don't click here

Announcing the Sonic Retro App

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by GerbilSoft, Apr 1, 2012.

1. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Announcing the Sonic Retro App, designed exclusively for Microsoft® Windows® and Google® Chrome OS®.

Exclusive features:
    • Direct access to all of Sonic Retro's subsites.
    • Simple to use; no extensions, add-ons, or any of that bloatware.
    • Sonic runs when pages are loading!

Download it now:

Here's a screenshot of the Microsoft® Windows® version:
    [​IMG]

EDIT: On some systems, you may need to register the three bundled OCX files with the system. To do this, open a command prompt (Administrator Command Prompt on Vista and later), and run the following comands:

EDIT: You may need to run regsvr32 on the three OCX files included with the Sonic Retro App. To do this, open a command line (Administrator command line on Vista or later), cd to the Sonic Retro App directory, and run the following commands:

Code (Text):
    1. regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx
    2. regsvr32 coolbar4.ocx
    3. regsvr32 picclp32.ocx
    I tested this on a Win7 64-bit system and it seems to have worked. (Only coolbar4.ocx and picclp32.ocx needed registration; mscomctl.ocx already existed.) Also, some users have reported success when setting compatibility mode to Windows 98 or XP SP3.

2. Skaarg

Skaarg

Fucking lazy admins on here need to fix the bugs on their site. I get script errors when using the Sonic Retro App. I'm thinking about trashing firefox and just using the Sonic Retro App to browse Retro all day long!

3. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    It doesn't work in Win8 x64.

Though the ChromeOS app works surprisingly well in Firefox! :specialed:

4. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    I'm not sure if Windows 8 simply doesn't like VB6 apps or if it's some issue with OCX registration or whatnot, but I don't have any Windows 8 machines to test this. If you have an XP virtual machine, it should work there.

EDIT: It seems there's some compatibility issue with 64-bit Windows. I'll diagnose the issue and update the first post with a solution soon.

5. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Requires gradients and indented text.

6. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    I love you so much! Finally can I browse Sonic Retro on my brand new 133 MHz, 128 MB computer with that awesome 8 GB hard disk.

Say... why does this new computer refuse to run a Sega CD emulation at more than 10 FPS?

7. Yuzu

Yuzu

The Google Chrome OS version is amazing, simply mindblowing how far browser development has gone.

8. Skaarg

Skaarg

If you are having issues with this app on x64 operating systems (it seems hit and miss) please uninstall your current OS and update to Windows 95 or 98 (FE).

9. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Oh man I've been waiting for an App like this! Cannot wait to try this on Chrome OS once I get back home!

10. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    Excellent stuff. Truly, this is Sonic Retro as I imagined it.

To be totally frank, though, this made me notice the new front-page layout. It's quite nice.

11. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Now if we could get a nice Retro app for the iOS... I would love that.
    Fuck, I'd pay for that. And you thought Taxman's Sonic CD was 99c well spent...

12. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Now with more Androidy goodness!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Download the APK here! Requires Android 2.2 or higher.

13. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Doesn't work on my 64-bit Windows. Also, if this is to view the Sonic Retro site and forums, then what's the point in this app when we have IE, Chrome, FireFox, etc?

Or am I missing the point?

14. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator

Clearly you are not witnessing the same innovative genius we are.

Have you checked your calendar recently? Look what today is! Who could have predicted such marvelous technological prowess in this day and age?

15. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    It's a joke toward's today's "definition" of an application. Today, an "app" for smart phones is commonly just a webpage, nothing more.

And yes, I'm being a buzzkill, but I don't care - Gerbil's absolutely right to rip on this because it's a truth that needs to change.

16. f2bnp

f2bnp

Is there any way to get this to work on DOS 6.22?

17. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Will you also make a port for Windows Phone 7 and iOS?

18. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    I was aware it's April Fools, so was aware this stuff was going to happen. But when I saw above posts saying "wow" and etc, that threw me off so I thought it was genuine =P

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Work of genius, though I did panic when getting the password wrong made my screens go blank for a few seconds =P

20. dsrb

dsrb

Yeah… That's part of the joke. :psyduck: It happens in almost every joke thread here.