(EDIT: I should probably mention the use case. General-purpose use, plus a few games including the Mass Effect series. Nothing too demanding for new systems, but the Intel GMA X3100 in her ThinkPad SL410 can't handle it.)
- Windows 7 Pro OEM (ordered it last weekend because it was $46, and there's no way in hell I'm using Windows 8+)
Parts I have on my Amazon list:
- Crucial MX200 250 GB M.2 SSD (OS, programs)
- WD Green 1TB HDD [WD10EZRX] (mass storage, e.g. videos)
- LG WH16NS40 BD Writer, because why not.
CPU: Not sure if I should get Haswell or Skylake. Skylake's new and has more USB3 ports; Haswell's older and has more options for boards and stuff. From what I've seen, comparable Haswell and Skylake CPUs cost the same, so that might tilt it in Skylake's favor.
Exact motherboard and RAM are dependent on CPU, but here's the minimum specs:
- Onboard gigabit Ethernet
- 4x RAM slots
- At least 1 PCIe x16 and two PCIe x1 slots
- At least 1 PCI slot just in case
- At least 2 USB 3.0 ports and 4 USB 2.0 ports
- At least 8 GB RAM. (Not sure about 2x4GB or 1x8GB, though the former supports dual-channel.)
GPU: I'll probably stick with the Intel iGPU initially. We can upgrade to an nVidia later if needed. (Not bothering with AMD until they get their act together.)
LCD: Minimum specs are 24", 1920x1080, IPS, VGA and DisplayPort.
Other required components include a wireless card (802.11n or ac, preferrably PCIe) and a Bluetooth adapter (if it isn't included with the wireless card), plus keyboard and mouse. (I'd get a Model M, but she wouldn't like that. )
Any suggestions for parts to get here?
Reason for edit: +use case