Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!) Generations Cracked wide open (Custom Levels are an ongoing event!

#916 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

• Tech Support Hotline
  • Project:SonicGLvl
I figured out how to fix the global illumination. We still don't have shadows, but heck, this is quite a big step towards the visual quality.

First off, we'll be using the higher quality GIA lighting provided in the DLC Packs for Unleashed. Brother Zoney has been uploading them, and I've been trying to figure out how to make them right.

It's widely known by now that between the 360 version and the PC version, all UVs for terrain-related stuff are flipped. So even if we do flip the textures for the terrain, the lighting still needs to be fixed. But you just can't flip around the GIA lighting textures and make it work... Most of these textures hold nearly 10 to 100 sub-textures for saving up space, and if you just rotated them, it would look glitchy as hell because the coordinates would be wrong.

But, you see, inside each of these gia.ar files, there's a little binary file called atlasinfo, with an easy to guess binary structure. Heck, I already reverse-engineered it fully:
struct atlasinfo_header {
    char padding=0;
    unsigned int8 textures_ammount; // How many DDS files it needs to load
    char add_padding=0;
};

// Read this for textures_ammount times after reading sub_texture_info
struct texture_header {
    unsigned int8 texture_name_size; // How many chars the texture name has
    char texture_name[texture_name_size]; // DDS texture name (without the .dds extension), non-null terminated
    unsigned int8 sub_texture_size; // How many subtextures are in this file
    char padding=0;
};

// Read the next structure structure for sub_texture_size times

struct sub_texture_info {
    unsigned int8 subtexture_name_size; // How many chars the subtexture name has
    char subtexture_name[subtexture_name_size]; // non-null terminated string, internal name of the texture this gia data belongs to in the terrain(or perhaps the object)

// Multipliers for the UV coords
    unsigned int8 u_mult;
    unsigned int8 v_mult;

// Absolute value of the UV coordinate this texture is
  // Should be multiplied by u_mult, and v_mult
    unsigned int8 u_scale;
    unsigned int8 v_scale;
};

Followed this structure, flipped the UVs of each texture with Photoshop, swapped the uv multipliers and scales inside each atlasinfo thanks to a handy tool, and this is the result. Correct global illumination:

Now notice there's still a few textures we missed because we didn't copy them sadly, and the GIA loading data range hasn't been tweaked yet in that video because the DLC GIA data is MUCH heavier than the normal one. This should be all fixable by editting a few xmls though.

Now all we got left to do is figure out how to enable shadowing of the terrain(notice Sonic nor objects cast Shadows on the terrain, even if the shadows are there shown by the previous evidence). As for the darker coloring, the reason might be that the GIA textures might be lower bit-depth than the PC version, so a higher-bit depth will give it this more saturated look. Once I figure out the right settings, it should work.

I should be able to record a run of Windmill Isle Act 2 with the correct global illumination once the Archive editor is updated for admitting a text file as a command line.
This post has been edited by Dario FF: 30 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

#917 User is offline Twilightzoney 

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

• Project:Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
So much swag! Awesome looking, but didn't make me go WOAHASDF, like you thought I would, unless that is by having to be with the xml stuff. Otherwise, "Yay no more gunky junk."Also at least Sonic doesn't look out of place now.
This post has been edited by Twilightzoney: 30 January 2012 - 12:26 PM

#918 User is offline Wolf Rogers 

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:10 PM

Now that's just getting awesome!

#919 User is offline Azu 

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

• I must be stupid.
Can we have a download please. =3

#920 User is offline Elratauru 

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

• Oooh Shiny stuff! don't touch it >:(
  • Project:Web Developing Stuff! :P
  • Wiki edits:132
While the improvements are great, I feel that the stage is lacking a lot of lighting and ilumination. I know that shadows are missing, but why does this video looks a lot brighter?
Edit; I can't read it seems. Yeah I get it now :v:

Anyways, epic stuff. I love how even the camera works almost like it should. Looking forward to see more levels with GI fixed! :3 Keep the nice job!
This post has been edited by Elratauru: 30 January 2012 - 04:54 PM

#921 User is offline JakeyBoy 

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

• Wiki edits:3
He said the textures are the wrong colour because they are using the wrong bit-depth. Or so I interpretted it. But Black Chunan looks pretty anyway.
This post has been edited by JakeyBoy: 30 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

#922 User is offline Lobotomy 

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

• Oh, that hit single "Summertime Loving, Loving in the Summer (Time)"?
  • Project:Fixing Generations FOREVER, Project: In Silico, Unleashed PC Beautification.
  • Wiki edits:94
So what's going to happen during the interceptor parts of the stage?

#923 User is offline Kharen 

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

If you're talking about the thing that chases Sonic near the end, my suggestion would be to put those three ships that line up and take turns shooting lasers at you there. I mean, it'd be somewhat similar.

My question about the ported level is why the bomb things near the beginning are left out? You could use the ones that were in Seaside Hill's racecar section.

#924 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:53 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2
So what's wrong with the second dragon since you used a rail instead?

Anyway, awesome job. If I didn't already know that this wasn't Unleashed, I would think it actually was Unleashed.

#925 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

• Tech Support Hotline
  • Project:SonicGLvl

View PostJaxTH, on 30 January 2012 - 09:53 PM, said:

So what's wrong with the second dragon since you used a rail instead?

I just missed my reaction at jumping there. :v: That dragon works fine.

Anyway, I've been having some setbacks in porting windmill isle act 2's GI. First off, it's darn big. The DLC GIA quality lighting is 200 MB big. While it imported perfectly in-game, the game loads the low-quality GIA for the far-away objects... and I haven't been able to fix it with the same method for some reason. As you walk through the stage, all the stuff near you loads with great quality lighting, but the rest is glitchy stuff. Once I figure out how to fix the low-quality GIA maps as well, it should work.

Here's a sample shot of the color correction I've been trying. (I've been pretty much using PS's auto-color). I guess the brightness could be tuned up a bit more, but at least it doesn't have that ridiculous blueish hue:
Posted Image

I think the color-differences in the rocks is because of what I explained, different quality lightmaps. The HQ ones are fixed, the low-fi ones aren't yet. :(

#926 User is offline Portalboat 

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:05 AM

._.

There are no words to describe that.
Seriously, it looks EXACTLY like how it does in-game, amazing work.

#927 User is offline ultima espio 

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

Who made this?

It's actually amazing.

I'm liking what you guys are doing with the Unleashed levels, hope you fix them soon :)
This post has been edited by ultima espio: 31 January 2012 - 10:36 AM

#928 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

• DYNAMIC SONIC! EXCITING SONIC! STYLISH SONIC! UNBELIEVABLE!
  • Project:Making the world know that Lost World 3DS is terrible
  • Wiki edits:10
HNnnnnnnggggg Knuckles holy crap. Even if he plays like Sonic, this is still awesome.

Whoever made that, get on making classic Tails and Metal Sonic playable in classic levels.
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 31 January 2012 - 10:41 AM

#929 User is offline bolt7 

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

Its being posted over at SSMB and its originally from another sonic forum in Russia. Looks pretty cool actually can't wait to see what else that hacker does =).

#930 User is online TimmiT 

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:42 PM

• Sports tape == toilet paper
  • Project:College
  • Wiki edits:8

View Postbolt7, on 31 January 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

Its being posted over at SSMB and its originally from another sonic forum in Russia. Looks pretty cool actually can't wait to see what else that hacker does =).

Wait, so this means we could get a new version of this?

• 285 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users