Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Account Security - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Account Security How to prevent being hijacked

#46 User is offline Katzu Niku 

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:05 AM

• Mondo cool
  • Wiki edits:106
QUOTE (Andlabs @ Oct 30 2009, 01:18 AM)
I feel it is time to just drop this paranoia about these members coming back and looking toward the future.

Sonic Retro has survived worse.

Agreed. Otherwise we may as well just lay down our swords here, because living in paranoia is a far worse experience. If more shit happens in the future we can deal with it then, knowing that we took every precaution possible, but otherwise let's just go about our way.

#47 User is offline The Shad 

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:05 AM

• ↑ & ↓ & ↻
  • Wiki edits:83
Wait, we got swords? I never got a sword. How come everyone else has swords?

#48 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:19 AM

• Project:Atomic Sonic Part II
QUOTE (Andlabs @ Oct 29 2009, 11:18 PM)
I feel it is time to just drop this paranoia about these members coming back and looking toward the future.

That still doesn't change the fact that the members who haven't changed their passwords aren't at risk. You can't just sweep under a rug and hope it will go away. Those who haven't taken the precaution of changing their password should do so as soon as possible. It's better to be safe than sorry.

#49 User is offline Andlabs 

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:31 AM

• 「いっきまーす」
  • Project:Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
  • Wiki edits:7,061
QUOTE (Chimpo @ Oct 30 2009, 06:19 AM)

That still doesn't change the fact that the members who haven't changed their passwords aren't at risk. You can't just sweep under a rug and hope it will go away. Those who haven't taken the precaution of changing their password should do so as soon as possible. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Yes, having their passwords changed is important. Spending time worrying about when and how those accounts will be jeopardized isn't.

Keeping strictly on the topic of account security, I have a question: have people with jeopardized accounts been contacted face to face/text window to text window/Skype to Skype/etc. yet? If not, it may be something to look into.

And just out of curiosity, do some of the members even come here anymoer?

#50 User is offline Afti 

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:36 AM

• ORIGINAL MACHINE
  • Wiki edits:336
I am proud to say I now have the most secure password on the forums.

100 random characters, alphanumeric and punctuation.

I encourage others to do likewise.

#51 User is offline The Shad 

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:44 AM

• ↑ & ↓ & ↻
  • Wiki edits:83
Yeah, I don't care that much about my account on a Sonic forum.

My email, maybe. Not a Sonic forum.

#52 User is offline Afti 

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:45 AM

• ORIGINAL MACHINE
  • Wiki edits:336
Oh, I just do that for everything.

#53 User is offline Xkeeper 

Posted 30 October 2009 - 06:52 AM

• get in the zone. badnikzone.
  • Project:herpa derpa doop
  • Wiki edits:221
And as far as password security goes, we need to remember that no password is totally secure.

Missing the message here, champ. Several people have easily-cracked passwords like "shadow", "sonic", "123456", etc. That's the problem.

#54 User is offline PsychoSk8r 

Posted 30 October 2009 - 06:55 AM

• HighKnights
  • Project:30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
  • Wiki edits:19
QUOTE (Andlabs @ Oct 30 2009, 10:31 AM)
Keeping strictly on the topic of account security, I have a question: have people with jeopardized accounts been contacted face to face...

Ironically, I used to hang out with Peter, and got on quite well. Anyway, my account was actually taken over by them. They don't care who they piss off it seems.
Last time I saw pete, I actually had a genuine apology off him, for something I won't go into details about (happened IRL), but you could see it was genuine. That may have been the last shred of decency he had. I just hope that the good old peter, who I used to adore back in 2003 is still in there somewhere.

#55 User is offline Commadoo 

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:12 AM

• Wiki edits:40
I like to think that everybody has some decency, people have bad lives outside of the internet, so put their rape faces on and get all hard to bother people on the internet.

#56 User is offline Xkeeper 

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:27 AM

• get in the zone. badnikzone.
  • Project:herpa derpa doop
  • Wiki edits:221
I'll just say that you really can't tell anything about real life people from how they act on the internet, and trying is an exercise in pure futility.

#57 User is offline Blanche Hodapp 

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:09 AM

• *urp*
  • Wiki edits:120
QUOTE (Afti @ Oct 30 2009, 10:36 AM)
100 random characters, alphanumeric and punctuation.

Fantastic.

I like to remember my passwords, though

#58 User is offline Skaarg 

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:28 AM

• Wiki edits:4
QUOTE (Andlabs @ Oct 30 2009, 01:18 AM)
Skaarg, in retrospect, wasn't what you did to the board pretty much doing what he did to us (albeit on a much lower level)? Unless that wasn't you?

I'll admit it's not something I was proud of doing, but I felt it was the only way I could get my point across to him that I wanted nothing more to do with him and his community. Every person that has tried to abandon him and #stuff in the past has been barraged by x64 trying to get them to stay and be his "friend".

To elaborate on how x64 tries to keep people in his circle last night on my cell phone I had 2 missed calls and a string of 6 text messages with the following:

I shut down #stuff for good. I can't bear to lose any more friends. I apologize to you for the things I've done that interfered in your reputation, and I'm sorry about the rotten shit I've done in general. I just really wish you would stay my friend. I know I never got to know you well but you have to know that I would never ever do anything to intentionally piss you off. I had grudges with Tweaker and that's why I was such a dick to him, but I would never take advantage of you. No words I say could ever convey that. I'm sorry if you don't believe me, but it's true.
I am a wreck and I have no one that I can talk to. I need your friendship more than anything else right now. All I'm asking is that you talk to me.

I replied to this just saying I was at work, and I'm not going to deal with it now and he says this stuff about how he's at work and breaking down in his cube.

At first this might seem very sincere, but the thing is I've seen these words before. These are similar to words he's told people such as Tweaker to get them to stay friends with him, and then he's turned on them. Despite what he may say about how he took the moral high road he and harrosin are the ones that told peter to buy that cart mentioned in the oldbie lounge. Peter was skeptical at first, but was being pushed by x64 and harrosin which is why he left them.

Another thing about x64 where he donated the "stuffcon fund" to Retro. If it is even true just to note not a dime of that money was his. I know about $20 was mine if I recall and the rest belonged to other members so don't bother thanking x64 for that. I don't think anyone will have a problem with it ending up here I know I don't because I was just figuring it as a "poor investment". =P

QUOTE (PsychoSk8r @ Oct 30 2009, 06:55 AM)
Keeping strictly on the topic of account security, I have a question: have people with jeopardized accounts been contacted face to face...

Ironically, I used to hang out with Peter, and got on quite well. Anyway, my account was actually taken over by them. They don't care who they piss off it seems.
Last time I saw pete, I actually had a genuine apology off him, for something I won't go into details about (happened IRL), but you could see it was genuine. That may have been the last shred of decency he had. I just hope that the good old peter, who I used to adore back in 2003 is still in there somewhere.

I've talked to peter yesterday about things, and he seems he wants to remove himself completely from what #stuff and people like x64 tried to make him do. I'm not sure if he'll come around this community anymore.

Anyways I say we move on from this because hopefully it is all finished now.
This post has been edited by Skaarg: 30 October 2009 - 11:53 AM

#59 User is offline Glisp 

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:33 AM

• It's classic Super Sonic with Green eyes. Get over it.
  • Project:None at the moment I'm afraid.
  • Wiki edits:73
QUOTE (PsychoSk8r @ Oct 30 2009, 07:55 AM)

What was left of him is gone. The big bad x64 monster gobbled him all up......Then spit out the monster he is now.

#60 User is offline Blanche Hodapp 

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:01 PM

• *urp*
  • Wiki edits:120
Yes, because you know him better than his friend does (or, perhaps, did).

BUT NEVER MIND

• 6 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users