Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Streets of Rage 4 - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 5 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Streets of Rage 4

#31 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:39 AM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostSuperSnoopy, on 28 August 2018 - 03:38 AM, said:

I for one am very happy about the art style: I love 2d animation and I love that they decided to go with it instead of yet another pixel art game.

Mania looked great and it make sense for it to use a pixel art style, but I think that nowadays, too many games are using it as a crutch because they don't have the time/talent to make good looking 2d sprites.
I won't name any games because I don't want to be disrespectful, but so many 2d games I played recently that made me go: "why on earth are they using pixel art?"

I guess it's all up to personal preferences in the end, but I think it's good that HD sprites are getting more representation, because I honestly think the market is oversaturated with pixel art games.

I'm with you here. Mania was a very nice looking game, and given that it used beefed up assets from former games it made a lot of sense to go that route. But this is a new thing and not a Streets of Rage Mania. I'd rather see a new more modern art style than the 8000th game this year that does retro call backs via pixel art.

There's certainly room for both but I'd like to see HD sprites/art get more representation.

But anyway, I wonder what other characters will come back? I also wonder if this leather gay will be in this game :v:

Posted Image

Apparently he was in Bare Knuckle 3 but was cut from the US/EU versions of the game (which I never really played but I heard was butchered a fair amount)

#32 User is offline mentski 

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:46 PM

• Pfff.
  • Project:Being a mysterious face.

View PostSuperSnoopy, on 28 August 2018 - 03:38 AM, said:

...too many games are using it as a crutch because they don't have the time/talent to make good looking 2d sprites.
I won't name any games because I don't want to be disrespectful...

Implying that pixel art is somehow quicker or involves less talent, in any way, is a bit disrespectful regardless, yo.

I can only speak for myself, but having the freedom to draw anything I want rather than having to deal with a low resolution canvas and a limited palette is a hell of a lot less time consuming for me.

#33 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 28 August 2018 - 05:28 PM

• Wiki edits:18
Looks very good although not what I'd expect from a Streets of Rage 4, I must say.

#34 User is offline High Fidelity 

Posted 28 August 2018 - 05:29 PM

So just seen this, don't want to be a debbie downer but I would have preferred a 90's anime style over the current one, not really my thing.

But as long as it plays good this is gonna be fun to drink beer and play with friends before a night down the pub

#35 User is offline 360 

Posted 01 September 2018 - 04:20 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Some online gaming entites have played the game and CheapAssGamer said it's amazing:

https://twitter.com/...603064852500480
https://twitter.com/...645962239258625

Whilst ArsTechnica were more specific and posted a preview from a behind closed doors hands-on at PAX:

https://arstechnica....-us-back-to-94/

And also said it's very good - though still early at this stage. They asked about the soundtrack and were told there'd be an announcement coming up about it in the future seemingly confirming that Yuzo Koshiro is very probably scoring the game.

All sounding very good so far. Positive previews, particularly this early, is super promising.
This post has been edited by 360: 01 September 2018 - 04:21 PM

#36 User is offline Xilla 

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:00 PM

• No promotion for you, laddy.
Another preview here

The new juggling mechanic seems like the next logical evolution to the core SoR gameplay. The 3rd game was released shortly before juggling really became a thing in fighting games.

I'm also gonna assume the Health recovery thing will replace 3's Special Gauge.

#37 User is offline High Fidelity 

Posted 02 September 2018 - 03:59 AM

Nice, cheers for the info.

Must say the art style is growing on me

#38 User is offline 360 

Posted 02 September 2018 - 09:02 AM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon

View PostXilla, on 01 September 2018 - 09:00 PM, said:

Another preview here

The new juggling mechanic seems like the next logical evolution to the core SoR gameplay. The 3rd game was released shortly before juggling really became a thing in fighting games.

I'm also gonna assume the Health recovery thing will replace 3's Special Gauge.

This preview is also glowing. The primary point they make is that it feels exactly like classic Streets of Rage meaning they nailed the gameplay and engine - but there's some degree of evolution to earn its status as a sequel. Good news all-round - and I think the previews that are coming out being uniformly super positive is a strong sign that this'll be an awesome game. Also:

Expect a big announcement regarding the classic soundtrack too.

This heavily infers it's Yuzo Koshiro on the soundtrack - or at least some attempt will be made so that the soundtrack echoes the original games. According to this we'll find out soon.

#39 User is offline mentski 

Posted 02 September 2018 - 03:36 PM

• Pfff.
  • Project:Being a mysterious face.
I will not believe the game plays "Just how you remember" until somebody explains why Blaze's flying kick doesn't score a knockdown 34 seconds into the trailer.

If you want to put an enemy into hit stun from jumping, you use the down+attack move, which in Blaze's case is a jumping punch. Everybody knows that.

...Don't they?

#40 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 02 September 2018 - 03:59 PM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
I'm surprised they kept Blaze's outfit.

#41 User is offline Jason 

Posted 02 September 2018 - 04:18 PM

• *Results not lab tested.
Well, mostly. Axel's beard and Blaze's leather jacket make me think they want to make them more gruff-looking.

I need a full playthrough of the first level to fully convince me, but good first impressions are encouraging.

#42 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 02 September 2018 - 04:49 PM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
I'm really only referring to her miniskirt. I would've been sure it was going bye bye.

#43 User is offline Jason 

Posted 02 September 2018 - 05:19 PM

• *Results not lab tested.
They gave her red panties, so you wouldn't notice as much. :v:.

#44 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 02 September 2018 - 07:00 PM

• Project:Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
  • Wiki edits:6
I do love the fact that they gave Blaze a jacket in game, a nice nod to the official artwork from SoR3.

Posted Image

#45 User is offline Xilla 

Posted 02 September 2018 - 08:38 PM

• No promotion for you, laddy.

View Postmentski, on 02 September 2018 - 03:36 PM, said:

I will not believe the game plays "Just how you remember" until somebody explains why Blaze's flying kick doesn't score a knockdown 34 seconds into the trailer.

If you want to put an enemy into hit stun from jumping, you use the down+attack move, which in Blaze's case is a jumping punch. Everybody knows that.

...Don't they?

I've been trying to work out the one thing that feels "off" about the gameplay as seen in the trailer and that seems to be the very thing. Hope they fix that, especially with it being a basic fundamental that's been around since the very first game!

I was actually thinking about just how many stages the game should have. 8 wouldn't cut it today really, unless they go for the SoR Remake method of having multiple paths (having 8 REALLY long stages would just bring back horrible memories of Sega Ages Golden Axe)

• 5 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users