Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: SonicGLvl v0.9 - Now on GitHub - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

SonicGLvl v0.9 - Now on GitHub NOT FOR REGULAR USE - EXPERIMENTAL BRANCH

#16 User is offline Morph 

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:30 PM

• AKA SonicFreak94.
  • Project:SA1/2 hax
  • Wiki edits:11

View PostDario FF, on 09 May 2015 - 09:43 AM, said:

View PostDario FF, on 03 May 2015 - 02:28 PM, said:

I'm finding myself in a situation due to my new job that I'm trying to stay away a bit from programming on my free time considering it's also what I'm currently studying as my career at the moment. I think it's time I just open source what's there. It's not depression (on the contrary since I've wanted to be able to do this for a living for years now), but it's just not a very healthy routine. :v:/>

What is already there is actually usable to a certain degree though, but I think an important improvement to do first would be to re-do the UI with something better like Qt instead of WinAPI.

If you think finally open-sourcing it will let you progress further let me know and I'll do the work it needs to be put in a repository.

SonicGLvl is now open source under the terms of the GPLv3. I did an extensive verification of the code base that all external code has its proper licenses/copyright notices marked as such, but I might've missed something. If that's the case please let me know. Only all original code written for the project is subject under the license.

The code design has changed a lot since I've also learned more about application design over the 2-3 years since I started with this, so I'm sorry for any weird inconsistencies. There's no restrictions to how much we should modify it if it helps in the long run.

You can check the first post for more details and the current development Roadmap.

Great news! Although I have a lot of other projects on my plate right now, I might take a stab at it.
This post has been edited by Morph: 09 May 2015 - 06:31 PM

#17 User is offline S0LV0 

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:12 AM

• Sonic Generations Helpdesk
  • Project:Abusing SMPS

View PostMorph, on 09 May 2015 - 06:30 PM, said:

Great news! Although I have a lot of other projects on my plate right now, I might take a stab at it.

Please, please do. It would make my job so much easier, among others'.

#18 User is offline XChaos 

Posted 21 June 2015 - 06:52 PM

• Project:Sonic Unleashed Project - Unity3D Game
Wow 0.9 is a potential improvement. I see lots of things changed, such as the performance improvement, you did it once more, Dario ;). Though, my pc is dying on graphical memory, so shaders will render black textures, the Game Shaders option should disable in-game shaders and replace them with normal diffuse ones, but hey, I still had a lot of fun with the new features, keep it up Dario!

#19 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:36 AM

• Tech Support Hotline
  • Project:SonicGLvl
I just pushed a couple of new tools to the repository. All these tools are currently using the Qt Framework for its UI and the Open Asset Import Library "Assimp" for supporting a wide range of popular 3D formats with one consistent programming interface. This allows us to slowly move the workflow for creating custom Generations stages outside of Autodesk's tools. I'd appreciate if you could test them out.

Hedgehog Converter: A fully-fledged terrain importer. While being much more capable of dealing with large amounts of geometry and node counts (it will take a while to get used to this, but you'll want to replicate the node distribution of a Generations stage), it also supports the creation of custom Terrain groups that can be manually loaded or unloaded. It also has a much more powerful system for importing to certain mesh layers. All details are in the application.

Posted Image

GIAtlas Converter: A very powerful Global Illumination Atlas importer for all stages, whether custom or even the originals. It contains two operation modes. One mode, Pre-Render, allows you to create the GI Atlas group distribution and test it out in-game with debugging colors. This includes auto-generating the texture sizes depending on the node sizes, using reference paths for quality settings and multiple variables to configure. As the name denotes, this mode is meant to test out your GI distribution before proceeding with an expensive process like rendering the stage. The Post-Render mode allows you to import individual lightmaps or shadowmaps on top of existing GI groups. This goes for both regular stages and custom stages. This makes working with GI much easier, as it detaches the group generation process from the painting process, which can require a lot of trial & error depending on the result ingame.

Posted Image

Havok Converter: A pretty bare-bones tool that allows you to import a model in a common 3D format and convert to use as the collision for a stage. Supports adding properties via custom tags.

Posted Image

The patron for the development of these tools was TwilightZoney, so be sure to send him your thanks if you find these useful. The development of these started around March of this year.

Couple of pending issues that should be resolved if possible:
  • Using a good and open source DDS encoder. The only one capable of good DXT5 textures I found was Nvidia's tool so far.
  • A good Compression/Decompression CAB LZX library. Relying on Microsoft's tools is very unreliable, and they're currently broken in the Windows 10 anniversary update.

Any documentation on how to use these is best kept to the Sonic Community Hacking Guide for Generations. All the tools include links to this page.

A couple of experiments done with these:
Spoiler

This functionality being moved away from GLVL should help lighten the amount of features that need to be done for the rewrite in the future.

Possible future features:
  • Support for Skeletons and Rigging on Hedgehog Converter.
  • Support for Lost World and Unleashed. Lost World is almost done, it just needs to be verified to be working as intended.
  • Skeleton, Animation and Dynamic Rigid Bodies with Convex Hulls support for HavokConverter.
  • Some way to create and edit lights that doesn't rely on a 3D model format. These tools do not currently support light editing, so you'll just have to grab those from the original GLVL converter that uses the Ogre formats or write a custom tool using LibGens.

This post has been edited by Dario FF: 27 August 2016 - 04:14 PM

#20 User is offline S0LV0 

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:48 AM

• Sonic Generations Helpdesk
  • Project:Abusing SMPS
I'm so happy right now.

Happy to see this stuff finally released. Hopefully it'll make custom levels and other experiments easier than before. Can't wait until we dissolve any need for Autodesk completely :U

#21 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 27 August 2016 - 12:09 PM

• Tech Support Hotline
Thanks S0LV0 for notifying me one of the Qt files (platforms/qwindows.dll) was missing. It's fixed now.
This post has been edited by Dario FF: 27 August 2016 - 12:09 PM

#22 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:34 AM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
Apologies for the bump, but I was curious. Any updates done to this lately? I wanted to pick up my Lost World mod again for some reason but the current Lost World version is kinda buggy as I believe that was just a temporary solution anyway.

#23 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:24 PM

• Tech Support Hotline
There's no current updates planned for the unstable versions that were developed with WinAPI. The focus of any new versions will likely go into the Qt branch, which is far too early to be as usable as the WinAPI version. I've not been commissioned to develop it further so far so progress is strictly on a WYSIWYG basis on Github publicly.

Unless another contributor steps in or I get a significant chunk of free time (very unlikely) it's not likely to get much progress.
This post has been edited by Dario FF: 20 October 2016 - 03:25 PM

#24 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:52 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostDario FF, on 20 October 2016 - 03:24 PM, said:

There's no current updates planned for the unstable versions that were developed with WinAPI. The focus of any new versions will likely go into the Qt branch, which is far too early to be as usable as the WinAPI version. I've not been commissioned to develop it further so far so progress is strictly on a WYSIWYG basis on Github publicly.

Unless another contributor steps in or I get a significant chunk of free time (very unlikely) it's not likely to get much progress.

Understandable, thanks for the info update.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users