Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Unused enemy sprites by Sonic 2 artist Tom Payne - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 8 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Unused enemy sprites by Sonic 2 artist Tom Payne from Sega Digitizer disks extracted by Frank Cifaldi, Rich Whitehouse

#1 User is online Neo 

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:51 AM

• Not actually a clacker or a jack
  • Project:Sonic 3 Unlocked
  • Wiki edits:1
Apparently Tom Payne went to a vintage game store in California and dropped off a fuckton of Sonic 2 development floppies?

EDIT: Pending a proper writeup, here is a twitter thread from the Video Game History Foundation account.

View PostICEknight, on 19 April 2019 - 06:30 PM, said:

Here's all the extracted graphics:

Sonic 1
yamaguchi

Sonic 2
sonic_enemies_backup
metropolis
bob

Spinny & Spike
pc_disk_again

B-Bomb
b-bomb_asteroid_enemy_b
b-bomb_plutonia_lower_class
b-bomb_plutonia_upper_class
b-bomb_plutonian_enemies
b-bomb_tech_world_blocks

Misc Sonic 2, B-Bomb and Spinny & Spike
tom_payne_dpaint

Scans
Sonic 2 development documents

Credit goes to Frank Cifaldi, Rich Whitehouse and the Video Game History Foundation.

View PostRich, on 20 April 2019 - 10:56 AM, said:

I took the liberty of exporting all of the DIG3 files to paletted PNG files with -dig3mincanv -pngpal:

http://richwhitehous..._sti_png256.zip

The canvas is expanded to 320x224, which seems to be the standard. All of the original palettes and indices are intact. For multi-part files, where multiple palettes are stored for each part, I'm intentionally only collapsing palettes if every entry in them is fully identical. So you'll see duplicate colors in the palette, with each part's palette laid out sequentially. Areas of the canvas which are never written to reference palette index 0xFF, as none of the files go that high. This allows you to change that palette entry's color to conveniently change the background color, which by default is black.

Oh, and on the note of digging through images for deleted data in the unreferenced sectors - I did check a couple of the disks already. I found very slightly older versions of the material we already have, and a dig3 version of INTRO.LBM. The INTRO.LBM on the disk was produced by dig2lbm, you can tell because the colors aren't expanded to their full range. (viewing the dig3 source in Noesis will show you better color contrast to the converted lbm) That said, I didn't go searching for dig3 headers in all of the disks, or start searching for scrapped lbm headers or other likely candidates. Many of the disks look to have never been written more than once, but there is still a bit of extra digging to be done.

This post has been edited by Neo: 20 April 2019 - 11:10 AM

#2 User is offline Hez 

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:05 AM

• Asshole
  • Project:Your mother
  • Wiki edits:27

View PostNeo, on 17 April 2019 - 10:51 AM, said:

w...wait a minute? This should be bigger news. I see metropolis written on one of those. Why is this not bigger news?!

#3 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:32 AM

• match up tails to the cards
  • Project:you just can't catch 'em, wiggly worms
  • Wiki edits:20,569
I imagine those are the same disks ICEKnight unearthed back in the day.

Bit annoying - if he was keen to part with them someone could have jumped in and got these things preserved properly. Now it's all up in the air.

#4 User is offline Gryson 

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:59 AM

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 17 April 2019 - 11:32 AM, said:

I imagine those are the same disks ICEKnight unearthed back in the day.

Bit annoying - if he was keen to part with them someone could have jumped in and got these things preserved properly. Now it's all up in the air.

That instagram post says "Wednesday @nkdbob @jesterpezz and Frank Cifildi will be coming to the store to get these preserved."

I think we're going to be OK.

#5 User is offline 360 

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:29 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Yeah fucking huge news if I'm being honest. Even if there's only a small chance these will have anything new. Sonic 2 is what Retro was built upon.

Deserves a new thread, but maybe when the contents of the disks are (hopefully) made available?

#6 User is offline Xilla 

Posted 17 April 2019 - 05:32 PM

• No promotion for you, laddy.
The B-Bomb stuff might be of great interest too, seeing as he created graphics for what-could-have-been Cyber City Zone and what-would-become The Machine for that game

#7 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:42 PM

• Wiki edits:18
Man, I'm so glad that those are finally going to be preserved.

#8 User is offline Eric Wright 

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:36 PM

• Born into this.
  • Wiki edits:12
https://twitter.com/...863819185774601
https://twitter.com/...527168810639360

am I super late to the party about this or something?
randomly came across it this evening, figured Retro would have SOME kind of chatter about it, but didn't seem to find anything...

Petaluma was a 10 minute drive from where I was for the last four months, I had actually meant to check out that store while I was out there but never got around to it.

are "nkdbob" "jesterpezz" and "Frank Cifildi" any part of whatever's left of the sonic research community? I'm so out of touch with all this shit lol

#9 User is offline 360 

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:00 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
We had a brief discussion about it here when Neo alerted everyone about it. Obviously the Sonic 2 stuff could be of the greatest potential magnitude amidst the other games - though the reason we (and I) held off in making a thread is because we wanted to wait for everything to be released to have a proper discussion about it.

That said it is awesome you made a thread as in hindsight it probably deserves discussion as the situation progresses and unfolds - and as hopefully the stuff is released and revealed.
This post has been edited by 360: 18 April 2019 - 10:01 PM

#10 User is offline Eric Wright 

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:15 PM

• Born into this.
  • Wiki edits:12
lol i just miss the days of Mad Hype (™) over prospective new shit being released like back in the day :P Stumbling on that twitter post was like a 15 year flashback

I know I had seen pictures of one disk and chatter about it a few years ago;
http://www.retrocoll...ace-part-4.html

but forgot (or never knew) whether they landed in the hands of anybody competent enough to actually preserve/respect/dissect them. Seeing "bubbler" written on the disk stood out 'cause i remembered that was one of the lost enemies or something like that, back at a time when so much stuff was still being uncovered. I'd just be happy to see what, if anything, comes from it.

I'm also curious as to just why Tom Payne traded all that stuff in to the store in the first place... it's not exactly "normal old game stuff" that was sitting around in the basement, even if that's exactly what it was doing at his house :P

#11 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:07 AM

It's in good hands, so don't worry about the contents not being preserved/released or anything.

EDIT: Images got leaked out of the blue, here's a mirror so that wou guys won't get intrusive ads while browsing them:

Sonic 1
yamaguchi

Sonic 2
sonic_enemies_backup
metropolis
bob

Spinny & Spike
pc_disk_again

B-Bomb
b-bomb_asteroid_enemy_b
b-bomb_plutonia_lower_class
b-bomb_plutonia_upper_class
b-bomb_plutonian_enemies
b-bomb_tech_world_blocks

Misc Sonic 2 and B-Bomb
tom_payne_dpaint

Scans
Sonic 2 development documents (1/2)
Sonic 2 development documents (2/2)

Credit goes to Frank Cifaldi, Rich Whitehouse and the Video Game History Foundation.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 21 April 2019 - 01:50 PM

#12 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 19 April 2019 - 11:56 AM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Yeah I was tempted to split those posts out into a separate thread but figured it'd happen anyway when the contents were dumped. No matter, this one's fine now: I've moved the posts in here.

#13 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:31 PM

• Model2wannaB
  • Project:Formerly Sonic the Fighters
IT'S LIVE!

#14 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:59 PM

Oh, that guy released Frank's stuff as-is before he could finish documenting everything in the full-fledged article that he was preparing. How nice.

#15 User is offline Krigo 

Posted 19 April 2019 - 05:06 PM

• Wiki edits:30
Frank tweeted about it:

"Man I wish you would have talked to us about this before publishing, we're still in the middle of reverse engineering the rest of the files etc., we only just archived these two days ago. Kinda jumped the gun on the reveal IMO.

I have a lot of theories about what these files are that I wanted to confirm with Tom, that's what we were working on. As it is right now it's just a mess of content with no context. Please at least credit @DickWhitehouse with reverse-engineering the Sega Digitizer format."

Seems like a really shitty situation all around.
This post has been edited by Krigo: 19 April 2019 - 05:25 PM

• 8 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users