017 - 03:21 AM

#36 User is offline SuperSnoopy 

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:48 AM

• I prefer Sonic Advance to Sonic 2
  • Project:Learning how to fucking draw

View PostBlue Blood, on 19 October 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

Espio wasn't a ninja at all before, right?

I'm pretty sure Knuckles' Chaotix Japanese manual described him as a ninja.
But I can't for the life of me find any scan of it. Not even on Sonic Retro, ironically enough
This post has been edited by SuperSnoopy: 20 October 2017 - 04:48 AM

#37 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:17 AM

• Goodnik ambasador
  • Project:Too many of them
Well, my question about Vector was with the 32X game specifically, but remembering me the bubblegum skill was added in Heroes confirms my misremembering and why I misremembered it.

What about the infernal/halloween/whatever bug? I wanted some specific example to show to my friend, since at least it seems confirmed there was that kind of bug.
This post has been edited by HedgeHayes: 20 October 2017 - 07:18 AM

#38 User is offline tylerfoxorwhatever 

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:53 AM

• I don't even know where I'm standing.
  • Project:Sonic Miraculous Adventure

View Postwinterhell, on 20 October 2017 - 03:16 AM, said:

But people keep claiming Eggman is his real name. Probably because half the fanbase was introduced to the franchise with Sonic Adventure 2.
I've seen some people even claiming that its reverse, that Eggman is his real name, while dr. Ivo Robotnik is a nickname. Then how are his relatives also having a super similar nickname, Maria Robotnik and Gerald Robotnik... :rolleyes:/>/>/>

And even if you go and say' oh, but he was called Eggman in Japan from the start, so that makes it canon'. Does it?
Do you ever say the names Rockman, Biohazard, or Devil's Castle Dracula? Because those are also the japanese names of games made by japanese companies.

I always thought his full name was Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik. In fact, I recall seeing that while reading some instruction manual, though now I'm not really sure, probably another thing I misremember from my younger self.

#39 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:14 AM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

View Posttylerfoxorwhatever, on 20 October 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

I've seen some people even claiming that its reverse, that Eggman is his real name, while dr. Ivo Robotnik is a nickname. Then how are his relatives also having a super similar nickname, Maria Robotnik and Gerald Robotnik... :rolleyes:

I always thought his full name was Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik. In fact, I recall seeing that while reading some instruction manual, though now I'm not really sure, probably another thing I misremember from my younger self.

Pretty sure that's their explanation these days yea. Of course he still goes by Eggman, but at least outside of Japan he's Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik.

Besides if his last name wasn't Robotnik then Gerald and Maria Robotnik wouldn't make any sense.

#40 User is offline tylerfoxorwhatever 

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:48 AM

• I don't even know where I'm standing.
  • Project:Sonic Miraculous Adventure

View PostDark Sonic, on 20 October 2017 - 09:14 AM, said:

View Posttylerfoxorwhatever, on 20 October 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

I've seen some people even claiming that its reverse, that Eggman is his real name, while dr. Ivo Robotnik is a nickname. Then how are his relatives also having a super similar nickname, Maria Robotnik and Gerald Robotnik... :rolleyes:

Pretty sure that's their explanation these days yea. Of course he still goes by Eggman, but at least outside of Japan he's Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik.

Besides if his last name wasn't Robotnik then Gerald and Maria Robotnik wouldn't make any sense.

I suppose they are just called Maria and Gerald in Japan, without the "Robotnik" part.
This post has been edited by tylerfoxorwhatever: 20 October 2017 - 10:50 AM

#41 User is offline Chainspike 

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:22 AM

• Stealing rings since 1994
  • Project:Sonic sprite animation?

View PostHedgeHayes, on 20 October 2017 - 07:17 AM, said:

What about the infernal/halloween/whatever bug? I wanted some specific example to show to my friend, since at least it seems confirmed there was that kind of bug.
There was a glitch I knew about in Sonic 3 & Knuckles that would causes animated tiles to glitch out and look like eyeballs looking around. Unfortunately, I can no longer replicate the glitch and I don't think it can be found on the world wide web. It was so very complicated to pull off that I doubt your friend saw this.

There are these, but their from Sonic Spinball and are hardly related to Halloween. I don't even think it's possible to see them normally either but I heard that some people find these creepy:

Spoiler

Actually I would consider these infernal; the death sound rapidly plays over and over and weird unreadable text strings appear in the text box above.

I also just remembered this bug: It requires debug mode though.
Spoiler

#42 User is offline Blue Spikeball 

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:34 PM

I've seen some people even claiming that its reverse, that Eggman is his real name, while dr. Ivo Robotnik is a nickname. Then how are his relatives also having a super similar nickname, Maria Robotnik and Gerald Robotnik... :rolleyes:/>/>/>

So you expect all Latin Americans to refer to Tails and Eggman as "Colitas" (little tails) and "Mostachón" (big moustache) respectively because that's what they were called in their region? :rolleyes:

View PostDark Sonic, on 20 October 2017 - 09:14 AM, said:

Not necessarily. You can have a different surname from your grandfather and cousin.

Regardless, Sega's current stance is that Eggman is a nickname, and his real name outside of Japan is Ivo Robotnik, while his Japanese character bio states that his real name is unknown.

View Posttylerfoxorwhatever, on 20 October 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

I suppose they are just called Maria and Gerald in Japan, without the "Robotnik" part.

Actually, they both have the surname Robotnik in Japan as well. They're a rare instance of a localization name carrying over to the original region.
This post has been edited by Blue Spikeball: 20 October 2017 - 05:38 PM

#43 User is offline Xilla 

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:58 PM

• No promotion for you, laddy.
The swinging platform at the start of Mystic Cave Act 2 detaching from the chain like in Aquatic Ruin.

#44 User is offline Ch1pper 

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:37 AM

• Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less
  • Project:Life.
  • Wiki edits:40
Misremembering: Sonic 3D Blast on the Saturn looking and playing like low-frame garbage. :v: I'm not sure what I was thinking of these past few weeks as it looks fine in footage. Maybe I had poor settings on my tv when I played it. Although no doubt the Saturn controllers would've messed me up a bit. Only had the 3D controller with nice D-Pad but weird-feeling buttons and a regular controller with wonky-ass D-Pad and nice buttons. Either way I was screwed.

#45 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:59 PM

• Goodnik ambasador
  • Project:Too many of them

View PostChainspike, on 20 October 2017 - 11:22 AM, said:

View PostHedgeHayes, on 20 October 2017 - 07:17 AM, said:

There was a glitch I knew about in Sonic 3 & Knuckles that would causes animated tiles to glitch out and look like eyeballs looking around. Unfortunately, I can no longer replicate the glitch and I don't think it can be found on the world wide web. It was so very complicated to pull off that I doubt your friend saw this.

There are these, but their from Sonic Spinball and are hardly related to Halloween. I don't even think it's possible to see them normally either but I heard that some people find these creepy:

Spoiler

Actually I would consider these infernal; the death sound rapidly plays over and over and weird unreadable text strings appear in the text box above.

I also just remembered this bug: It requires debug mode though.
Spoiler

This last one seems related to what my friend saw, since Sonic is a bit ".exe". It still doesn't show a halloween or whatever level, so he could even be talking about more than just one bug; as I said before, some kind of weird palette swap. The "eyes" bug you mentioned sound quite appropiate, but I think you're right about him not seeing it. I still think he could have seen an early hack and be misremembering this, but at least I can show him the "hellhog" bug, so thanks for your time and effort.

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users