Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Streets of Rage 4 - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 5 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Streets of Rage 4

#16 User is offline 360 

Posted 27 August 2018 - 02:08 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Posted Image

https://twitter.com/...137319211556864

It's quite cryptic and doesn't confirm (or deny) anything but reading between the lines I'm seeing that as indicative that he's involved - as in "I'm under an NDA and can't say anything at the moment until the publisher makes the announcement per their marketing schedule". Wishful thinking? Maybe. But surely if he wasn't the composer he'd be free to just say "Sorry not doing it". Thoughts?

God I hope he is actually doing the soundtrack. We'd have amazing visuals and killer music. It'd be true to SOR's ethos and legacy.
This post has been edited by 360: 27 August 2018 - 02:19 PM

#17 User is offline trakker 

Posted 27 August 2018 - 02:43 PM

• The guy that's been warned!
  • Project:http://comicfury.com/comicprofile.php?url=Lunate-Epsilon
I drew Blaze =D
Posted Image

#18 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 27 August 2018 - 02:44 PM

• maybe she's born with it
  • Project:maybe it's maybelline
  • Wiki edits:20,569
It's telling that it isn't Sega themselves putting this up in lights. Distancing themselves from a product doesn't mean the product sucks, but... why would you distance yourselves from it?

My concern is that the enemies look exactly like the ones from Streets of Rage 2, which means the biggest risk on display is Axel having a beard.

Which reminds me of the Assassin's Creed approach to aging - men grow beards as they age. You get one when you turn 35 and it goes grey around 50.

#19 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 27 August 2018 - 03:39 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

View Posttrakker, on 27 August 2018 - 02:43 PM, said:

I drew Blaze =D
Posted Image

Nice! I plan on trying to draw them myself (or at least Blaze, she's my fav of the series) but I've been pretty busy at work today.

Maybe I'll draw it tonight.

#20 User is offline 360 

Posted 27 August 2018 - 03:48 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon

View Posttrakker, on 27 August 2018 - 02:43 PM, said:

I drew Blaze =D

That's fucking fantastic. Just gorgeous. Excellent work dude. :)

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 27 August 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:

It's telling that it isn't Sega themselves putting this up in lights. Distancing themselves from a product doesn't mean the product sucks, but... why would you distance yourselves from it?

Yeah this is worrying. It makes this feel like less of a serious legit follow-up to SOR given it's not "officially from Sega" if that makes sense. Or Ancient for example, the original developers. I think that worries me more. Yuzo Koshiro was responsible for the music yes, but it was the company he was connected to, Ancient that made the original games. His Sister even did the character art. And apparently they wanted to make SOR4 for years. This seems kind of divorced from the original creators and team at Sega - particularly as we're still waiting for confirmation whether Yuzo will be involved in the soundtrack. I mean on the one hand you have Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap. Sega distanced themselves from that and it turned out excellent (same developers too). Or Monster Boy (still yet to be released but looks good). But then you have Sonic Mania and Sega shouted it from the rooftops as a huge release - regardless of it being worked on primarily by an external studio/developers. So why can't they do the same here? Wonder Boy is one thing. Sega don't even own the IP for example. But SOR is practically Sega's DNA. It's signature Megadrive-era Sega.

I'm super glad this is happening. Sega could have easily just let SOR remain in dormancy for another 20 years - but I need to learn more about this game to become excited for it.
This post has been edited by 360: 27 August 2018 - 03:51 PM

#21 User is offline Jason 

Posted 27 August 2018 - 04:11 PM

• *Results not lab tested.
Sega isn't involved beyond licensing. They didn't talk much about Shenmue 3, but since they're publishing 1&2, they have a whole campaign for it. It's up to Dotemu to promote this.
This post has been edited by Jason: 27 August 2018 - 04:11 PM

#22 User is offline dot.kh 

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:33 PM

• gNaRZ!1
I better keep my big mouth shut because everyone's super hyped for it, but the nostalgia is strong with this one. Nothing beats hi quality hand drawn graphics, except when the characters look too chubby and there's a transparent traffic cone in the background. I know I sound stupid, but Streets of Rage has always been a serious game, no?

#23 User is offline mentski 

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:41 PM

• Pfff.
  • Project:Being a mysterious face.
I'd be a hell of a lot less worried about this if I knew somebody like Bomberlink of SORR fame was behind programming the fighting engine and not the people responsible for this:

...That's all I'm saying.
This post has been edited by Overlord: 28 August 2018 - 03:06 PM
Reason for edit: Remove the s in https

#24 User is offline Bobinator 

Posted 27 August 2018 - 09:26 PM

• My thoughts on your posting
  • Wiki edits:113

View Postmentski, on 27 August 2018 - 07:41 PM, said:

I'd be a hell of a lot less worried about this if I knew somebody like Bomberlink of SORR fame was behind programming the fighting engine and not the people responsible for this:

https://www.youtube....h?v=wQNqmTZdflQ

...That's all I'm saying.

You keep bringing this game up, but I honestly really enjoyed it for what it was. And the reviews on Steam are generally pretty positive, so it kind of looks like you're in the minority. What's your issue with the game, exactly?
This post has been edited by Bobinator: 27 August 2018 - 09:27 PM

#25 User is offline mentski 

Posted 27 August 2018 - 09:56 PM

• Pfff.
  • Project:Being a mysterious face.

View PostBobinator, on 27 August 2018 - 09:26 PM, said:

You keep bringing this game up, but I honestly really enjoyed it for what it was. And the reviews on Steam are generally pretty positive, so it kind of looks like you're in the minority. What's your issue with the game, exactly?
If you think that the fighting in that is remotely, in any way, in Streets of Rage's league, then that's a low ass standard.

"Enjoying it for what it was" is not enough for SoR. Would you hand over the reigns of a new Sonic game to the programmers of an "average" momentum/speed-based platformer tribute game? Or would you rather trust people like... oh, I don't know... Taxman and Stealth?

I mull over the minutiae of how the SoR games play like the guys over here do about classic Sonic. It's that important to me, and so far, the ONLY person who's ever done it justice, in any of the many, many fangames and pseudo-tributes is Bomberlink with SoRR.

All I can hope that in the 4 or so years since they did Streets of Fury EX, they learnt and improved a whole lot, because right now I see them as a weak link.

I've got nothing but respect for Omar and Lizardcube, I've been following that guy since he made Meka and run SMS Power, even sent him SMS carts back in the day, and I know he knew the Wonder Boy games backwards to do The Dragon's Trap justice. But I've got to be convinced that the people doing the mechanics here know the same about SoR.
This post has been edited by mentski: 27 August 2018 - 10:08 PM

#26 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:17 PM

• Project:Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
  • Wiki edits:6
Hmm I don't know if this is the right art style to go with a Streets of Rage game. The Wonderboy remake worked perfectly but IMO Streets of Rage would be better off if it wasn't excessive with the toon factor. It also doesn't help that the background and foreground look completely static making a dull first impression. If they're still being heavily worked on then I'm fine holding back that opinion but still even if that's the case I don't think they should have released a trailer unless they know that's what the final product is going to look like. Not knocking the artist here, who IMO is incredibly gifted.
This post has been edited by steveswede: 27 August 2018 - 10:18 PM

#27 User is offline nesboy43 

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:43 PM

This just doesn't feel right. I adore this series, gameplay, controls, visuals, music. This art style does not work and is like a different game. We need neon flashing signs and dark night stages, gorgeous pixel art. This is Ed, Ed, and Eddy the game. I wish they left it alone if they aren't going to do it right.

#28 User is offline Hukos 

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:03 AM

View PostYeow, on 27 August 2018 - 12:39 PM, said:

Wow, outta nowhere.

I recall Sega expressing interest in bringing back their (classic) IPs but I've noticed that quite a few cases here are Sega loaning the keys to another publisher/developer and telling them “eh, we've sat on the IP for years, and we have zero plans to do anything with it now or in the future...so have fun!”

So far, we have:

- Bayonetta with Platinum/Nintendo (B2/B3)
- Wonder Boy with Lizardcube/DotEmu (Dragon's Trap remake)
- Shenmue with Ys.Net (Shenmue 3)
And now Streets of Rage with Lizardcube/DotEmu again, alongside Crush Card Games. (I do wonder if these guys considered calling Bomber Games, considering they did that SoR Remake that Sega took down.)

On the topic of classic Sega IPs revivals, I also can't forget about Toejam and Earl receiving Back in the Groove very soon; although in that case, HumaNature Games has always owned the IP IIRC.

Hopefully SoR 4 turns out good. It's been one of the most requested sequels to Sega's IPs for years, and it would be a big shame to waste that “4” number on a poor project (*cough*Sonic 4*cough*).

I wonder what classic Sega IP gets brought back from the grave next? Comix Zone and Vectorman would be really cool.... (hint hint)

Don't forget that there's an (updated) port of the original Phantasy Star coming to the Switch, as well as an updated port of Thunder Force IV on the way (technically that one was Technosoft's doing, but Sega now owns the rights to that franchise since Technosoft is RIP). Yeah, I'd prefer Sega throwing all their muscle behind continuing a lot of these franchises, but if this is the way it's going to be, I'd say it's better than nothing. I bring those two up because those franchises haven't seen original games in years so if they do well, maybe we could see a real revival of those IPs (I mean, what exactly is Reiko Kodama up to these days? :v: ).

#29 User is offline SuperSnoopy 

Posted 28 August 2018 - 03:38 AM

• I prefer Sonic Advance to Sonic 2
  • Project:Learning how to fucking draw
I for one am very happy about the art style: I love 2d animation and I love that they decided to go with it instead of yet another pixel art game.

Mania looked great and it make sense for it to use a pixel art style, but I think that nowadays, too many games are using it as a crutch because they don't have the time/talent to make good looking 2d sprites.
I won't name any games because I don't want to be disrespectful, but so many 2d games I played recently that made me go: "why on earth are they using pixel art?"

I guess it's all up to personal preferences in the end, but I think it's good that HD sprites are getting more representation, because I honestly think the market is oversaturated with pixel art games.
This post has been edited by SuperSnoopy: 28 August 2018 - 03:39 AM

#30 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 28 August 2018 - 04:16 AM

As long as it controls tight. Cant ask for more.

• 5 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users