Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic R Hacking - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 20 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic R Hacking Because somebody should.

#286 User is offline XRick 

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:13 AM

• Wiki edits:2
Being the PC version, it shouldn't have trouble loading modified models, right? There's been mods before.
Unless the source code itself is written to load only a specific kind of models or something? Hmm, weird...

#287 User is offline McAleeCh 

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:35 AM

• Wiki edits:27
This looks amazing - I've always wanted to see the character models look more like their official renders on the "Congratulations!" screens etc., so would be really interested in this mod. Those prototype models look so much better than the ones used in-game in the final release, and you've done a really great job recreating them as accurately as possible. Will keep my fingers crossed that you manage to figure out the issues that are currently occurring...!

#288 User is offline XRick 

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:56 AM

• Wiki edits:2
And no videos have surfaced so far of gameplay with those new models. That's saddening...

#289 User is offline Xinus 

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:54 AM

I mean.. i can load up only the characters that display correctly right now and i think it won't crash. but as i said since all characters only use 2 textures half of the characters will appear with wrong textures. (also the versus icon uses player textures as well so it appears with incorrect textures in mode select menu.)
still I'm gonna give it a try though.

#290 User is offline McAleeCh 

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:23 AM

• Wiki edits:27
Just a heads-up for anyone not aware - InvisibleUp has just released a mod which correctly restores the DirectDraw/Saturn style lighting to the courses! Also, adds transparency to the Raidant Emerald course, similar to the Saturn version.

https://gamebanana.com/gamefiles/8236

Not had the chance to try it out yet but have seen screenshots - amazing to see the courses looking how I remember them from back in the day. Looking forward to trying it out when I have some time free for gaming. = )

Here's hoping Xinus manages to figure out the issues with the improved character models mod - have just seen the screenshots on the previous page again, and they look absolutely gorgeous. Would love to be able to use those in-game some day, especially in conjunction with this new lighting mod...!
This post has been edited by McAleeCh: 22 January 2019 - 05:38 AM

#291 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:21 AM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
Oooh! This is something I'm looking forward to trying out.

#292 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:15 PM

• Model2wannaB
  • Project:Formerly Sonic the Fighters

View PostMcAleeCh, on 22 January 2019 - 04:23 AM, said:

Just a heads-up for anyone not aware - InvisibleUp has just released a mod which correctly restores the DirectDraw/Saturn style lighting to the courses! Also, adds transparency to the Raidant Emerald course, similar to the Saturn version.

It would be nice to see a write-up on how this was done. Little to no documentation outside what GameHut has published exists for Sonic R code understanding.

#293 User is offline Neo 

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:21 PM

• Not actually a clacker or a jack
  • Project:Sonic 3 Unlocked
  • Wiki edits:1

View Postbiggestsonicfan, on 22 January 2019 - 04:15 PM, said:

It would be nice to see a write-up on how this was done. Little to no documentation outside what GameHut has published exists for Sonic R code understanding.

https://invisibleup....rg/articles/24/

#294 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:24 PM

• Model2wannaB
  • Project:Formerly Sonic the Fighters

View PostNeo, on 22 January 2019 - 04:21 PM, said:

Woof, that's incredibly thorough and detailed! Excellent! Thanks for linking!

#295 User is offline Neo 

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:42 AM

• Not actually a clacker or a jack
  • Project:Sonic 3 Unlocked
  • Wiki edits:1
For the record, that write-up is linked from the gamebanana page McAleeCh posted -- though it's not terribly obvious it's there.

#296 User is offline InvisibleUp 

Posted 23 January 2019 - 03:20 PM

• Project:None
I've also made similar style writeups for how different game modes show/hides objects and a possible bug involving slope physics.

Anyways, thanks all for posting this for me and for enjoying the mod. This was a pain to get working just due to the sheer number of functions I had to track down and edit. The source code is up on GitHub, if you want to take a gander at it.
This post has been edited by InvisibleUp: 23 January 2019 - 03:20 PM

#297 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:12 AM

• A "Community Enigma"?
  • Wiki edits:51
That cool lighting mod got me to go ahead and recover my GameBanana account (they disable it if you're inactive for more than a few weeks...) and I went ahead and finally posted that Sonic 3D Blast Sounds mod I made like, over a year ago

https://gamebanana.com/sounds/43560

• 20 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users