Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: PC Building General - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 5 Pages +
    Locked Forum

PC Building General

#31 User is offline rata 

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:15 PM

• Project:Trying to be useful somehow.
We still have to see the real performance of the card, but the CPU dependance on AMD in DX11 is really high (we also have to check for it's performance on DX12), so it may get a noticeable bottleneck (sometimes they drown an i5 4xxx and I think their performance is better than your i7).

#32 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:57 PM

Do you insist on getting a Radeon for a reason other than 'in some scenarios it has better performance/$ than GeForce" ?

#33 User is offline rata 

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:20 PM

Well, I personally can't find other reason to get a card. Since nVidia is abusing it's position of pseudo-monopoly and their prices are innecessarily high, fuck them. If a radeon has better performance/price ratio, I'm all for it. Spending twice the price for NOT even close to twice the performance sounds stupid for me. But we still have to see if the radeon performance as good as it sounds, in new and old games, and most important, how it interact with your CPU. For example if you have an FX, you have practicaly no other choice than a geforce given the cpu dependance of radeons on dx11. Dx12 can't do miracles neither if your cpu is a crap, so...

#34 User is offline Jeffery Mewtamer 

Posted 18 June 2016 - 10:27 AM

While on the subject of Graphics cards, if my 5-year-old tower starts giving me problems that push me to replace it, would there be any advantage to having a dedicated GPU over integrated Graphics if Firefox+Orca is the only application I ever launch an Xserver for?

Am I correct that it would be a waste to have more than 4GB of RAM as long as I'm stuck running a 32-bit distribution of Linux?

What are the trade-offs between faster clock with fewer cores and slower clock with more cores?

#35 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 18 June 2016 - 12:27 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204

View PostJeffery Mewtamer, on 18 June 2016 - 10:27 AM, said:

While on the subject of Graphics cards, if my 5-year-old tower starts giving me problems that push me to replace it, would there be any advantage to having a dedicated GPU over integrated Graphics if Firefox+Orca is the only application I ever launch an Xserver for?

Firefox does use some hardware acceleration but I'm not so sure in your case it's worth it. Do you listen to any video at all? I'm not sure how playback would be affected in terms of choppyness to the audio with integrated graphics. Either way, I wouldn't buy an expensive card, certainly no more than £60-70.

Am I correct that it would be a waste to have more than 4GB of RAM as long as I'm stuck running a 32-bit distribution of Linux?

Yes.

What are the trade-offs between faster clock with fewer cores and slower clock with more cores?

Depends how many CPU intensive things you're running at once - a program that benefits from a fast clockrate will run much better on say a 2 core system running at 3GHz than a 4 core system at 2Ghz - any given program can only use one core at once. By the same token, 4 lower intensity programs will each have their own core on a 4-core system rather than having to share any.

#36 User is offline Oerg866 

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:32 PM

• Wiki edits:3
Not sure about how it works on linux, but there are methods to get access to a bigger address range in 32-bit systems (PAE), I'm pretty sure some flavour of linux ought to support that.

#37 User is offline Jeffery Mewtamer 

Posted 19 June 2016 - 01:58 PM

I do listen to YouTube videos using the HTML5 Player on a regular basis. Orca does seem to trip over itself less on my desktop compared to my laptop as it reads Firefox when I have a lot of tabs open. When I drop down to the terminal, it's mainly for system maintenance, editing text documents, or organizing media files(most of which I use my Portable Media Player to listen to). The desktop also serves as a seed box, with about a hundred instances of ctorrent running in daemon mode, but that's probably a trivial amount of system load compared to Firefox, Orca, and the stripped down xserver I use to launch them(relaunching all those torrents after a reboot did cause major slow down before I altered my seeding script to have ctorrent skip hash checking).

Granted, I have no idea what kind of graphics the two machines have, have no idea how their ram speeds compare(I think both are 4GB machines with the same sized swap partition), and while I know the laptop is running a newer model Celeron with 4 cores at 1.8GHz, all I know about the Desktop's CPU is that it's an older i7(The Laptop was bought summer of 2015, the desktop was given to me fall of 2011).

#38 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 19 June 2016 - 02:14 PM

View PostOerg866, on 18 June 2016 - 07:32 PM, said:

Not sure about how it works on linux, but there are methods to get access to a bigger address range in 32-bit systems (PAE), I'm pretty sure some flavour of linux ought to support that.

I thought PAE bumped you up from a max of 3.25GB to 4GB?

#39 User is offline trakker 

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:51 PM

• The guy that's been warned!
  • Project:http://comicfury.com/comicprofile.php?url=Lunate-Epsilon
I'm thinking of building a new PC more and more, since this one is past 5 years old and there are parts in it that are so weak the closest equivalents are double the power. I'm trying to shoot for less than a £1000, but since I last did that 5 years ago, I'm far from a master builder and would appreciate any input on my rough plan of what I want to throw together.

Intel core i5 6500 (processor) - £190
MSI Z170A Gaming pro carbon z170 (Motherboard) - £130
Intel 600p series 128gb m.2 SSD (system drive) - £50
Western Digital Black 2TB (main storage) - £120
Corsair Vengence LPX 2times4GB(RAM) - £45
GeForce GTX 1060 G1 6144MB GDDR5 (graphics card) - £280
Corsair VS450 ATX (power) - £50
Case - £30

£895

Does that look OK? it's gonna be used for general current gaming (recording and streaming) and video rendering and art and stuff mostly, I have a couple of screens so they'll probably be copious multitasking too. Any improvements in price and components?

#40 User is offline rata 

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:41 PM

Motherboards with chipser Z are meant for overclocking, something not possible with blocked processors. You will want either an unlocked (K) CPU or a H motherboard if you will not overclock (you know, saving money).
Second, VS series of Corsair are crap, I would get a better PSU to keep the system safe. The less I would go with would be an EVGA 500B, not for wattage but quality. You can check Tom's Hardware PSU Tier list to have an idea.
Third, and this depends only on what are you going to put in it, you may want either a larger SSD or another SSD (a cheaper SATA3 one with more capacity besides that .M2), because modern games are larger and larger. If you will put only the system and one game at the time then it's fine.

Regarding to RAM, I think that G Skill offers lifetime warranty. I would also get 1x8GB in case you consider getting another 8 in the future.

#41 User is offline GerbilSoft 

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:39 PM

• RickRotate'd.
  • Project:Gens/GS
  • Wiki edits:5,000 + one spin

View PostOverlord, on 19 June 2016 - 02:14 PM, said:

PAE allows up to 64GB, and it's enabled on pretty much all 32-bit Linux systems. That having been said, you're better off using 64-bit if the CPU supports it.

(Windows XP did support PAE for >4GB prior to SP2, but they disabled it due to third-party drivers going bonkers when they encountered a high address. There's unofficial patches, but really, just use a 64-bit OS.)

#42 User is offline trakker 

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:51 AM

View Postrata, on 20 September 2016 - 03:41 PM, said:

Motherboards with chipser Z are meant for overclocking, something not possible with blocked processors. You will want either an unlocked (K) CPU or a H motherboard if you will not overclock (you know, saving money).
Second, VS series of Corsair are crap, I would get a better PSU to keep the system safe. The less I would go with would be an EVGA 500B, not for wattage but quality. You can check Tom's Hardware PSU Tier list to have an idea.
Third, and this depends only on what are you going to put in it, you may want either a larger SSD or another SSD (a cheaper SATA3 one with more capacity besides that .M2), because modern games are larger and larger. If you will put only the system and one game at the time then it's fine.

Regarding to RAM, I think that G Skill offers lifetime warranty. I would also get 1x8GB in case you consider getting another 8 in the future.

Yeah, I'm a bit lost with motherboards, everyone has opinions on them. I do know that this time I wanted the M.2 slot with an average size SSD purely for the operating system, (unless I'm getting that wrong)I'd have a large HDD (or two) for all my main data and stuff, installs, games, programs.
But yeah, I don't have much interest in overclocking, is this a better choice you think? https://www.overcloc...-mb-658-as.html

I think /anything/ i make is better than what i have now though
Spoiler

This post has been edited by trakker: 21 September 2016 - 07:52 AM

#43 User is offline rata 

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:43 AM

The thing is that some games like sandboxes and Battlefields make a huge difference between SSD and HDD. That's why I would get a 256GB for example, or a second, larger and cheaper SATA SSD for games and maybe some heavy programs.

Regarding to the MoBo, it still has the .M2 port, so that's 30 pounds cheaper that you can get without penalty. Moreover, those 30 pounds can help you with the point stated above. Now, you may want to search reviews about it, because I don't know how reliable is each brand so I can not help you with that.

Please be sure of choosing a stable PSU as it is a critical component, and if a bad one fails it may screw your whole PC.

By the way, if you think your current PC is so bad, you can give it to me, I bougth an A6 for my mom last year :p.
I have a Sempron 3400 for myself, THAT is something to be ashamed about. I'm planning to move to Zen when they come, if they are viable.

#44 User is offline trakker 

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:47 AM

I am hamming up how bad my current PC is a bit, I know it's passable, it's just wearing down somewhat, as for the power supply, I could get a second one what I'm using now (Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 650W), that's worked flawlessly all the time i have had it in this PC. Well, i would if they still made them haha

I'll keep digging around, thanks for the imput

#45 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:07 PM

View PostGerbilSoft, on 20 September 2016 - 04:39 PM, said:

View PostOverlord, on 19 June 2016 - 02:14 PM, said:

PAE allows up to 64GB, and it's enabled on pretty much all 32-bit Linux systems. That having been said, you're better off using 64-bit if the CPU supports it.

(Windows XP did support PAE for >4GB prior to SP2, but they disabled it due to third-party drivers going bonkers when they encountered a high address. There's unofficial patches, but really, just use a 64-bit OS.)

What Gerbil said - if you're doing a new OS install in 2016, you shouldn't be using a 32bit version of said OS unless it's a REALLY low-end netbook that only has a 32bit processor.

• 5 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users