Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: PC Building General - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 5 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

PC Building General

#16 User is offline Mecha Sally 

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:01 AM

View Postrata, on 05 May 2016 - 11:04 PM, said:

If you're not going to get an unlocked processor (k version) then I would suggest you to get a motherboard with H chipset. Z chipset is prepared for overclocking, something you won't do on a locked processor, so in the end you will be wasting money. You can either get the k version of the CPU if you're thinking on overclock, or get a cheaper H motherboard.

I don't plan on overclocking, so I think the cheaper mobo would be the way to go. Didn't even think about the different chipsets and what they do as I was focused on the mobo size, CPU socket type, and the customer ratings. I'll have to look into H mobo's and see what there is. Thanks!

#17 User is offline SoNick 

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:22 PM

• Imageshack took down my old avatar after nearly a decade
  • Project:catching 'em all
  • Wiki edits:1,168
Good catch on that one, rata! I missed that in Mecha Sally's build myself. And hey, here hoping your build goes great Mecha Sally!

For my build the extra thermal paste I ordered came in the mail, and the case should be coming in while I'm at work! The rest of the parts are due later this week, I'm so excited!

#18 User is offline Lobotomy 

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:57 PM

• Meme War I Veteran
  • Project:Project: Matter/Energy
  • Wiki edits:94
Alright, I've been sailing this Ship of Theseus for eight years now, and I still have absolutely no reason, nor motivation, to leave the X58 chipset. Sure, I've upgraded my CPU to a hexacore Xeon from an i7 920, swapped GPUs, and added an SSD, increased RAM, etc, but as far as I can tell, there have not been nearly any compelling enough improvements to the handful of generations following the death of LGA 1366. If anything, there have even been a few regressions, such as that whole bafflingly retarded pay-to-overclock-your-cpu racket that Intel pulled with Sandy/Ivy Bridge! What if I don't want an APU? What if I see integrated graphics as a waste of die space? Where the fuck is Larrabee?
Call me old fashioned, pick on my triple channel memory, but other than "DIE SHRINK MOAR COARS INTEGRATED GRAPHICS THE CLOUD", I've got no fucking clue what I'm supposed to be missing here.

Oh, and fuck nVidia. How long do they think they can keep the 256-bit memory bus width crywank going? That shit is old hat in the era of atlas texture streaming and solid state drives. I get that AMD is hemorrhaging money, but it's like nVidia and Intel are using AMD's financial woes as an excuse not to innovate. Don't even get me started about the fucking GTX 970, and their bullshit driver propriety.

Fuck the current climate of the tech industry, seriously. Talk about disillusionment.
This post has been edited by Lobotomy: 11 May 2016 - 06:09 PM

#19 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:53 AM

There is a thing where, if you can get away with 5-10% performance increase for the same price every year or so,you do it.
The last big leap in performance with Intel was Sandy Bridge.
Ivy Bridge and Haswell were arguably worse since due to their shenanigans you couldn't even reach Sandy Bridge's overclock frequencies and performance, despite the smaller nm nodes.
For the same price I paid for a high end i5 in 2011 I can buy a 15-20% faster CPU now. Its pathetic I agree.
And they could easily fit 8 or 16 cores on 14nm if they could do 4 cores at 32, 45 and 65nm

#20 User is offline SoNick 

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:45 PM

My computer parts are here! They showed up while I was on lunch break, I can't wait to get home and put this thing together!

It's going to be a slightly involved process this time, too; at the moment my "backup" PC is running a chat-logging application for the TwitchPlaysPokemon chat, I think the plan is to install an IRC client on my super-weak Linux PC, get THAT logging chat, transfer my logs over, shut down backup PC, put the four old 1GB RAM sticks in backup PC, make sure it can boot, move backup PC to the living room for other projects, build new PC in the spare bedroom I've been slowly transforming into an office, make sure it runs, then pack it for a long weekend visiting friends for their graduation. After I get back I'm going to bug my roommate and/or some friends in the area and I can move the desk my parents gave me out of the basement and into the office-room as well; I've had it for several months now but I've put off moving it up to the spare bedroom as it's rather heavy haha.

In any case I've got a busy day ahead of me today, but it's going to be worth it!

#21 User is offline rata 

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:42 PM

• Project:Trying to be useful somehow.
Make sure you get rid of static caused by wool and/or just walking on the carpet. Touch the chassis or something else of metal, if it is touching ground then better.

#22 User is offline Tets 

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:32 AM

• one rude dude
So I upgraded my graphics card recently, and everything is great except for Just Cause 3 running like shit. I put MSI Afterburner on my secondary monitor and loaded it up only to find that the GPU clock won't move past around 520 out of 990 MHz maximum. Never seen anything like it before. No trouble with anything else, if I load up GTAV for example it immediately jumps to 990 MHz and the game runs beautifully. I can't imagine why Just Cause 3 won't fully utilize my GPU, especially when it ran perfectly with my old card. Doesn't matter if I close Afterburner either, or if I haven't even run it since booting. All I use it for is customizing my GPU's fan curve anyway.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't know what I could have done, if anything. I played through the game once in its entirety and halfway through with the Sky Fortress DLC, my framerate was always perfectly smooth, not even a hint of stuttering. Now I get like 15 fps at best.

Edit: Forgot to mention the hardware I'm working with, my bad. Old card is a Sapphire R9 280 3GB, new card is a Gigabyte R9 380 4GB. Not much of an upgrade, but with the old card out of warranty and the fans failing I decided to get a new card and set it aside until I can tear apart the fan housing.
This post has been edited by Tets: 18 May 2016 - 08:37 AM

#23 User is offline rata 

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:00 AM

• Project:Trying to be useful somehow.
I've heard something like that. Now I can't assure if my wires are shortcircuiting, but I think it was because the gpu works on 2D mode so you have to force it to 3D mode.

#24 User is offline Tets 

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:15 PM

• one rude dude
Looks like you nailed it. Damn, this is irritating. It runs fine if I force high performance clocks using RadeonPro, so I can sort of work around the problem, but it's still weird as shit. Apparently these Gigabyte cards are notorious for their aggressive power saving, which is exactly the sort of thing that I would find out after getting one, rather than before. *sigh* well at least it works in the end. Thanks for the clue!

#25 User is offline SoNick 

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:51 PM

So hey, I never got around to updating on this one. PC's built and it's running fine! The front of the case has two fans and only the bottom one's working, and the exhaust fan on the back seems to not be doing anything, either. If I need to I have a fan controller from an old build that I can install in one of the two open spots on the front panel then use that to control those two fans as well. Also of note is that HDD cage. This was my first install where I had to use one, and I ended up installing the drives in the cage backwards. The case wouldn't close with the cables to them going there so I removed the cage and saw my error. Unfortunately, they were stuck tight and wouldn't come out. In the end I resorted to taking a dremel tool and filing down the tabs holding the drives in the bays. I have replacement plastic drivebay parts ordered ($10 including shipping for the three of them!), but for now the PC runs fine with the HDDs in one of the cages sitting mostly-loose. When one drive's accessed it shakes things a bit and makes noise, but when the new drivebays arrive I can just move the drives to them and it should just shake that bay instead of the whole PC. Additionally, apparently the previous Windows 7 install I had on this SSD semi-worked! It got to the "Windows is starting up" screen and went at it for about 30 seconds before giving a BSOD. I opted to reformat and reinstall from scratch; I already made backups of everything important to me on that drive about a year ago when the PC it was in died.

Also of note is that my HTPC decided to die for a bit? I swapped in the 4GB of RAM that it used to have and it booted without issue, but I had canned air and that's a dangerous thing to have in my hands lol. I took the case mostly apart and blew out a TON of dust, then put it back together, but the door on the front that covers the Blu-Ray drive decided it wanted to pop the spring off. I said "Eh whatever I can fix that later" and brought it up to the living room. While waiting on Windows 7 (and later the Windows 10 upgrade) to install on my main PC, I tried to boot the HTPC and it was giving me a file is corrupted error on boot. Worried for the worst, I rebooted and it gave the same problem. Between the spring popping off and me nearly losing my Windows 7 disc (put it on my desk downstairs at the start so I wouldn't forget it, built the PC, then searched EVERYWHERE ELSE for the disc before remembering that I'd put it aside specifically so I wouldn't lose it lol) I just put that PC off as a project for another time and left town to see a friend. I got back the next day and opened the HTPC's case - one of the cables for one of the drives had come off. Okay, that's a simple enough fix--but no, that didn't do it. I took the thing ENTIRELY apart, fixed the door for the BluRay drive, then firmly reattached the data and power cables for each HDD and after that it's running fine! The PC's on a shelf in my living room right now and I've played several hours of Final Fantasy IX on it! There is another problem I'd forgotten about and that's that the PC isn't exactly silent with the fans going constantly, but later I'm sure I can look into a suspend/sleep state for that PC so it doesn't make so much noise when it's not in use.

#26 User is offline Tets 

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:39 AM

• one rude dude
Man, I wish I had known that R9 285/380s are notorious for random, inexplicable GPU driver crashes before I bought my new card. This turned out to be an incredibly poor choice! I thought my trouble with Just Cause 3 was bad enough. I feel thoroughly fucked in the ass after all the reading I've done since my GPU started crashing on the regular. Older drivers just crash the GPU, more recent versions either bluescreen or just shit the bed while the monitor reports signal loss. I can't even watch goddamn Netflix anymore. So if anyone else is thinking of buying a current gen, mid-range GPU from AMD, I suggest you reconsider your options carefully.

Seems to be a driver problem from what I've seen thus far. As long as it's not crashing, my games run perfectly well and the GPU stays cool, it's not overheating or anything like that. I've also read numerous accounts of people going through multiple replacements only to find the new card crashing within minutes of installation, in exactly the same way, each time. I'm about ready to write this off and look at nVidia cards, considering how widespread and low priority this seems to be. It was acknowledged at least half a year ago from what I understand, and that was the last anyone ever heard from AMD on the matter.

#27 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:37 PM

nVidia has more useful features and has better drivers.
With AMD you can forget Vsync under OpenGL. I am baffled why they have never bothered to support it.

#28 User is offline Mecha Sally 

Posted 10 June 2016 - 11:08 PM

Updated my build list a bit. I actually had to re-do it from scratch because I had to switch to my laptop (more on that in a bit) and the list I made wasn't cached on there.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($297.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170-D3HP ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($87.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($58.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.69 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Video Card
Case: Rosewill BlackHawk ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($70.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH22NS70 OEM DVD/CD Writer
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter ($17.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $783.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-10 23:45 EDT-0400

Changed the CPU, mobo, and case. CPU for Skylake, mobo to work with it, and case since it's supposed to be a bit roomier. Hopefully it's not too heavy... >.>

My desktop computer started acting up a few weeks ago which forced me to switch to the laptop. System files got corrupted either due to the bad sector that the main hard drive has had for a while or due to a virus that can't be detected. Said corruption has resulted in the following:

• My display drivers are fucked (can't update them; gives me an error), which results in the screen resolution being really bad.
  • Device Manager shows nothing at all.
  • Microsoft Security Essentials' real-time protection is disabled and will not turn on. I pressed the button to turn it on and it just does nothing. This led to me disabling the internet every time I signed in to Windows because I got worried about getting something/being tracked/whatever.
  • Speaking of the internet, I can't get to wireless network settings, yet I'm still able to connect to the internet. I just can't go in and modify network settings and such.
  • I can't download Windows updates at all; it just hangs for a really long time. This goes for MSE definition updates too. I tried to install Windows Updates manually and it didn't do anything, but manual MSE definition updates worked fine.
  • And as of the last time I had the computer on, whatever key I had used to activate Windows is apparently no longer valid. A notification popped up in the corner asking me to activate and I was like "oh..."

So yeah, seems I will be building a new desktop much sooner than expected. =/ I'm going on vacation in a few weeks though, so maybe when I get back from that I can order stuff and get started.

#29 User is offline Josh 

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:16 AM

• TGC Warrior
  • Wiki edits:1
Welp, here's how my build came out. I set an upper max limit of $3,000, and this thing is a beast to the point that I'm a bit remiss to even discuss it.

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero VIII
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Liquid CPU Cooler H100i
RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY, four sticks for 32GB
PSU: EVGA 1000GQ 80+
Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 512GB (I've also installed all my old hard drives, for a total of 640GB SSD and 5TB HDD storage)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Super Clocked
Case: NZXT Phantom 530, white
Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Monitor: Acer XB270HU (IPS, GSync, great for comic books)
Controller: Xbox One Elite
The First Thing I Did With It:
Posted Image
(Yep, launching the game via Steam's simple launcher stretched it to fill the screen by default, so I Just rolled with it.)

TOTAL COST: $2,861.97, and since I built it for business, that's all tax-deductible.

The CPU arrived slightly bent, but I decided to try it anyway. It MOSTLY worked, but two of my RAM slots and my top PCI-E slot weren't working. I attempted a refund via Amazon, but their system said it wasn't eligible for returns for some reason. So I wrote into support, and get this... they claimed it was a "household item" that I wouldn't have to return, and refunded me the full price of $297.99! Then I took the CPU out, carefully straightened it out, reseated it using a tool that was in the MOBO's box, and everything's working perfectly now.

I also have yet to actually install the water cooler. I know if I did, I could push it a lot further, but with everything I've thrown at it so far, there's really no reason to.
This post has been edited by Josh: 12 June 2016 - 03:18 AM

#30 User is offline grap3fruitman 

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:05 PM

• Wiki edits:5
Okay, I'm kind of tempted to get one of these RX480's coming out soon. How bad of a bottleneck is the rest of my PC? I have a four year old Core i7 875k with dual Radeon 5870s. I think PC specs are super confusing and have no idea if what I have is decent or laughable.

• 5 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users